Brewing my multistep Mayzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHouseBrewhaus

Reaction score
So I'm finally getting around to brewing my Oktoberfest (Marzen Invasion) but since it's past March I guess this makes it a Mayzen. :)

This is my 5th year brewing it to the same recipe using a multistep mash. Five years ago I pretty much plugged in the multistep mash because everything I had seen said do decoction or at least multistep. Since then I have read a lot of opinions stating that with modern fully modified malts you really don't need a multistep.

So this year I talked to the two LHBS owners in the area, one of whom is a BJCP judge who also runs a well respected brewery. I asked them if they thought it was still worthwhile to still do multistep. They both said yes. In particular, they said the pilsner malt (40% of my recipe) would still benefit from multiple rests.

So I'm doing my step infusion BIAB mash as in years past. I've never changed the recipe because I have always liked the results. I'm curious what the rest of you do for your Oktoberfests. What kind of mash schedule do you do?

i i never have and really like how it has turned out so no need to rock the boat

That's actually been my rationale for continuing to do multistep. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've always liked it and gotten good feedback. However, I suspect I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I changed. I don't really know enough about mash chemistry to make an informed decision anyhow.

So I'm finally getting around to brewing my Oktoberfest (Marzen Invasion) but since it's past March I guess this makes it a Mayzen. :)

This is my 5th year brewing it to the same recipe using a multistep mash. Five years ago I pretty much plugged in the multistep mash because everything I had seen said do decoction or at least multistep. Since then I have read a lot of opinions stating that with modern fully modified malts you really don't need a multistep.

So this year I talked to the two LHBS owners in the area, one of whom is a BJCP judge who also runs a well respected brewery. I asked them if they thought it was still worthwhile to still do multistep. They both said yes. In particular, they said the pilsner malt (40% of my recipe) would still benefit from multiple rests.

So I'm doing my step infusion BIAB mash as in years past. I've never changed the recipe because I have always liked the results. I'm curious what the rest of you do for your Oktoberfests. What kind of mash schedule do you do?

A multi-step infusion mash is not going to add any sensory elements to the beer. A decoction mash is a multi-step process but it is the boiling aspect of a decoction that differentiates its results from the infusion process. The boiling of decoction fractions creates melanoidin compounds that simple infusions do not. Doing short rests at lower temperature steps via infusion won't necessarily do any harm but they probably aren't going to do anything positive either. Virtually any modern commercial malt will convert completely with a single infusion mash. Unless you are going to go the decoction mash route then just stick with a single infusion mash. The beer will still be fine.

Back