Brewing Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnysGirl

Reaction score
Hello! I found these forums while searching for brewing info online. I’m new to brewing and my boyfriend and I just drank our first bottles of home brew last night- done with a Northern Brewer kit from Amazon. Overall it didn’t turn out bad at all. I was mostly concerned that we would unintentionally mess up the sanitizing process and end up with bottles of penicillin. Thankfully that didn’t happen!

I look forward to talking with you all and learning about brewing!

Hello! I found these forums while searching for brewing info online. I’m new to brewing and my boyfriend and I just drank our first bottles of home brew last night- done with a Northern Brewer kit from Amazon. Overall it didn’t turn out bad at all. I was mostly concerned that we would unintentionally mess up the sanitizing process and end up with bottles of penicillin. Thankfully that didn’t happen!

I look forward to talking with you all and learning about brewing!
Welcome to the clan! Glad to hear your first brew was a success, :ban:

Here's to many more! :rock:
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. Tons of info here for ingredients, equipment and processes. Use caution as you are on the edge of a slippery slope into the rabbit hole of homebrewing.

Keep a bucket with some sanitizer solution at hand during brewday, can be prepared during wort boil, use a no rinse sanitizer. A spray bottle for thermometers etc is also good to have.
For your fermenting vessel, just pour a few liters of water mixed with the appropriate amount of sanitizer in it and give it a good shake for a few minutes, just remember to keep stuff touching the wort post-boil clean and sanitized and you will be fine. No need to overcomplicate things, to actually get an infection you need to mess up pretty bad on the hygiene part.

Good detailed advice from Erik!

I was just going to say wash your hands often and don’t multitask!

I started a thread a while back about using a dedicated washcloth for applying Star San -Dipping washcloth in Star San . I was seeing what looked like soap come out of the washcloth when I squeezed it. The general consensus was that a washcloth might not be the best thing for applying sanitizer because they are breeding grounds for microbes, and because the washing machine doesn't rinse and spin dry thoroughly enough. I switched to paper towels.

For brew day, I use a turkey roasting pan with about a gallon of Star San solution.

Generally, sanitizing is relatively easy. Cleaning is more critical, and probably harder to get right.

Latest posts

Back