Brewin with Budbo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some scenes from my latest brew day

Choosing the Flavor
hops1.JPG

I hope I survive the shortage

The Sparge
The_Sparge.JPG

The squeaky arm
eepeep.JPG

The Rig (side View)
The_Rig.JPG

so with the counterflow cooler are you running it straight through the cooler into the carboy or is it getting recirculated somewhere that i'm not seeing? does it get to pitching temperature quickly?

Ok, what you are witnessing is a Venturi rig...

The wort is actually being PULLED into the carboy by vacuum and the cooling water is supplying the force to 'suck' the wort into the carboy.

Do a search on "Wort Wizard" or "Venturi" and I'm sure you'll be happily rewarded!

:drunk:

cool, i was trying to figure out why that would be set up that way...
i use a similar connector to inject liquid fertilizer into my hoses for my
home gardening, i was not thinking about it putting a negative pressure on the
carboy to pull the wort in, but then, gravity has always worked just fine for me.
interesting idea

scottfro said:
so with the counterflow cooler are you running it straight through the cooler into the carboy or is it getting recirculated somewhere that i'm not seeing? does it get to pitching temperature quickly?

Straight through, I set up the Wort Wizard right after flame out so start within 5 min usually and it gets to about 75 in the carboy. This particular day it was cold and the spray from the cooling water was actually freezing on the outside of the carboy.. I had the flow going faster than normal because I was getting cold, When I took it inside it was 55 degrees had to warm it up to pitch.

The CFC needs a new washer on the water in side which is why it had some spray

Is that just some rebar added to the turkey fryer so the kettle sits higher? I was thinking about doing that myself. Did you weld it on, or just sit it on there.

I have a welding company down the street from my house. I suppose I could have them do it, but I wanted to do it myself if I could.

kmlavoy said:
Is that just some rebar added to the turkey fryer so the kettle sits higher? I was thinking about doing that myself. Did you weld it on, or just sit it on there.

I have a welding company down the street from my house. I suppose I could have them do it, but I wanted to do it myself if I could.

I had to do the same thing because my keggle is wider than the burner, which was made for a narrow aluminum turkey frying kettle. I wasn't getting any airflow. Much better with the rebar in there.

Funny how great minds think alike. ;)

budbo said:
Straight through, I set up the Wort Wizard right after flame out so start within 5 min usually and it gets to about 75 in the carboy. This particular day it was cold and the spray from the cooling water was actually freezing on the outside of the carboy.. I had the flow going faster than normal because I was getting cold, When I took it inside it was 55 degrees had to warm it up to pitch.

The CFC needs a new washer on the water in side which is why it had some spray

i think i need to invest in one of these. so it will cool a 10gal batch in what, about 20-30 mins? how long and what diameter is your copper tube running through the hose?

scottfro said:
i think i need to invest in one of these. so it will cool a 10gal batch in what, about 20-30 mins? how long and what diameter is your copper tube running through the hose?

Being in Vancouver BC, your tap water should be just as cold or colder than mine is here in Seattle. That being said, you can chill your wort down with a CFC as fast as you can siphon it through the chiller. During the summer I have to go a little slower, but from fall through spring, if anything, I have to be careful not to over-chill the wort.

There is a great thread on here about building a counter-flow chiller, you should check it out. I will never regret having built mine. I know that some like an immersion chiller so that you can leave the cold break behind in the pot, especially if you are doing something like a whirlpool chiller, but, all in all, I am very happy with my CFC, and I love the fact that you can go from boiling to pitching temp with no interaction with outside air.

wizardofza said:
I had to do the same thing because my keggle is wider than the burner, which was made for a narrow aluminum turkey frying kettle. I wasn't getting any airflow. Much better with the rebar in there.

Funny how great minds think alike. ;)
Exactly :rockin:

And the model I have has depressions in the frame, the rebar sits in those not welded

Time is dependant on how cold the flow water is, With the Venturi the speed is set by the cooling flow up to the max flow rate thru the tubing.. in the winter I have to slow it down to keep from over chilling it. I use a hop stopper and leaf hops so the wort is well filtered.

25' of 3/8 inch. Check the link below for a good tutorial on building

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51793

Probably a stupid question, but does the wort wizard have any sort of negative effects with a plate chiller?

rabidgerbil said:
I was wondering if we might see a Corn Dog IPA recipe sometime soon...
I know that corn is a standard adjunct, but what about dog???

He skims those off the top of the boil after the corn dissolves and eats them as his brew snack

kmlavoy said:
Probably a stupid question, but does the wort wizard have any sort of negative effects with a plate chiller?

Nope, I use one with my Shirron. I actually don't even have a spigot on my kettle and pull the wort up through a stainless steel racking cane. I just have to make sure all the kinks are out of the siphon tubing to get the vacuum started, but once it gets going it works really well.

bobjenkins79 said:
I can't believe you've got a stainless fridge in your garage. That is so badass:rockin:

SWMBO wanted a new french door, bottom drawer freezer for the kitchen at the new house, I played that one :)

Back