Brewing a Grapefruit IPA with dried Grapefruit Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingAroundtheRrealm

Reaction score
I picked up a grapefruit IPA recipe over at Home Brew Talk several months back. What made it interesting is that it used dried grapefruit zest. I had never considered using that. I hadn't actually heard of it till I came across the recipe.

My full brew day video is available here:

With the complete recipe on my website: https://brewingaroundtherealm.com/the-juice-is-worth-the-squeeze-imperial-grapefruit-ipa/

The only major issue I had was with the zest clogging the dip tube on the keg several times. I had to remove and clean the out post several times during the time this was being served. Has anyone else brewed with any kind of dried zest and had issues?

The original recipe thread from Home Brew Talk is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/the-juice-is-worth-the-squeeze-imperial-ipa.654977/ for anyone that is interested.

You shouldn't toss loose chunks of anything or hops into a keg. Bag them first and weigh it down. Either let it sink to the bottom or better, suspend with a piece of unflavored dental floss. Or tie a piece of voile or hop bag around the bottom of the liquid dip tube ahead of time.

Frankly, I prefer to use fresh zest (or sometimes peel) of any sort over dried.

I’ve also done a tincture of fresh grated zest in maybe an ounce of everclear (just shake for a few minutes to avoid picking up much pithy bitterness), run it through a coffee filter, and added that — zero infection risk and no dip tube clogging.

I’ve also done a tincture of fresh grated zest in maybe an ounce of everclear (just shake for a few minutes to avoid picking up much pithy bitterness), run it through a coffee filter, and added that — zero infection risk and no dip tube clogging.
That is also a great idea!

Latest posts

Back