Brewing BIG Ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16% doesnt sound to bad what it taste like? I've been reading about distilliers yeast and as long as it dont give it a bad taste it could work.

I took some samples to Something's Brew'n (HBS in Galesburg, IL) earlier this afternoon. It was the first bottled emptied. It is actually very smooth with very little heat on the end.

When you made it , did you kill the wild yeast before you started,and did you add all the sugar at once ?

The last few days i've been wondering if brewing big was such a great idea,most of the guys on this website think i'm nuts for trying to take my apple wine (guess its not hard cider after 10%) as strong as i was trying to do. I went to a wine website from Washington and i corrected a few problems i had and everything is going nicely now,my blueberry cider i made a 1118 starter yeast, added zest from 2 lemons and juice and it is now brewing like crazy,the Big cider in raised the temp to 75 and added high gravity yeast (WLP099) and it is now going strong. I'm thinking of adding lemons to this also but will wait till it slows down a little. All in all i'm happy with the way they are brewing right now but it will take a while to find out how what the end product will be. Keep you posted.

Back