Brewing with cereal??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bratrules

Reaction score
I found a box of this cereal.

In was in the back of my pantry. My wife wanted me to throw it out but i told her to hold off that I want to figure out some kind of beer i could put it in! So I want to ask people hear what they thought. Maybe I could do a stout or a porter???

lunchbox

Reaction score
If it's not good for consumption (you wife wants to throw it out), why would you want to use it for beer?

OP
bratrules

bratrules

Reaction score
Its passed its good by date!! I figured I can try to brew something up. Some experimenting.

TBBrewer

Reaction score
I local homebrew club did a random brew where they bought a bunch of cereal and put the names in a hat. Everybody had to draw a name out of a hat and brew with that cereal. I heard there were some good results and some odd ones also. Fruity pebble saison......

justkev52

Reaction score
I found a box of this cereal.

In was in the back of my pantry. My wife wanted me to throw it out but i told her to hold off that I want to figure out some kind of beer i could put it in! So I want to ask people hear what they thought. Maybe I could do a stout or a porter???
I brewed a batch with corn flakes once. Forgot to pick up flaked corn from the LHBS. Turned out alot stronger than anticipated.Wasn't too bad though.

hunter_le five

Sheriff Underscore
Reaction score
I local homebrew club did a random brew where they bought a bunch of cereal and put the names in a hat. Everybody had to draw a name out of a hat and brew with that cereal. I heard there were some good results and some odd ones also. Fruity pebble saison......
I'm fairly certain that's how Leinenkugel came up with their Berry Weiss recipe.... :drunk:

OP
bratrules

bratrules

Reaction score
Am going to do some experimenting and see what I come up with. I think this stuff might work out ok in a stout or porter.

roastquake

Reaction score
do it, I've made a wheat beer with Grape Nuts cereal as the base, have fun!

roastquake

Reaction score
Cool. How did it come out???
Not bad, believe it or not. It just took a while to figure out how to lauter, since it's just reconstituted wheat/malt flour it doesnt strain easily. I ended up just adding all my sparge water to the mash, letting the grape nuts settle to the bottom and pouring off the liquid through a strainer. It left a lot of liquid in the cereal but it was a $10 batch of beer so I can live with that

nickbrew95

Reaction score
^It is quite cheap to brew with cereal. Fantastic. I have used many cereals in beers including: cinnamon toast crunch, frosted flakes, and mini wheats. I keep meaning to try capn crunch in one. You'd be surprised how well cereal works with brewing. :mug: :ban:

OP
bratrules

bratrules

Reaction score
^It is quite cheap to brew with cereal. Fantastic. I have used many cereals in beers including: cinnamon toast crunch, frosted flakes, and mini wheats. I keep meaning to try capn crunch in one. You'd be surprised how well cereal works with brewing. :mug: :ban:
Cool that's quite reassuring!!! I am sure what ever I brew up it won't come out that bad!! At least I hope not lol.