Brewing this II IPA Tomorrow! Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Hope the wind dies down :)

5.25 gallon batch

Grain
12 lb 2 row
1 lb 20L
1 lb 40L
1 lb maris otter
.5 lb cara-pils

Hops
1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 30 min
1 oz Chinook 30 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min

Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade

Yeast
Safale US-05 1.5 packs (probably 2)

Mash @ 150 for 60min
Double batch sparge

Est OG 1.080
Est FG 1.023

Thoughts???

That's a lotta crystal. If you keep it, you certainly wont need the carapils. Crystal malts add body and aid in head retention. I'll let somebody else attack the hop schedule.:)

_

I don't like the 30 minute hop additions. I would move the Centennial to 10 minutes and the Chinook to 15 (I would use Cascades though) and if you have some left over Cascades, toss them in right after you kill the flame.

For what it's worth I wrote a recipe for an IIIPA that I am brewing tomorrow as well, and then taking the second runnings and turning that into a mild or possibly brown depending on what kinda gravity I see coming out.

Mine is much bigger though more like 1.105 ish. We will see how well my efficiency is dialed in.

And it might also end up in barleywine territory with the finishing gravity, which isn't such a terrible thing.

My hop schedule is MUCH more aggressive. More like 200 IBUs calculated. A lot of late additions and double dry hopping.

Thanks for the replies so far...

101 on the IBU's

I guess i should have mentioned in the OP that this is my first attempt at my own recipe.. I just kinda looked over the beers that I had made (all IPA's and II's) obviously.. and just kinda went from there...

This is the next step... trying to formulate recipes without looking at kits.. learning what everything does and doesn't do!

I LOVE hoppy beers.. The DFH 60 and the Pliny Clone that I did are right down my alley but I thought I'd try something with a little more "flavor"/"body"... more towards and Amber color rather than all the others I have brewed which have been on the lower end of the SRM scale..

Here's my .02

1. Not nearly enough hops late in the boil or dry hop. You will be severely lacking in aroma and flavor. I would at least double the dry hops and add at least 3-4oz at KO, minimum.

2. You don't need 2lb of crystal. 1lb is more than enough, and way more than I would use (but I don't like crystal in my IPAs). For most people though, 1lb of lighter crystal will give you your desired affect. Plus, your beer will end up dryer and the hops will pop more.

3. 1.023 is barleywine, not IIPA territory. You should be aiming to get closer to 1.012-1.015.

I am brewing tomorrow as well and plan on brewing this IIPA:
4.25 gallons

12 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Crystal 40

0.75 oz Columbus - 60 mins

1 oz Centennial - 15 mins
0.5 oz Columbus - 15 mins
0.5 oz Cascade - 10 mins

0.75 oz Columbus - 0 mins
0.50 oz Cascade - 0 mins
1 oz Simcoe - 0 mins (maybe??)

dry hop - 1 oz Centennial

US-05

I'd drop the Crystal down to .25 lb of each, and replace the MO with 2-row (it would be lost at that small an amount. Then, toss in 8 oz of corn sugar to kick your OG back up, and help dry things out.

As for the hops, i'd move the Chinook up to 60, and use the Simcoe for flavour/aroma. Skip the 30 min additions; start adding at 20 min, maybe a half oz of Cascade and Simcoe. Add another oz of what you have at 15 and 10. Bump up the addition at 5 min to a couple oz, say 1 ea Centennial and Cascade. Take the Amarillo and Cascade you were going to dry hop with, and toss them in at flameout with whatever else you have left. You can always pick up more for dry hopping while the beer ferments. Sorry for being vague on amounts, but typing on the iphone is a PITA. You could simply mix em all up, and add progressively larger additions as you near the end of the boil. Bet it would work out awesome. Good luck!

Oh, and I would extend your mash time to 75-90 min to ensure conversion is complete.

thanks again for all the input.. Changed it around some so anymore thoughts are appreciated.. I'll be starting this one in a couple of hours..

13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.66 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1.72 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.72 %
1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (15 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 tbsp Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.05 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.45 %
2 Pkgs Fermentis (Safale #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Est OG 1.077
IBU 85.9
SRM 8.0

Much better. I know what you mean by wanting a bit of body and malt in your IIPA. I'm the same way.

Glad to see you improved the hop schedule. If you are a hophead, you'll almost always be disappointed unless you throw a ton in there.

Looks good.

Well the brew day went well.. I ended up taking the late hop additions..

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (15 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90 %] (0 min) Hops -

Putting them in a bowl all together, stirring them up and just started tossing in a small bit at a time starting at 15 minutes to flame out..

I also bumped the 60 minute hops..

1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.6 IBU

from 1 oz to 1.25 oz each to get the IBU's up to 104, up from 88 after I had adjusted the recipe..

:off: this brew is the first time I've used my new barley crusher and got a nice 75% efficiency.. I've been getting 65% to 70%

I noticed a HUGE difference in my crush from the factory settings and the precrushed grains I've been ordering (mostly AHS kits)

I also had a stuck batch sparge which I attribute to the finer crush.. I've always opened the ball valve wide open on my batch sparges after vorlauf and also did this time.. all of the sudden the run off STOPPED.. It was a single batch sparge with 4.25 gallons. I use a SS braid so all I did was stir everything again and let it settle and slowed it down from there and it was fine.. So I guess I'll have to pay better attention to that from now on using my own crushed grain!

Nice brother. I was suppose to make IIPA as well but ended up making a stone levitation clone. I then deviated from that stone clone and ended up making a hoppy red. Here is the recipe:

5.5-5.75 gallons

9 lbs MO
0.5 lb C-20
0.5 lb C-80
0.5 lb C-120

Mashed at 149

1/2 oz Simcoe - 60 mins
1/2 oz Amarillo - 20 mins
1/2 oz Amarillo - 15 mins
3/4 oz Amarillo - 10 mins

Then I cooled the beer down to about 100. and strained it into the carboy. I added 1.5 oz Amarillo and 1/2 oz Simcoe to the strainer when I poured it in. I have never done that before and it should be interesting, nevertheless. I let it cool down to room temperature and pitched 24 hours after brewing it with some US-05. The room temp is at 67 F. I think its going to be a tasty beer. OG -1.049

Sounds good. Start malt conditioning, it will keep your mill cleaner and help with stuck sparges.

_

Back