Brewing today...yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks pretty odd. More like fat that coagulated on top of a stew. The yeast should be at the bottom. I suppose you've probably used it by now so good luck

And no, don't take a sample and taste it like suggested. It won't taste very good. It's a starter not a beer

Yeah, that's unusual looking. Kinda looks like it went into high krausen just as you slammed it into the fridge and the krausen kinda congealed.

What type of yeast was that? How long did you let it grow in the starter? Did you use a spin plate?

I usually pitch a Wyeast Activator pack into freshly boiled, cooled and aerated wort, set it on a spin plate for 24 hours or so. During that time it will noticeably krausen or not - depending on the yeast, but before 24 hours is up the krausen falls. The I cold crash for typically another 24 hours before decanting the beer, warming it and pitching.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, totally didn't think tasting would help any so i didn't.

It was WLP002...i had it on a stir plate for two days, crashed over night, then pulled it out during brew day. Throughout the day it seemed to drop out/break up right up until pitching, which i did end up doing. Crossing fingers hoping all will be well.

Back