Brewing with cereal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
I found a box of this cereal.

In was in the back of my pantry. My wife wanted me to throw it out but i told her to hold off that I want to figure out some kind of beer i could put it in! So I want to ask people hear what they thought. Maybe I could do a stout or a porter???

If it's not good for consumption (you wife wants to throw it out), why would you want to use it for beer?

Its passed its good by date!! I figured I can try to brew something up. Some experimenting.

I local homebrew club did a random brew where they bought a bunch of cereal and put the names in a hat. Everybody had to draw a name out of a hat and brew with that cereal. I heard there were some good results and some odd ones also. Fruity pebble saison......

I found a box of this cereal.

In was in the back of my pantry. My wife wanted me to throw it out but i told her to hold off that I want to figure out some kind of beer i could put it in! So I want to ask people hear what they thought. Maybe I could do a stout or a porter???
I brewed a batch with corn flakes once. Forgot to pick up flaked corn from the LHBS. Turned out alot stronger than anticipated.Wasn't too bad though.

I local homebrew club did a random brew where they bought a bunch of cereal and put the names in a hat. Everybody had to draw a name out of a hat and brew with that cereal. I heard there were some good results and some odd ones also. Fruity pebble saison......

I'm fairly certain that's how Leinenkugel came up with their Berry Weiss recipe.... :drunk:

Am going to do some experimenting and see what I come up with. I think this stuff might work out ok in a stout or porter.

Cool. How did it come out???

Not bad, believe it or not. It just took a while to figure out how to lauter, since it's just reconstituted wheat/malt flour it doesnt strain easily. I ended up just adding all my sparge water to the mash, letting the grape nuts settle to the bottom and pouring off the liquid through a strainer. It left a lot of liquid in the cereal but it was a $10 batch of beer so I can live with that

^It is quite cheap to brew with cereal. Fantastic. I have used many cereals in beers including: cinnamon toast crunch, frosted flakes, and mini wheats. I keep meaning to try capn crunch in one. You'd be surprised how well cereal works with brewing. :mug: :ban:

^It is quite cheap to brew with cereal. Fantastic. I have used many cereals in beers including: cinnamon toast crunch, frosted flakes, and mini wheats. I keep meaning to try capn crunch in one. You'd be surprised how well cereal works with brewing. :mug: :ban:

Cool that's quite reassuring!!! I am sure what ever I brew up it won't come out that bad!! At least I hope not lol.

Back