Brewing my Left Hand Milk Stout clone today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well here we go, my first time brewing a milk stout and using my cooler mash tun from Adventures in Homebrewing. Super excited! Will post pictures later

Sparging now, good color and conversion image-3744030276.jpg

Well all done and in my Cool Brewing bag, but my OG was off, was supposed to hit 1.064, mine was 1.072....not sure what happened image-3106206054.jpg

Dougie63 said:
you should get a hose on that barb to prevent areation from your mashtun
I have always used that airlock with very little problems, I made a rye IPA once and had to change to a blow off tube. But there was zero activity when in left for work today....I even pitched twice the yeast....the London ale yeast I bought was exactly 6 months old and my local brew shop gave me two for one and told me to pitch both.....anyways I will keep everyone updated.

Well all done and in my Cool Brewing bag, but my OG was off, was supposed to hit 1.064, mine was 1.072....not sure what happened View attachment 149886

I had the same thing happen last week with two batches of IPA. They were both pb/pm biab,same basic recipe save for the hops used. the first one came out OG1.061. The second one came out OG1.074! I chalked it up to greater efficiency,everything else being equal...I'm not sure either,& I def stirred a few minutes after straining the wort into the FV & pouring cold top off water from a height. IDK man...:confused:

unionrdr said:
I had the same thing happen last week with two batches of IPA. They were both pb/pm biab,same basic recipe save for the hops used. the first one came out OG1.061. The second one came out OG1.074! I chalked it up to greater efficiency,everything else being equal...I'm not sure either,& I def stirred a few minutes after straining the wort into the FV & pouring cold top off water from a height. IDK man...:confused:

I am hoping that it doesn't have a strong alcohol bite or overly ester (banana) flavor.

Well,since we weren't that far off gravity-wise,I don't think hot alcohol flavors will be an issue. It got hot again here,so mine with rehydrated US-05 might have some esters. But I did get the temp down to 68F or so by the time initial fermentation finished in a day. Gunna give it some clean up time before bottling for 4 weeks,which will help even further in this regard. but the first batch was past initial fermentation before the heat came & went. So it'll be fine. It's just the 2nd higher gravity one where I'm taking the "wait & see" path. It's got to be higher eficiency...same amounts of grains,demerara sugar & DME in the recipe. I Even used the same crush set up on the rollers in the grain mill. Idk?...

unionrdr said:
Well,since we weren't that far off gravity-wise,I don't think hot alcohol flavors will be an issue. It got hot again here,so mine with rehydrated US-05 might have some esters. But I did get the temp down to 68F or so by the time initial fermentation finished in a day. Gunna give it some clean up time before bottling for 4 weeks,which will help even further in this regard. but the first batch was past initial fermentation before the heat came & went. So it'll be fine. It's just the 2nd higher gravity one where I'm taking the "wait & see" path. It's got to be higher eficiency...same amounts of grains,demerara sugar & DME in the recipe. I Even used the same crush set up on the rollers in the grain mill. Idk?...

I am thinking it's my new igloo mash tun and sparge tank, it is much more efficient than my old cooler, I think my temps stayed right on target. I also soaked in mash tun for 90 min and boiled for 90 min

That could well be it. Kinda like wrappin my BK/MT tighter in my coat than before,thus trapping the air so it'd warm up from the kettle to maintain temps better. But I mashed for 1 hour & boiled an hour. Mash went better & the boil was a bit stronger at the same temp this time. could be a combination of things all contributing to higher efficiency.

Well, when I left for work today there was still zero activity showing in my airlock....It has been over 36 hours...going to take a gravity reading when I get home. I have already posted my issues in the fermentation section so take a look in there if you want. Pics and gravity report to come....

jhart94949 said:
Well, when I left for work today there was still zero activity showing in my airlock....It has been over 36 hours...going to take a gravity reading when I get home. I have already posted my issues in the fermentation section so take a look in there if you want. Pics and gravity report to come....

Well zero change in gravity....holding temp at 64 degrees in my cool-brew bag. Gravity still at 1.071.....WTF!!!!

jhart94949 said:
Well zero change in gravity....holding temp at 64 degrees in my cool-brew bag. Gravity still at 1.071.....WTF!!!!

Well I pitched a pack of Windsor dry yeast on top tonight, airlock started bubbling within 20 minutes

Back