Brewing my first stout tomorrow..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
I'm trying an Imperial Stout (extract kit) from northern brewer. I've never done this style- anything I should look out for? It came with dry yeast, but I've had such good success with the smack packs, I may use them instead. Northern brewer describes it as a 2-stage fermentation. Do you think this is necessary? I did that with my last two IPA's and it's such a pain to rack. Also, how long should I leave it ferment before bottling? 3 weeks? longer? (total time suggests 4 months until ready).

Golden Rule - 1-2-3.

One week in primary. Two in secondary. (At least) Three weeks to carbonate and condition. If you are using a yeast prone to diacetyl, you may want to leave it longer to clean it up. Basically, the yeast will use the oxygen, eat the sugar, and then turn on other compounds in the beer.

Some people say leaving the beer in the primary longer acheives the same result as racking to secondary for two weeks. It may, but I believe it also allows "dead" yeasts to release off flavors into the beer.

IMO - 2-stage is pretty standard for bright beers (that goes for stouts also)

I respectfully disagree with Grizzlybrew regarding the 1-2-3 rule and racking to a secondary.

Many, and I mean many, people on this forum ferment and clear in the primary fermentation vessel with no ill effects. Unless you're going to be keeping the beer in the bucket/carboy for more than a month, using a single vessel is just fine. Even then you could go longer, depending on several factors. Also, it will clarify just the same-- even a bit faster-- if you don't rack to a second vessel.

There are so many variables in any given fermentation, that going by the number of days just doesn't make sense. You're beer is done when it's done-- it doesn't know about 1-2-3. Wait for visible fermentation activity to slow down or stop, then take a specific gravity reading. Then take another a few days later. If they are the same and your beer has started clearing, your fermentation is done. If not, then it's still fermenting. Once it's done, let it sit for a little while longer for the yeast to flocculate (the rate of this depends on yeast strain) then transfer to your bottling bucket and bottle or transfer it to your keg and carbonate.

If you can chill the beer after fermentation, even better-- it will help clarify the beer even more.

-Steve

Thanks, guys. I used the 1-2-3 rule for my first two beers, but found that the Imperial IPA needed more than 3 weeks in bottle. It was carbonated, but not fully conditioned. I'm not overly concerned about clarifying the beer. It is a stout.

4 months just seems like an awfully long time..

Higher gravity beers will take longer to condition and lose the green beer characteristics. Four months seems about right for an Imperial Stout.

- Steve

SavageSteve -

I originally sought out support for my argument, but I am always open to new thought, especially that backed by empirical (or at least somewhat) data. Well, it led me pretty quickly to the article linked below.

I found this and might have to do a little experimenting on my own. I have always been told to get the beer off the yeast cake as soon as fermentation is done. I guess it's time to challenge my traditional thinking.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - BYO and Basic Brewing Radio Experiment: Does Delayed Racking Harm Your Beer? -

I missed a few key points in the original post - I was assuming (wrongfully) that this was the first brew (not just the first imperial stout) and missed the imperial part... It's what I get for enjoying too many brews and browsing...

With the high gravity of the Imperial Stout it could easily take more than a week for it to ferment. I'd leave it on the primary for 1-2 weeks after fermentation is complete. As for the secondary I agree that for this style it's best to wait months, but at that point you can also go by your taste. I know it's hard, but try not to rush it. You can always brew something else in the meantime so maybe you can forget about it for a while!

I tend to agree with "Savage Steve." As far as Imperial Stouts, I've made one (Midwest's extract kit), and experienced a few things I'll keep in mind next time.

I fermented 5 gallons in a 6.5 gal plastic bucket. The fermentation went nuts, tons of krausen, and blew the lid off the fermenter. Twice. I think this was because the temperature was a bit high. Now, I try to keep the fermentation temp in the low '60s.

After two weeks, it was done. As in at the low end of the FG range. I didn't really need the supplementary yeast packet they included with the kit.

I left it in the secondary for 4 months.

This beer did not start to taste really good until a solid year after I brewed.

Just my experience, YMMV.

I stopped doing secondarys a long time ago. No bad results ever, but who is to say it couldn't have been better?

I use my mini-brew concial for almost everthing and it's nice to dump the trub without racking to a secondary. I love it!

Went ok...

Had a mishap with my autosiphon that sent some stout flying in the washroom, oops! OG was supposed to be 1086. I weighed in at 1072 :(

Suppose my mishap, combined with excessive evaporation, combined with hop sacks stealing too much sugar caused it..? (partial boil)

Anywho, now that my carboy will be tied up for 3.5 months, I may need to buy another one :)

Sounds like a typical brew day!

I don't think you need to tie up your carboy for 3.5 months-- you should be able to bottle after fermentation is finished and the beer has cleared. Maybe a month? Let it condition in the bottle and use your carboy for another brew!

-Steve

SavageSteve, this leads me into my original question, really..

What's the difference between letting it condition in secondary versus letting it condition in bottle? NortherBrewer suggests letting it condition in secondary..

Back