Brewing Gose next weekend , need confirmation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
so I’m going to brew my first sour as a Gose , I’ve read the Fal Allen book and want to make something more traditional.

My plan is to use 50/50 raw wheat/pils malt

10 gallon batch

1.040 OG

Boil 15 min , add 2oz Indian coriander, cool to 110 and transfer to fermentors, pre acidity to 4.2 ph and pitch lacto planterum . My fermentation chamber can hold mid 80’s temps . Once sour to taste pitch wlp029 and a little Brett and ferment cool to reduce ester formation.

Bottle to 3 volumes in heavy 750ml bottles.

Anyone have any critiques to my plan? Doing it next Sunday and have just about everything i need.

No boiling after , I have a separate set of cold side equipment I’ve bought for Brett / sours. No hops , I think once the Brett kicks in during aging it will add some bitterness in the way Brett does over time. I like the idea of having all the bugs in the bottles so it can develop over time . I’m still yet not decided if I want to put a oak spiral in to the fermentor to some what replicate fermenting in wood. I really like brewing to try and creat a historical experience that i other wise might not get to try.

Last edited:
I would KISS and pitch everything at the same time, fermenting in the 65-69°F range. No pre-acidification. Aerate.

Be prepared to wait at least a few months for the gravity to stabilize.

I would KISS and pitch everything at the same time, fermenting in the 65-69°F range. No pre-acidification. Aerate.

Be prepared to wait at least a few months for the gravity to stabilize.

I want to , but I need to get this made and then do one more batch of pils before summer , I hate brewing with the heat . I’ll most likely do what you suggest over summer , hopefully as my last brew before fall sometime late April. I’ve had some crazy experiences with wlp029 taking my cream ales to 1.002 pretty regularly last year so I’m hoping they do the same in sour wort so I can get it in champagne bottles safely!

To be clear, the simplified process I suggested won't make it take any longer.

My suggestion to give it time is because Brett takes a while. If you bottle too soon and it drops 2+ points in the bottle, they'll likely gush when opened.

So I picked up my yeast and Brett C from the local HBS , they didn’t have B so I had to substitute. Going to get this done on Sunday. Should be a lot of fun !

Well I brewed it , ran out of propane so I couldn’t boil, I did get to 196 though so it pasteurized . OG at 1.036 so not a huge catastrophe. Was only going to boil long enough to get to 1.040-1.042 . I ended up using 2 containers of Swanson’s Lactobacillus Planterum added directly into the boil kettle at 100 degrees and then transferred to my fermentors . Ended up with slightly over 10 gallons , maybe 10.5.

I was using raw wheat from the family farm and saw a huge decrease in efficiency. Generally the same grain bill with malted wheat would give me a 1.050 pre boil gravity so a 14 point hit on a 10 gallon batch, and it took quite a bit of work to get the grain cracked. now I know for the future !

Over all if this turns out good it will be my new house beer as brew day took 4 hours start to finish!

Just an update , it’s sour , pitched wlp029 and Brett C at 58 degrees and let free rise to 62. Took 24 hours before any signs of fermentation , at 36 hours it had a nice little krausen. I set the temp to 65 so it can free rise and ramp up a little hopefully taking care of the raw pumpkin taste / smell it had.

02428CB0-52EB-42C3-A038-26A3BCD675EF.jpeg
Here it is , thanks for answering all my silly questions in this thread and others , really helped me make the jump to making a sour beer . This might be the best smelling fermentation of all time. Definitely won’t be my last !

Crap ....... I just remembered I forgot to add salt and coriander........ I guess I brewed a Berlinerwiess ?

You can still add it. Make a tea with the coriander.

I’ve already decided to leave it as is . I’ll probably leave half as is and add salt to the second 5 gallons so I can see how it effects the finished product . I’ll brew it again once this is done with the coriander in a month or so so I can see what I like.

Latest posts

Back