Brewing a Troegs Mad Elf Ale Clone + Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stumbled across some of the real thing still in the cooler while in Ohio. Mine is on the left and you can clearly see that its redder and hazier. I generally brew pretty clear beers so my guess is that's from the cherry puree addition. Comparing the two, mine is more cherry-forward, theirs is is more malt-forward and the cherry flavor seems more tart though possibly that's the spice flavor of the Belgian yeast which is notably missing (or masked) in mine. I had already decided that next time I brew this I'll cut down the cherries to 4 cans and based on the comparison, I'll do 3 of the tart, 1 sweet.

One other thing to note is that the bottle states the hops are Saaz and Hallertau.

I'm not unhappy with the results, mostly noting things I'll work on for a second annual batch which I'll probably shoot for mid fall.

20210305_003331760_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20210305_003331760_iOS.jpg
    20210305_003331760_iOS.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 9
@matt_m — It looks good! Mine is darker but hazy as well. I let a bit of cherry sediment in the bottling bucket and the cherry flavor is very prominent along with a warm alcohol sensation anxious to see if it improves over the coming months. The couple of Belgian Dark Strong Ales I bought recently were not clear either.

This has really smoothed out. The alcohol hotness has settled down a lot and the prominence of the cherries is just right for my taste. I’m not sophisticated in my tasting abilities and I’ve yet to get ahold of a Mad Elf Ale but I’m enjoying it and will save some for the holidays. I’ve also brewed a successful Belgian Dark Strong Ale and the Mad Elf clone is reminiscent of that + cherries.

This has really smoothed out. The alcohol hotness has settled down a lot and the prominence of the cherries is just right for my taste. I’m not sophisticated in my tasting abilities and I’ve yet to get ahold of a Mad Elf Ale but I’m enjoying it and will save some for the holidays. I’ve also brewed a successful Belgian Dark Strong Ale and the Mad Elf clone is reminiscent of that + cherries.
I've never managed to keep any of this around long enough to try any this late in the year. It's usually gone by February at the latest. Not sure what I'm going to brew for the holidays this year. Maybe an imperial cherry stout?

So I am going to brew this to take to a Christmas party early in December. I was wondering if anyone has tried using tart cherry juice concentrate vs the canned cherries.

Last edited:
I hit 1.022 before the yeast dropped, blowoff activity ceased and my Tilt indicated it had been a few days so I dumped yeast today and added the 6 cans of cherries just one day shy of 1 months since brew day.

Curious if there's any way to estimate the additional ABV of the sugars from the cherry puree? It appears the gravity went up by about 4 points after the addition and there's definitely renewed activity.
Looking on the back of the cans. I came up with around an ounce of sugar per can. So treat it like you are adding 6 oz of sugar to the boil.

Back