Brewing for a wedding... ideas on selection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineup: 1-4

• American Light Lager

• Festbier

• NEIPA

• Pale Ale

• Marzen/Oktoberfest

• Weizen

• Stout

• Czech Pilsner

• Belgian Wit

• IPA

Results are only viewable after voting.

apache_brew

Reaction score
My good friends are getting hitched next late September, and I've been awarded the title of "brewmaster" for the event haha. We already have the green light to serve homebrew at the venue. I'm told there will be around 100 guests, and my plan is to have 4 styles on draft. I'm thinking two 5 gallon kegs of each style (I'm setup for 10 gallon batches). There's also going to be hard liquor, wine, and champagne so I don't want to exceed 5.5 abv with any style. The draft system will be setup with CO2 so any left over beer won't go to waste. I like brewing (more like drinking) German style lagers, and my first thought of a wedding in late September was Festbier or Oktoberfest had to be on the menu. Given I actually have some time to plan this out and room to store cold kegs, I'm thinking I could make this variety around March, and let it sit patiently until the big day. (this will also help me spread the work over some time) On the flip side, I do figure there will have to be at least one selection that is a heavily dry hopped/aromatic/flavor bomb that will need to be brewed very close to the day of the event. I'm leaning towards a NEIPA with this selection given popularity and general well received nature from low IBUs and the "juice" factor.

I'm not so sure about the remaining two selections. What do you all think? Vote in the poll and reply with any alternates.

Cheers! 🍻

I was in your spot once. We went with a sweeter hard cider by request of the bride, a cream ale ( Originally this was going to be an american lager, but after they tasted the Cream ale they chose it as their fizzy yellow beer choice. We made more of this than any other style because there are far more fizzy yellow beer drinkers than any other.) We then did an easy drinking Irish red. An SNPA type APA. And a very simple 4.2% Stout. They also bought a keg of Bud Light, for the crowd they expected would turn up their nose at anything other than the BMC, or at the idea of home brew in general. A plan B if you will. In our case we kicked 15 gallons of the Cream Ale, 10 of the cider, 5 each of the others, and ended up with more that half of a half barrel of Bid light left over. So go figure!

I would point out that the Bride and groom in this case are both self proclaimed "beeries" and much of the attending crowd, friends and family alike, fall into the same category, so the craft beers we offered were very familiar to much of the party. Remember this is not always gonna be the case!

Also, although West Coast type IPA, and the New England sludge beers are highly popular, we never really had anyone ask why we didn't offer one. I expected some of the hop heads to ask - but nope. Everyone seemed content enough with simple chugging beer!

I think what you are planning sounds good. I agree with keeping the beers in the 5.5% range. If I’m ever asked to be a wedding brewmaster, I’ve always wanted to do the Something New, Something Old, Something Borrowed, Something Blue with my beer selections.

Something New - NEIPA is a New Style
Something Old - Octboberfest/Märzan fits this
Something Borrowed - Maybe brew a beer style that the Groom and Bride Like
Something Blue - Blue Moon/ Witbier

I think what you are planning sounds good. I agree with keeping the beers in the 5.5% range. If I’m ever asked to be a wedding brewmaster, I’ve always wanted to do the Something New, Something Old, Something Borrowed, Something Blue with my beer selections.

Something New - NEIPA is a New Style
Something Old - Octboberfest/Märzan fits this
Something Borrowed - Maybe brew a beer style that the Groom and Bride Like
Something Blue - Blue Moon/ Witbier
I’m diggin the theme there. Might be something to run with

NEIPA - new, exciting, full of aromas and flavours, which most people wouldn't expect comes from malt, yeast and hops
Weizen - easy drinking, enough aroma and flavour, low ABV, appeals to more people than a NEIPA would
Pilsner - classic " blonde " beer, which most people will recognise and probably drink, if they drink beer
Stout - dark, moreish, a bit of sweetness, coffee and chocolate, can sit in the glass a bit longer than other beers

I'm more of a Belgian influenced brewer so I would say a tripel or a quad, but since you want them to be under de 5'5 ABV mark and you're more focused on the german side, my votes are the obvious Oktoberfest which was originally created for a wedding (nice story to tell on the wedding day) and the festbier but maybe something in the line of Schneider weisse festbier which is a citrusy Heffeweissen from the hop additions they make, it's really refreshing and can be made at a low ABV, something like 4 or 5 and still be flavourfull and easy to drink

Just 2 thoughts to add - 1) It may be obvious but yes most people won't drink what you probably like and so keep it in mind, and 2) You might plan out the brew sequence so they peak at the same time. Dark beer first, hoppy one last kind of thing.

