Brewing water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitz87

Reaction score
I have now had 7 or 8 all grain batches under my belt. I am looking to become more detailed in the process and hopefully improve my beer. Does any one have any suggestion on how I go about monitoring my water for brewing?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

First thing is you have to know what is in the water you are using. This means you either need to start with Distilled or Reverse Osmosis water.... or, send your tap water into Ward Labs to get it analyzed (this is what a lot of us have done). It is easy, quick, reliable and pretty cheap.

Once you know what you are working with, software like B'run Water is one of the best ways to work with your water and adjust for certain styles.

Go to the "Brewing Science" subforum and check out the water chemistry primer in the sticky section at the top. That gives a real basic way to get started using Reverse Osmosis water and some simple water additions. The Brewing science subforum is the best place to find water information.

Back