Brewing short beers with beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Just made two short beers from original 5 gallon batches of imperial beers with 20 - 25 pounds of grain. Starting gravity (SG) run around 1.080 - 1.095 or 20 - 23 brix. For the short beer I added 4 gallons of 165 F water to the spent grain in the MT, let sit 1 hour and get starting gravity's around 1.040, 10 brix. This should net about 2.5 gallons of 4.5% beer. Will post results when the beer is done.

If you use beersmith for short beers what settings do you use? I set equipment to 4 gal brew pot, set the type to PM, set the style to a regular version of the style (usually IPA or Stout) and scale down to a 3 gallon batch. Beersmith scales down both the grain and hop quantities. This works OK but the SG is always much higher than the measured SG. To correct this I adjust the scaled down grain bill so the estimated SG equals the measured SG.

This throws the hops / IBU's off so I set the desired IBU to the original recipe. Beersmith then adjusts the hop bill. This method works OK, I think, but takes several steps to do.

Looking to see if anyone has a less cumbersome or more accurate way to make short beers using Beersmith.

I'm curious about this too. I'm realizing just how powerful BeerSmith is, but figuring out how to make it do things is kind of tricky sometimes.

Latest posts

Back