I'm told there will be around 100 guests, and my plan is to have 4 styles on draft. I'm thinking two 5 gallon kegs of each style (I'm setup for 10 gallon batches). There's also going to be hard liquor, wine, and champagne so I don't want to exceed 5.5 abv with any style. The draft system will be setup with CO2 so any left over beer won't go to waste.

There will be leftover beer. 40 gallons of beer per 100 guests is a little over 3 pints per guest. And with hard liquor, wine, and champagne as options, many of those guests won't be drinking beer. (Been there, done that.)

I made all of the beer and wine for my daughter's wedding in Aug. Per their request he is what we served.
Nut Brown
Milk Stout
Blueberry Apple Cider
Dry Hopped Apple Cider
Cabernet Sauvignon
French Rose
California Chardonnay
Way to go dad! and Congrats! How did serving go? Did you keg everything? Build some sort of kegerator? Bottles?

There will be leftover beer. 40 gallons of beer per 100 guests is a little over 3 pints per guest. And with hard liquor, wine, and champagne as options, many of those guests won't be drinking beer. (Been there, done that.)

Yep, I’m in the have more than what’s needed camp. I figure I’ll have to come up with some CO2 dispensing system in order to pour all the beer on gas, and then whatever is left over can just go back into cold storage.

I have one burning question...

... how much experience do you have in brewing?
Can you pull this off, successfully?
Sounds more like 2 questions, haha. I feel pretty comfortable making the beer. Been brewing for 2 years now and have made 20+ 10 gallon all grain batches of lagers and ales.
I’m more concerned about logistics of transport (venue is 2 hours away from me) and setup. I’m probably gonna have to build some free standing bar/kegerator to house a keg basin with ice and co2 tank with beer lines and taps.

Sounds more like 2 questions, haha. I feel pretty comfortable making the beer. Been brewing for 2 years now and have made 20+ 10 gallon all grain batches of lagers and ales.
I’m more concerned about logistics of transport (venue is 2 hours away from me) and setup. I’m probably gonna have to build some free standing bar/kegerator to house a keg basin with ice and co2 tank with beer lines and taps.
I used a 20 lb CO2 tank, with a regular 2 gauge regulator, and a homemade 4 way splitter for 4 gas lines. We used plain old picnic taps to pour. A couple of walmart plastic storage tubs to hold kegs and poured in ice around them. Simple. In my case, I have long ago gone to floating dip tubes and all closed transfers. For beer I intend to travel with, I have taken to conditioning for a time in one keg, then do a simple transfer to another keg which effectively leaves any yeasties, and thingies that settle out behind, so things don't get shaken back into solution during the move to a venue.

I used a 20 lb CO2 tank, with a regular 2 gauge regulator, and a homemade 4 way splitter for 4 gas lines. We used plain old picnic taps to pour. A couple of walmart plastic storage tubs to hold kegs and poured in ice around them. Simple. In my case, I have long ago gone to floating dip tubes and all closed transfers. For beer I intend to travel with, I have taken to conditioning for a time in one keg, then do a simple transfer to another keg which effectively leaves any yeasties, and thingies that settle out behind, so things don't get shaken back into solution during the move to a venue.
I’m planning on using a brite tank vessel (1/2 bbl sankey keg) to fine with biofine and carbonate before transferring to serving kegs to avoid any stirred up muck in transportation.

