Brewing terminology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulzie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me some terminology... and explain it as if you are teaching this to your 7 year old kid.

Mash in?
Mash out?
batch sparge?

I have done simple infusion mashing with my igloo cooler. Basically throw in the grains and the hot water and after a set amount of time I pour it off the bottom. Is that Mash in? Or mash out?

Then I add some really hot water to the drained mash and drain that out. Is that batch sparge? Or just sparging?

Do people add their sparge water while they are draining the mash? Is there a special name for that?

Thanks in advance

Mash in = when you mix the hot water (strike water) with the grain.
Mash out = adding near boiling water to the mash to stop enzymatic activity just before sparging. I personnally don't think this step is all that necessary as the enzymatic activity will be stopped when the boil starts. Also, the near boiling water can lead to unwanted tannin extraction.
Vorlauf = recirculalting the wort through the mash tun to clear before sparging

"Then I add some really hot water to the drained mash and drain that out. Is that batch sparge? Or just sparging?" = Batch Sparge

Batch sparge = completely draining mash tun quickly, then adding more hot water, then draining quickly again. Sometimes this is done 3 times. Lower extraction but faster. Usually a bit more grain is used for this method to make up for the loss in efficiency.

"Do people add their sparge water while they are draining the mash? Is there a special name for that?" = Continuous or Fly Sparge

Continuous (fly sparge) = gradually letting the wort flow out at a trickle (~1 qt per minute) and continually adding sparge water so that the water level stays above the grain bed. This method results in better efficiency and is how most professional breweries do it.

THere is a bunch more info on this if you do a search...

Latest posts

Back