Brewing strategies the rest of us may or may not have thought of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
For example:

Maybe this is obvious, but I like to brew batches in sets of 2-3--session beer, bigger, biggest. (Ideally, on three successive weekends).

One advantage is I can often repitch (if the styles are compatible) and don't have to even bother with yeast washing.

Another advantage is that the first beer is probably starting to be drinkable about the time the bigger beers are finished and in the bottles. The best way to keep your paws off your beer when it's green is to have other beers that are new and exciting to drink instead.

It also helps maintain a mix of different ABV beers in the cellar most of the time. Sometimes a big beer hits the spot, but sometimes a session beer is the thing.

I'll often do a flurry of 2-3 batches and then not brew again for a little while.

cweston said:
For example:

Maybe this is obvious, but I like to brew batches in sets of 2-3--session beer, bigger, biggest. (Ideally, on three successive weekends).

One advantage is I can often repitch (if the styles are compatible) and don't have to even bother with yeast washing.

Another advantage is that the first beer is probably starting to be drinkable about the time the bigger beers are finished and in the bottles. The best way to keep your paws off your beer when it's green is to have other beers that are new and exciting to drink instead.

It also helps maintain a mix of different ABV beers in the cellar most of the time. Sometimes a big beer hits the spot, but sometimes a session beer is the thing.

I'll often do a flurry of 2-3 batches and then not brew again for a little while.

I suppose. I just don't think in those terms. I brew seasonally and I brew what I feel like I want to drink soon.

I am going to start doing that as well. I like to have a variety on hand. I have also been contemplating 2.5 gallon batches instead of 5

My brews go in cycle from light to dark. This allows for reusing yeast cakes easily, but more over it lets me put the lighter beer(s) in secondary carboys for awhile and just use corny kegs for the secondary on the darker ones. I only have 2 secondaries so I have to make the best of it!

I have been brewing a lot lately to build up my stock. I have 10 cases in the works. I am doing this so that I don't drink them to early. I usually brew beers that go with my yeast selection so that I can do 2-3 with the same yeast. After just a year doing this I now know that I will not run out of IPA\Pale Ale. They are definately my favorite.

I tend to use my environmental conditions to meet my brewing needs. Here in Vermont I am able to lager beer in my basement Late December through March. The rest of the year I usually make ales. Don't get me wrong I do have a lagering chamber that fits the bill, if I'm inspired to make a lager on one of the 4 really hot days we have during the rest of the year.

Come to think of it, I just really love brewing beer!:tank:

Back