I have a four tap jockey box for events. I often consider this question. I like to offer one light and one dark, something smooth in the amber range and then a pale ale or NEIPA. I wouldn't serve a NEIPA at a wedding though, too high an ABV. People will expect something dark like a stout or a porter but there's still a lot of everyday beer drinkers that aren't into darker beers. You probably won't get as much consumption of beers on the bitter side. Kolsch has been a crowd favorite for me. As someone else mentioned, time your beers appropriately. If you are brewing heavy on the lager side, you will need appropriate temperature control for lengthier times and do you have the capacity for that? Leaving the beers some time to clear as needed would help presentation and getting the beers to the event early will help to keep them that way.

I have a four tap jockey box for events. I often consider this question. I like to offer one light and one dark, something smooth in the amber range and then a pale ale or NEIPA. I wouldn't serve a NEIPA at a wedding though, too high an ABV. People will expect something dark like a stout or a porter but there's still a lot of everyday beer drinkers that aren't into darker beers. You probably won't get as much consumption of beers on the bitter side. Kolsch has been a crowd favorite for me. As someone else mentioned, time your beers appropriately. If you are brewing heavy on the lager side, you will need appropriate temperature control for lengthier times and do you have the capacity for that? Leaving the beers some time to clear as needed would help presentation and getting the beers to the event early will help to keep them that way.
Good call on Kolsch, another crusher. I’m thinking only one bitter offering. At most a 50-60 ish IBU range ale.
As for cold storage, I’m lucky enough to have good buddy with a commercial brewery and dedicated space in his cold room...

I would see what types of beer most of the guests would like. If it's a BMC crowd, then heavy on the light stuff. If they're beer types, then hoppy would be the way to go.
Personally, without knowing that, I would say ALL or Pils, Marzen, Pale ale or IPA (not NEIPA) and Stout. That'll give a pretty wide variety for most tastes.

If they're beer types, then hoppy would be the way to go.

hmmm....i've always considered hoppy beers a novelty? i'm not much of a beer guy though....i guess, but if you're trying to impress pot smokers, by all means go hoppy as hell!

I can't ever remember being at a wedding and seeing many people drinking beer. With that in mind I would cut back on quantity and stick to lighter styles. It's a wedding not a beer tasting. The parents, aunts, uncles, other family aren't there for beer, only the friends maybe. NEIPA? no, you'll find lots of half full glasses after. Stout? Only if they're Irish.

I've thrown parties at my house and barely touched the keg. These were people in their 40s, 50s and 60s, plus my kids and a few of their friends in the 20s. IIRC only my son drank beer all night because he likes my beer.

By all means make something but don't think you'll need a lot or need to cover all bases.

My good friends are getting hitched next late September, and I've been awarded the title of "brewmaster" for the event haha. We already have the green light to serve homebrew at the venue. I'm told there will be around 100 guests, and my plan is to have 4 styles on draft. I'm thinking two 5 gallon kegs of each style (I'm setup for 10 gallon batches). There's also going to be hard liquor, wine, and champagne so I don't want to exceed 5.5 abv with any style. The draft system will be setup with CO2 so any left over beer won't go to waste. I like brewing (more like drinking) German style lagers, and my first thought of a wedding in late September was Festbier or Oktoberfest had to be on the menu. Given I actually have some time to plan this out and room to store cold kegs, I'm thinking I could make this variety around March, and let it sit patiently until the big day. (this will also help me spread the work over some time) On the flip side, I do figure there will have to be at least one selection that is a heavily dry hopped/aromatic/flavor bomb that will need to be brewed very close to the day of the event. I'm leaning towards a NEIPA with this selection given popularity and general well received nature from low IBUs and the "juice" factor.

I'm not so sure about the remaining two selections. What do you all think? Vote in the poll and reply with any alternates.

Cheers! 🍻
So I’m new to brewing and no brewmaster... but with that said I’m a good chef and often get tasked with food making.

1) crowd pleasers for at least half if not more. That means drinkable lagers and easy IPA’s.

2) I’m honing my craft for my sister’s
s and eventually my own wedding. My idea (if it wasn’t too late) was to have a theme. Again drinkable stuff (even though I contradicted myself and voted for a stout lol) but it was going to be a bride (cider) groom (lightly hopped pale smash) and a graff (together).

