Brewing at camp, wort temp questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier-Brewer

Reaction score
I have been searching and reading for a few days and I can't come up with a definitive answer on which of the following might be best suited for what I want to do and I apologize for being a little long winded.

First the scenario. I have a summer campsite on the banks of the Ohio River where I keep a 30' camper with about 40 others, several are friends and family. I do a lot of smoking down there, ribs, brisket, pork, etc. That itself can run anywhere from a few hours to an entire day of baby sitting the smoker. So I thought why not get a brew in while I do that, more than likely just an all grain 5 gallon batch.

What I'm trying to figure out, and would appreciate a more definitive answer than what I was able to find, is what is best for the beer, no chill or chill it to ~75F and pack it in a sealed cube or Better Bottle? Generally I would pitch later that evening or the next day after a 75 mile drive home. I have the option to chill, but it would be a 62qt Bayou Classic in an ice bath with 22lbs of ice, but an immersion chiller is in my future. The downside to chilling is once I'm at or near 75F that's the best it gets for 12-24 hours (temp of camper with AC on).

Can my wort stay around 75-90F for an extended period of time, say 12-24 hours without harm? Which of the above methods would produce the least amount of undesirable characteristics? I'm leaning towards chill and pack which may be best to help eliminate any DMS. Thanks.

As long as you are sanitary you should be fine with waiting to pitch the yeast. Not sure about the chill vs no chill - I think you should find a fair amount of info on no chill brewing though. It seems to be growing in popularity, particularly in Australia I believe.

Oh there is a lot of info on the no-chill, so much that it gets a little confusing after 500+ posts in a thread. From what I read the other day it seems like the down side of the no chill is the higher likelihood of DMS, which I don't necessarily want. My though is that chilling the wort to ambient in the range of 75-90F would get below that threshold for the DMS and I guess maybe that's all I really am concerned with, unless of course there are other off flavors or problems that could arise at those temps before cooling to pitching temps and actually pitching the yeast 12-24 hours later. I'm not as concerned about bugs because of my sanitation methods and I think if I use the cube it will be air tight until I transfer it to my Better Bottle primary.

Back