Brewing a Berliner Weiss???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I have a question about brewing a Berliner Weisse? Yes I notice just about all the recipe’s for this style of sour Ale call for a 15min boil now I was under the impression that any time one uses Pilsner malt it needs a 90min boil to get rid of the DMS... Now wouldn’t a 15min boil cause a massive amount of DMS?

Hello I have a question about brewing a Berliner Weisse? Yes I notice just about all the recipe’s for this style of sour Ale call for a 15min boil now I was under the impression that any time one uses Pilsner malt it needs a 90min boil to get rid of the DMS... Now wouldn’t a 15min boil cause a massive amount of DMS?
I'm also going to make it soon, from that what people say DMS won't be an issue on home brewing scale. Most of the people can't feel it

I mashed my Berliner yesterday and an kettle souring it now with omega 605. It’s 50% Pilsner 40% white wheat and 10% flaked barley. I always use that percent of Pilsner in my berliners and I also use 80% Pilsner in my NEIPAS. I do 15 min boils for the Berliner’s and 60 for for the NEIPA and I have never encountered any dms problems

Are you planning to kettle sour? That is what I do and based on the short boil you are questioning, I assume you are planning to.

Yes, it is a short boil for 10-15 minutes just to sterilize the wort. Then pitch and sour. Once desired ph/sourness is reached, it is re-bolled for 45-50. It is this second boil that will remove the DMS.

I almost never boil longer than 60 minutes, even when making 100% pilsner lagers, and I've never had DMS issues that I could detect. However, you can extend the 2nd boil to 75-80 minutes if prefer.

Just updating my post before. My second boil is also 15 minutes and still no dms problems

Just don't worry about DMS. It'll be fine.

I wish I had more science-y info to give you about why you shouldn't worry, but I don't. I've seen plenty of posts where people do short boils and it turns out fine. I've even made a small test batch myself where I kettle soured and had no DMS.

I don't boil mine at all.
I do bring the temp up to about 185 after the mash is out, then chill and co-pitch

I don't boil mine at all.
I do bring the temp up to about 185 after the mash is out, then chill and co-pitch
What temp do you pitch at,, what yeast and what are you using to sour? I have done similar with kveik and sourpitch pitched at 37c.

I use Goodbelly probiotics for bacteria. I pitch at ale temps (depending on the yeast). I've used Kveik yeast as well. For Berliners I ferment Kveik on the cooler side, just using my 68 F room temp. I never used the Sour Pitch. The Plantarum in the Goodbelly seems to do pretty good for me without having to worry to much about the temp.

Latest posts

Back