Cheers! 🍻
One of my daughters got married this past August and another in October - I brewed a Cream Ale and a Lemon Shandy in August and everyone raved over the Shandy and it was gone in just over and hour (5 gallons); In October I brewed a lemon shandy, a grapefruit shandy and a pear cider - all 3 kegs got drank, but the lemon shandy was still the biggest hit. They are pretty mild, less than 5% ABV and seem to be a crowd pleaser. The cider came in a close 2nd. Hope that helps.

One time a little over 20 years ago I went camping with my wife (non-beer drinker) and 12 friends, mostly couples (two arrived late though). I brought 2 five gallon kegs for a weekend arriving on Friday. Later on Friday night they told me the kegs were empty. I told them to switch over the CO2, that one probably needed a charge. They said they did that already. So I got up and checked and sure enough they were both empty. At least I know they liked it!

Of the late arrivers, only one got a glass I think it was.

Every one of them was at my wedding but that was before I started brewing.

Do know your crowd and all!

What better time to drink beer than when camping. That sounds like a lot of beer though to drink in one evening. I hope the vegetation nearby was hardy, you know, beer in, pee out...

But even knowing that I'd hesitate to think they'd all be drinking beer at a wedding when the harder stuff is available.

If there’s going to be an open bar, you might as well bring some pictures of your beer. Nobody will be drinking it. If it’s a cash bar, you will have to have a pretty good read on the type of crowd who will be there. If it’s a “people of Walmart” wedding, you’ll need a lot of beer. Fizzy yellow preferred. A more sophisticated group will be divided among craft beer drinkers and folks who would rather drink anything but beer. We can’t really help you with that without your gut feeling about who will be attending.

I would do a blonde ale, Scottish ale (can be dark but not bitter), red ale and a porter.

agree keep it light and know the crowd.

I just did the math in my head and that's almost a gallon of beer per person. I completely doubt this story now.

I just did the math in my head and that's almost a gallon of beer per person.
Check you math (or your head :)), that's if half of the guests don't touch it, yup, almost a gallon each:
40 gallons / 50 guests = 0.8 gallon a guest.

Otherwise:
40 gallons / 100 guests = 0.4 gallon a guest, around 4 12oz glasses, which, sure is a lot for a wedding with ample other drinks available.

I've brewed twice for my daughters' weddings in the past year and a half. I'll pass along what I did. We had the bars stocked with Stella and Heineken Light, wine varieties and liquor for over 200 people. With that as a starter, I wanted some separation from the bottled lager beer. Listen to what the wedding party likes of what you brew first. I chose IPA, Kolsch, Dark English Mild (something darker) and and ESB for one and a pale ale for the other. 4 corny kegs with party taps. The IPA was the most popular and the others about equal. I brought home about a third of a keg each and none totally ran out. I brought back a bunch of bottled beer. How much to bring depends on how many other options there are.

Check you math (or your head :)), that's if half of the guests don't touch it, yup, almost a gallon each:
40 gallons / 50 guests = 0.8 gallon a guest.

Otherwise:
40 gallons / 100 guests = 0.4 gallon a guest, around 4 12oz glasses, which, sure is a lot for a wedding with ample other drinks available.
No, I meant at the camping site. 11 people drinking 10 gallons. In a single day, but don't know how long they were drinking. That's still a lot of beer to consume, and to assume all 11 were drinking that much? Even if they were big, burly types it's a lot of beer. But 4 12oz glasses is still a lot for most people.

Just a little update. I've narrowed down selection to as follows. 1) Marzen 2) Mexican lager 3) Pale ale 4) NEIPA. The Mexican lager got thrown into the mix after I was informed there will be a taco bar at the wedding, so it was an obvious choice. I'm planning my first brew day for the Marzen next week. The recipe is a pretty simple spinoff of the one in Brewing Classic Styles. I have a leftover vial of WLP 833 from a previous batch that I think will work quite well. The goal is to have the beer fined, carbonated, and kegged in 4 weeks so that I can brew batch #2 (Mexican lager). Once kegged, I plan to hide them away in cold storage until they're ready to be delivered.

