Brewing with Brett. Do I need seperate equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcia

Reaction score
Been brewing for about 5-6 years now, never had a beer infected on me. I was planning on planning a Brett IPA, but started to think of I would need extra separate fermenor or other separate equipment to do this.

Experience? Comments etc.

No. Proper sanitation and you'll be fine. If you get into sours (lacto, etc) then have a separate set of plastics but no need for Brett.

Even with Brett separate plastic is a way to hedge your bets. Brett is pervasive and hardy, perhaps moreso than bugs.

In theory if your cleaning and sanitizing is on point you might be ok even with the same gear. But a new set of plastic gear will set you back as much as a single ruined batch if something slips through.

I do have seperate equipment. I just moved the plastic stuff I was using to dedicated brett/sour equipment and bought new for my clean beers. Just a precaution.

Chances are with Brett that you'll be tying up your equipment for longer than normal as the Brett chews slowly and does its own thing....taking its sweet time!

By the nature of the beast...or should I say yeast, you may want another fermenter/carboy anyway, so I just keep my gear separated. This was more of a move of needed equipment rather than a decision of contamination. But in the end, it means playing it safe.

Back