brewing with brown rice - gelatinizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderaxe

Reaction score
i want to add rice to an upcoming brew of mine... my LHBS sells flaked rice and i know this is the most convenient choice, but i have a very large bag of brown rice for cooking with and i'm wondering if i can't just use that, and most importantly if just cooking it normally is enough to gelatinize it to the point where i can then just add it to the mash?

IDK. I just made a beer with jasmine rice in it yesterday. Cooked it for about 45 minutes and did a 90 minute mash.

Never tried brown.

Guy gave me a tip on another board to hit it with a drill and paint stirrer after it's well cooked. Going to try it if I brew it again.

When I have used rices I cooked the heck out of it before adding to the mash....watch your water volumes As the cooled rice holds a lot of water.

when i use rice i leave it in my strike water covered in a low oven overnight before brewday....then liquify it with my malt addition.....after it cools to the proper temp of course....

I always do a cereal mash for rice(has different temps then corn) finishing at 185* then boil for 30 min. The outer coat on the brown rice might inhibit the foam properties, I'm not sure. Should give it a slightly nutty flavor. Can you say Nut Brown Ale?

Let us know how it comes out. I use flaked rice once in a while, but brewing with grains I normally have on hand in bulk for eating strikes me as a good idea to know how to do.

I always do a cereal mash for rice(has different temps then corn) finishing at 185* then boil for 30 min. The outer coat on the brown rice might inhibit the foam properties, I'm not sure. Should give it a slightly nutty flavor. Can you say Nut Brown Ale?

brown rice is just hulled rice... if rice hulls added for sparge/lautering purposes don't affect flavour i don't see why they would in this context

brown rice is just hulled rice... if rice hulls added for sparge/lautering purposes don't affect flavour i don't see why they would in this context

it might be hulled, but it still has the bran.....lots of flavor in the bran, i eat a lot of rice bran for vitamins.....very flavorful....

it might be hulled, but it still has the bran.....lots of flavor in the bran, i eat a lot of rice bran for vitamins.....very flavorful....

okay you're right, i thought the bran of the rice was the same thing as the hull, turns out they're different things.

well i went ahead and ordered the flaked rice anyway, i figured the few extra bucks will be worth it both to save time and reduce variables in what will be an already very experimental beer in a number of different ways...
if i decide to brew a rice lager at some point in the future i'll use my brown rice though and let you know how it turns out. i was inspired by collective arts audio/visual lager which uses brown rice.

Latest posts

Back