Brewing Cheap Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I guess things have really changed since I was in college. Waaaaaaay back then - late 1990s - we didn't ask about the source or quality of the alcoholic bevvies at parties we attended. We only cared about 1. Is it cheap? and 2. How schnockered can we get?

Bob

I guess college has really changed, some parties are as you described. Most are not. At my college at least there is some culture and appreciation. The parties still end in getting "schnockered" but the goal is having fun. Drinking something that tastes good helps have a good time rather than choking down something we don't really like.

this board is for people who want to lovingly hand-craft flavorful, exciting brews.

Then why all the Apfelwein posts? I like cider as much as the next guy but we're not recommending it because of the quality. We talk about it because it's cheap, easy, and drinkable. And that sounds exactly like what the OP is looking for here just in a beer instead of a cider.

We're all looking for different things here. Time, money, and quality are important to all of us, but in differing amounts. You can't have it all. The OP is merely asking how he might save time and money in exchange for a possible reduction in quality. There's nothing wrong with that. Your brew days may be too full to fool around with such a concept (I know mine are), but the pursuit itself is admirable.

Back to the OP, there's a Coors Light clone thread popping around here somewhere. The following recipe was posted there:

2.5# Extra Light DME
12oz Rice Extract
.18oz Magnum 60

Use 100% RO water or "purified" bottled water. This will yield 2.5 gallons of ~1.053 wort. Oxygenate really well and ferment at 45*F with a 2L starter of American lager yeast. Ferment until attenuated then slowly lower to 34*F for lagering. After fermentation and lagering are complete, rack off the yeast and top up with RO water to 4 gallons in the keg.

You'll have to scale up but that will give you a good starting point. Except for the rice syrup, this is probably as cheap as you'll get with extract. Since you're not trying to clone, you could probably go all extract and further save some money.

Wow. I guess things have really changed since I was in college. Waaaaaaay back then - late 1990s - we didn't ask about the source or quality of the alcoholic bevvies at parties we attended. We only cared about 1. Is it cheap? and 2. How schnockered can we get?

Let me respond to your points in order. 1. Who cares? Ooo, big bad wolf. 2. and 3. I really think laughable. In all my college days, I can't remember a single kegger where we stood around and discussed anything other than "Dude, dig that hottie over there" and "Gimme another beer". In non-party conditions, yeah, I'd share a bottle of something interesting with someone I knew would appreciate it. But not standing over a keg in someone's basement or backyard. And hell, if you do manage to recruit a new brewer in that environment, it'll be someone who wants to make booze cheaply, who'll get bored and frustrated with it, and fall away from the hobby just as quickly as he was attracted. I've seen it happen. 4. I got no problems with, other than I'd rather share my libations with people whose primary motivation is appreciation, not inebriation.

That's not pompous. That's a statement of what I believe to be fact: In the first place I'd like the OP to not waste his time, and in the second you're missing the point. Yes, this hobby is for everyone, including those who want to brew cheap, tasteless swill. This board, however, is not; this board is for people who want to lovingly hand-craft flavorful, exciting brews.

Cheers,

Bob

Why are the BMCish recipes on here so popular then? Sure at parties people are looking to get drunk, but if it tastes better than some BMC crap, they think that's awesome. I take my homebrew to parties all the time, even keggers. Most people that taste it would rather have it than some BMC crap. I have talked to lots of people interested in brewing GOOD beer having tasted mine. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are interested in better beer, or even know about and purchase microbrews, even to drink at parties. Micros are much popular now than they were 10 years ago. Hell a couple weeks ago my friends even asked me if I could brew up 2 kegs for their Halloween party. I've talked to so many people about micros and homebrewing at parties. I don't think your "facts" hold any truth.

Why are the BMCish recipes on here so popular then?

Because they are still flavorful gateway beers, IMO. Cream ale and blonde ale, e.g. have introduced many a palate to more interesting beers.

I positively despise 1A and 1B, though I always recognize the skill necessary to produce a well-crafted example of those styles.

Because they are still flavorful gateway beers, IMO. Cream ale and blonde ale, e.g. have introduced many a palate to more interesting beers.

I positively despise 1A and 1B, though I always recognize the skill necessary to produce a well-crafted example of those styles.

Exactly. While they may not be "flavorful and exciting", they are a step up from BMC and people, including college students at parties, will realize there is better beer and become interested.

I love how it's ok for someone to ask about cheap recipes to brew for BMC crowds at weddings and stuff, but as soon as someone asks the same for a college party, the **** hits the fan and people get all arrogant.

I love how it's ok for someone to ask about cheap recipes to brew for BMC crowds at weddings and stuff, but as soon as someone asks the same for a college party, the **** hits the fan and people get all arrogant.

I'd think that somebody local would have jumped all over teaching them how to brew bigger batches. They buy all their own equipment and ingredients, you think up some half-crazy recipe and then you get a bunch of college kids to try out your new brew. No worries about it not getting finished off, just a bunch of people that will undoubtedly make a nasty face if it's really nasty, or look like it tastes good if it's good.

