Brewing with cilantro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Horn

Reaction score
I've only done a handful of beers with herbs in them, and really need your advice on this one. My wife and I LOVE cilantro and want to incorporate it into a 5 gallon, all-grain batch.

I am considering adding a bunch of cilantro to a Kolsch I am brewing tomorrow. I don't think that adding it to the boil would produce the desired flavored results so am thinking about adding about 4 cups of chopped fresh cilantro to the secondary. Has anybody ever tried this and how did it turn out? Thanks in advance for any advice.

id watch out for an infection if you add unsanitized/unboiled cilantro to secondary. End of boil might be better.

but on flavor, I would "test" it by adding fresh cilantro to a commercial kolsch poured into a glass. I love cilantro too, but I'm not entirely sure it would mix well with beer. Its worth a try though, good luck!

For me the best part of cilantro is the fresh bright taste. I dont think youll be able to get that if you use it during the boil. i cant say if you could get it using it like dry hop, but if you could i would think that the fresh flavor would dissipate quickly.

Seems the best option is to just add fresh cilantro to the beer glass and muddle (mash it up in the glass) like a Mohito.

That's the cool thing about homebrewing; you can try out pretty much what you like and always be suprised about the results. I'd dunk your cilantro in StarSan for a few minutes then add it to a secondary carboy after primary fermentation. Almost like dry hopping but with herbs. Go for it in the name of science et post your results so that everybody benefit from the experience.

As I understand it the main flavor/aroma component of cilantro is a gas at room temperature. That's why dried forms are useless in cooking. In cooking it's usually added fresh at the very end, immediately before serving, or added to something that's not intended to be heated, e.g., cold spring rolls. So I'd guess your best bet would be to dry hop with it.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I think that we will go with the dry hopping idea and try to dunk all the cilantro in star-san, chop it up, put it in a muslin bag, and put it in the secondary.

The only other idea we had was either to do an infusion with vodka in a separate bottle then add it later, or stuff a randalizer with cilantro and serve the kolsch through that.

Use some vodka infused with cilantro perhaps? If anything you can get an idea of what it may add to the flavor of the beer.

Curious as to how it turns out, SWMBO is a cilantro freak.

Do a Randal. Best story ever. I could see it going ok with a lightly hopped pale ale too.

I was thinking that too. A nice light pale could work really well. I figured I'd start with the kolsch as a base since it is so light and crisp.

Just throw in some liquid soap, it'll have the same flavour profile as Cilantro.

Hehe. I like the flavor or fresh, bright green cilantro but it seems like it is one of those flavors you either love or hate.

Use some vodka infused with cilantro perhaps? If anything you can get an idea of what it may add to the flavor of the beer.

Curious as to how it turns out, SWMBO is a cilantro freak.

That is what my wife wants to do and we may try that. We had a chili pepper beer a few weeks ago where the guy did a vodka infusion and it worked really well.

I'm doing a cilantro infusion in Tequila right now.....
Just brewed a Blonde Ale (with some lime zest and four roasted jalepenos in the boil) yesterday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just threw a few sprigs of Cilantro i grew in my garden into a light scottish ale and it tastes amazing. i think i will brew a corona style lager with some lime extract in the secondary and some cilantro, late in the boil.

I'm doing a cilantro infusion in Tequila right now.....
Just brewed a Blonde Ale (with some lime zest and four roasted jalepenos in the boil) yesterday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I was thinking cilantro and lime zest in vodka would be perfect, perhaps added to a wheat or wit during bottling?

Back