Brewing in MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicksbrew

Reaction score
Hey all

I've read a bunch of posts over the past few weeks and finally deicided to say hello. Hello! Anyway, my wife bought me a Mr. Beer for a christmas present from someone on Ebay, and when the guy finally decided to send it to us, had expired ingredients! Expired may be an understatement...these ingredients were 4 years old! Best thing that could have happened to me. The can of malt extract was bulging. So, I decided to chuck the whole thing and find a local homebrew store! I made myself a simple Pale Ale with some steeped Crystal malt and Cascade hops...We had a party and everyone drank up all my beer! Since then, I've upgraded to a standard 5 gallon extract setup (Ale Pail, Glass carboy, auto siphon, etc) and it's been great!

I recently had an enlightening experience...I had brewed up my first IPA (well, really it's a pretty hoppy Pale Ale, because it's not dry hopped, and it's extract based with a partial boil, so the IBU's can't get too high) and it was okay. It had some kind of bite to it (fusels) and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, but it was quite tasty, and I drank the whole thing pretty young (2 weeks in bottle). Or so I thought! There was one bottle that ended up at my mom's house in New Jersey, and there it sat until last weekend. When I drank it, there was no fusel taste, it had cleared up, perfect head retention...all in all it was a whole new beer! Needless to say, the next batch that's in the bottles right now are sitting way longer before I drink them!

I just tried my first partial mash, 4.5lb pale 2-row, .5lb carapils, mashed in a grain bag on my stove...extraction rate was miserable (~55%), but I had planned on a nice wheat beer for some friends for summer, so not really a complete loss. Can't wait to try it! Gonna have a big 4th of July party to drink both brews! :tank:

Cheers!

-Nick :mug:

keep going! boo-yah!

and sampling, like you found out, can be a class in itself (let alone a reward!).

n.s.e.w.?

Welcome from Drinkswellwithother's place!!

(totally raiding his beer stash while he's at work!!)

What!? Where you hidin'? This mofos on vacation this week. One of those "my bosses forget how much I contribute and need to realize what its like when I'm not around" kind of vacations. :D

At any rate, enjoy the Red Rye and Cider I just put in the kegerator.

Welcome from as-far-west-as-you-can-get-without-being-in-NY! (really. Four minutes away by car. ;))

Welcome from Clinton!

I lived there as a kid. I remember the Wheatabix factory pouring out some delicious smells, and the Dairy Queen being near some not so delicious smells. We lived on Walnut St.

hey guys thanks for all the welcomes! I'm in Franklin, just moved up here about a year and a half ago! Anyone on here go to Blackstone Brewing Supply in Woonsocket?

I cant give a good explanation why i've never been to Blackstone. I've only used Witch's Brew in Foxboro, Hoppy Brewer in... Where the hell is that? Attleboro? And i use Modrn Brewer up in Cambridge the most.

I get in on bulk grain buys with our club so i get bulk "base grain" that way. I work in Boston amd shoot put to Cambridge to grab specialty grain and yeasties.

I recently had an enlightening experience... ...There was one bottle that ended up at my mom's house in New Jersey, and there it sat until last weekend. When I drank it, there was no fusel taste, it had cleared up, perfect head retention...all in all it was a whole new beer! Needless to say, the next batch that's in the bottles right now are sitting way longer before I drink them!

Welcome Nick:mug:

I've had the same experience with a beer the somehow returns. Being only 2 years into brewing I love it it's like a time capsule.

Blackstone isn't the biggest or baddest shop on the block, but Steve the owner is a friend of mine so I like to support him, and he's the only guy I know who offered to put my sleeping son on some bags of malt while I was there... And he has some toys there that he can play with... It's like a man club :)

I've never been to Modern, but I have been to witches brew...he was helpful but a touch snobby.. I'd rather go to someone more laid back.

Welcome to HBT from Roslindale. Wait til you move to all grain.......Awsome!

I've never been to Modern, but I have been to witches brew...he was helpful but a touch snobby.. I'd rather go to someone more laid back.

Steve?... at the Witches Brew?...Snobby?? He's one of the most laid back and down to earth guys I know. A lot of nights I head to the shop with a beer or two just to shoot the **** with him.

Stopped by there today for the first time and spoke with Adam. Very friendly, very laid back, and very helpful.

Back