Brewing Salts for KC, MO Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
Water chemistry is something I really need to research more, but until then does anyone want to take a stab at helping me optimize my water for an upcoming IPA? I moved a while back and haven't quite nailed down my brewing salts yet. Here is a link to my water quality report https://www.kcwaterservices.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-WQR-Final.pdf

I will be trying to brew an Odell IPA Clone this weekend.

I'm in KC as well.

I add 0.61 ml/gal of lactic acid to my sparge water (you didn't ask this but I thought I would include it.) If your mash is going to be 20% or more specialty malts then no adjustments will be needed in the mash itself. If you are going especially pale then you may want to acidify it a bit.

The sulfates are slightly higher than most waters, but for an IPA I say go for it. I use straight tap water here for nearly all of my aes. I don't say this from a RDWHAHB point of view, I say this from having examined the water and brewing a bunch and realizing we're in pretty good shape. It's nearly perfect for pale ales. If you start doing lagers then it's definitely time to start doing some other calculations.

Capture.PNG

Back