Bocktoberfest

Beer Stats
Method: BIAB
Style: Märzen
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 14 gallons (fermentor volume)
Pre Boil Size: 19.26 gallons
Post Boil Size: 15.51 gallons
Pre Boil Gravity: 1.041 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 77% (brew house)
Calories: 167 calories (Per 12oz)
Carbs: 15.3 g (Per 12oz)
Created Sunday July 14th 2019

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
5.44%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Mash pH
Cost $
n/a

Want no ads? Go Premium and unlock all our brewing tools!

Fermentables

25.5 lb / $ 0.00
AmountFermentableCostPPG°LBill %
8 lbCastle Malting - Château Pilsen 2RS371.931.4%
7 lbCastle Malting - Château Vienna382.627.5%
7 lbViking - Munich369.127.5%
3 lbBelgian - CaraMunich335011.8%
8 ozGerman - Acidulated Malt273.42%

Hops

7 oz / $ 0.00
AmountVarietyCostTypeAAUseTimeIBUBill %
5 ozHallertau Mittelfruh (3.75 AA)Pellet3.4Boil60 min25.0171.4%
2 ozHallertau Mittelfruh (3.75 AA)Pellet3.4Boil10 min3.6328.6%
Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines
AmountDescriptionTypeTempTime
21.81 galStrike151 °F60 min

Other Ingredients
AmountNameCostTypeUseTime
1 tbspWyeast - Beer NutrientWater AgtBoil15 min.
1 eachWhirlflocWater AgtBoil15 min.
1 tbspBiofine ClearFiningKegging0 min.
6 gCalcium Chloride (dihydrate)Water AgtMash1 hr.
6 gEpsom SaltWater AgtMash1 hr.

Yeast
White Labs - German Bock Lager Yeast WLP833
Amount:1 EachCost:
Attenuation (custom):80%Flocculation:Medium
Optimum Temp:48 - 55 °FStarter:Yes
Fermentation Temp:50 °FPitch Rate:1.75 (M cells / ml / ° P) 1171 B cells required
$ 0.00Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator
Priming
Method: co2 CO2 Level: 4.04 Volumes

Target Water Profile
Balanced Profile
Ca+2Mg+2Na+Cl-SO4-2HCO3-
Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator
Last Updated and Sharing

How did this go over please?

...so I've been requested to make beer for a wedding. There will be other drinks available.

I have a milk stout I've done that has gotten great reviews. I've also done wheat beers with varying results from excellent to "meh".

Originally I had thought of finding a Stella recipe. I don't have layering equipment.

How did this go over please?

...so I've been requested to make beer for a wedding. There will be other drinks available.

I have a milk stout I've done that has gotten great reviews. I've also done wheat beers with varying results from excellent to "meh".

Originally I had thought of finding a Stella recipe. I don't have layering equipment.
The wedding reception actually got cancelled due to COVID precautions… so I ended up with 2 kegs of Mexican lager and Oktoberfest each 😄. They were delicious.
I now have another 9 months to rebrew the same beers for the postponed reception next year. This is helpful since I actually moved to a new location and have yet to dial in my new water chemistry. Back to the drawing board.

Since the event got delayed… Just a tip for portable pouring that I use for large events is to use a jockey box (or 2 since you have 4 taps) with coiled stainless inside and connects on the back so it can sit on any table combined with corny keg cooler bags. The cooler bags are nice since they allow keeping on ice while transporting. An alternate (that I used for sanke kegs) is a simple plastic garbage can to drop keg in and surround with ice.

Since the event got delayed… Just a tip for portable pouring that I use for large events is to use a jockey box (or 2 since you have 4 taps) with coiled stainless inside and connects on the back so it can sit on any table combined with corny keg cooler bags. The cooler bags are nice since they allow keeping on ice while transporting. An alternate (that I used for sanke kegs) is a simple plastic garbage can to drop keg in and surround with ice.
Those are good suggestions. I was anticipating having to do something similar. The groom was actually going to rent a refrigerated tap trailer that would get delivered to the site the night before, and lines/taps, gas all taken care of. I was so excited when I he told me that. Their plan was to also serve wine (nitro) and champagne on tap (that they would source).

Back