It's not like giving someone an honest answer to their question on the internet is going to make or break someone's existence. College kids will get drunk one way or another...

Exactly. While they may not be "flavorful and exciting", they are a step up from BMC and people, including college students at parties, will realize there is better beer and become interested.

Speaking only for myself, I certainly don't get arrogant - but I'm also quick to point out that it's just not economically wise respective to equipment cost to set out to clone Coors Light, for example, for the majority of brewers that ask that question. Classic American Pilsner, Cream Ale, Kentucky Common - all great ideas. Those have great general appeal, interesting enough for those 'in the know' and unobtrusive enough for those still educating their palates.

I, for one, applaud the OP. Anything you produce is going to be better than the 20 cubes of Beast Light we used to serve at parties. And for the first 5 beers, most of the people there will actually care that it is better beer, I remember a bunch of us going to one party in college specifically because the first keg was going to be Saranac Pale Ale.

If you can serve a Kentucky common (for example) over Keystones, I don't see why anyone should flame you. Check out SMaSH beers, it shouldn't be too expensive to buy 50lbs of Pale malt and a couple of pounds of Cascade and brew up something delicious and servable and cheap. You're offering better beer to your guests, and saving yourself some money.

Cheers mate (i'm getting Irish I guess):mug:

Four things to reduce your costs per batch:

1. Buy your hops bulk. See hopsdirect.com
2. Reuse/wash your yeast from previous batches instead of buying new yeast for each batch.
3. Switch to all-grain brewing
4. Buy your grains for AG batches in bulk.

#1 is easiest to implement, #2 takes a bit more work and #4 will go along with #3, assuming you have storage space.

I have followed these steps and have plenty of supplies to brew at any given time but I find that even buying in bulk you can't really go by the original purchase price because there will inevitably be losses, maybe old grain or hops that can't be used. I have a recipe coming up that calls for chocolate malt, I have some but I found myself buying more because I wanted the briess brand and some from the UK, but this is the hobby and the fun of it I guess.

2. Reuse/wash your yeast from previous batches instead of buying new yeast for each batch.

#1 is easiest to implement, #2 takes a bit more work and #4 will go along with #3, assuming you have storage space.

Also, I think it helps when you do a series of styles in which you can use the same hops and yeast.
Example: buy Cascade and Centennial in bulk, re-use US-05, and create recipes with it for Pale Ale, American Wheat, Cream Ale, Amber, American Brown, IPA etc. etc.

Also, I think it helps when you do a series of styles in which you can use the same hops and yeast.
Example: buy Cascade and Centennial in bulk, re-use US-05, and create recipes with it for Pale Ale, American Wheat, Cream Ale, Amber, American Brown, IPA etc. etc.

Obviously you have a respect the the good stuff, that said, I also understand why you want a cheaper option for parties etc.

I like many of the comments and sugestions offered. I too will vouce for the Apfelwien option. It can be really cheap and really good, and it does have the panty disolver component that every frat boy loves.

Though its absolutley best when you let it age a while, for your purposes, you can create a very drinkable apfelwien in less then two to three weeks.

I was also a frat boy once, and at the time I probably didn't have near the respect for a really quality beer as you do now, so kudos to you. :rockin:

I think its all a matter of wording. Cheap usually means swill whereas inexpensive means brewing something good but inexpensively

Now the Op can brew some inexpensive beer by doing a lot that has been mentioned here. But in all reality does a collage kid have the room to store few hundred pounds of grain and a few pounds of hops or even have the money for the initial layout ? Even when you buy a sack from Country they hit ya with some pretty good shipping so no real savings there. When you buy "bulk" from online HBS you end up paying a lot more than from Country Malt and the likes . So the price goes up sometimes double.

Then the OP needs the equipment for AG I know I have some coin involved in my set up and I buy used or sale items and I am not even where I want to be.

The way I would handle it is I would brew up some good beers and serve that to people who like them, offer a little Dixie cup at first if they like it all is good if not then then not much waste. But you wont have people filling up red pints and just tossing them after a sip.No matter how inexpensive it is if it get thrown out then what good was it?

I do several parties a year with my homebrew and I always make sure there is BMC ,SNIPA or Sams on tap. I am providing 5 gallons of English mild and 5 gallons Octoberfest at a Halloween Wedding this Saturday for a good friend . They will have an open bar and other beers on tap..... Be realistic not everyone enjoys a flavorful beer most want an ice cold easy to drink light bodied beer...

And yes Apfelwein can be made inexpensively but I am sorry I don't see a frat party serving it as the main drink.

Then why all the Apfelwein posts? I like cider as much as the next guy....

Tread lightly when you speak ill of the Apfelwein... And it is not a cider or a hooch. It is a clone of an authentic German beverage that this site was fortunate to have shared with by the great EdWort. The inexpensive price of the construction of it is just a bonus.:rockin:

I can understand why you wouldnt want to blow all kinds of money on making a beer that people wont appreciate. If you search through the site you could find something. Sometimes making a sample one or two gallon batch and checking for the proper amount of blandness is all that is needed before you find the right economical recipe for the non-beernerd folk. If you do find/come up with one let me know. I wouldnt mind knowing how it comes out.:mug:

Be realistic not everyone enjoys a flavorful beer most want an ice cold easy to drink light bodied beer...

That's why you brew a 5 gal batch of APA, then add 2.5 gal. of water and vuala, you have... 7.5 gal of Cream Ale. Cheap, easy, light bodied beer.

Tread lightly when you speak ill of the Apfelwein... And it is not a cider or a hooch. It is a clone of an authentic German beverage that this site was fortunate to have shared with by the great EdWort. The inexpensive price of the construction of it is just a bonus.:rockin:

Well, it is debatable / matter of opinion whether apfelwein is quality tasting.
I agree with the other guy who said the primary selling points of apfelwein are that it is cheap, easy to make, and high in alcohol yet still accessible for people who aren't used to 10% ABV beers.

My apfelwein is 3 months old now and I still don't like it. I know they say to wait till 6 months (and I will), but I somehow doubt it is going to magically change from gross to delicious at some point in time in the next 3 months. To me it just tastes way bitter and acidic. And the aroma isn't great either.
It is tasty when I cut it with apple cider - 1 part cider, 2 or 3 parts apfelwein - but when you have to cut a drink to make it taste good that's a pretty good sign it's not good.

Anyway, I'll wait till 6 months to make my final decision but so far apfelwein isn't impressing me. Just because it's an "authentic German beverage" doesn't mean it's good - if you read the wikipedia page on it, even many of the Germans cut it with mixers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein .

Not to further derail this thread but...

:off:

My first batch of Apfelwein is still in the primary where it will sit another 2 months.. I did try Apfelwein at a party on Saturday night that was aged over a year. I found it to be good but at the same time don't think I'll ever be at the point where I'll session them (My head hurts even thinking about that). For me it will be a nice change of pace when I want something but may not be in the mood for a beer... (GASP) I am looking forward to tasting mine every couple months to see how it evolves. I wouldn't say it's gross and think everyone should agree that everyone has different tastes....It's all about the aging...It seems some people expect it to be awesome out of the box..

That being said, I like to have BMC around for those friends that I have that don't want to be adventurous when they are drinking away from home. BMC is always the same and a person knows how they will react to it and some people want that when they are drinking at a party.

BMC never sneaks up on you and kicks your legs out from udner you unexpectedly the way home brew can.

However, I do find that BMC likes to punch me repeatedly in the tastebuds and doesn't stop kicking all the way down.

That's why you brew a 5 gal batch of APA, then add 2.5 gal. of water and vuala, you have... 7.5 gal of Cream Ale. Cheap, easy, light bodied beer.

I .. I ... Am speechless

You sound like my Son in Law " hey pop you only had something called Lagavulin 16 down there don't taste too bad with diet coke.":p

BMC never sneaks up on you and kicks your legs out from udner you unexpectedly the way home brew can.

I brew mostly 3.5 to 6 % brews the same range as a BMC lite . Now ya a high ABV will kick your butt but I don't think I would be drinking four or five 16 oz barleywines in an hour or two.

So if I have 10 Millers or 10 of my Octoberfest I will have the same amount of alcohol in my system

I think the OP might be setting the record for the longest thread where he initiated it and never responded (or as of yet has posted in another thread).

If I can't drink good beer for whatever reason, I won't drink. How's that for arrogant?

FWIW (thread entropy has destroyed the original thread),

when reducing the batch cost of the beer consider the cost of propane and water. I have just switched over to electric and pool water (for cooling). Electric is not free, but I probably use about 10kWh during a session, which is about a buck. That's for 10g batch. I am sure propane was more.

Also, freezing yeast and canning wort for new starters will significantly reduce your costs. Finally, buying grain and hops in bulk should allow you to get your costs really, really low, while at the same time making excellent beer.

another thing to consider is canned kits, like coopers. depending on the price you can get them. there not great, but they are good enough for the price.

i can get the kits for $12.50, then all you need is 3pounds sugar. they come with the yeast and everything else

The best way to brew cheaper is to switch to all-grain, and if you use Deathbrewer's stove-top brewing method, you won't need much additional equipment. I can now brew 5 gallons of Guinness for around $20 and all I had to buy was a $10 sparge bag.

If you want to brew something cheap for your college friends then find the cheapest light beer recipe on this site, and try to brew it using all-grain.

Been to college, drank cheap beer, made more of it after college. Wish I could contribue more to this ORIGINAL thread.

For the actual college student: Dont' bother until you have a home do brew, grow, from...

It's not worth it. Once you are settled, open a brewery!

Back