Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran through my first brewday and after calibrating on my B20 and due to the water calibration not working properly (v3.1.2 with v7 firmware) I opted to just brew it manually in dev mode. It turned out great (I assume) but I'd really like an automated brewday next time around.

...so that kind of brings me back to what version of software people are running and what the differences are. I've spent a good deal of time already digging through this thread and the facebook groups but I can't seem to find any kind of "change log" to determine what improvements were made to each version.

My gut is telling me it's safest to go back to v3.1.1 since v7 firmware is compatible but I'm curious if there's anybody here with a good understanding of the software revisions.

When I looked at the firmware files in v3.1.1 and 3.1.2 they had different sizes, so I assume they are different.
But it stills says firmware v7, so I don't think you can use that info for anything.
If your calibrations doesn't work, I would try flashing it. I don't think you need a raspberry pi for it on the B20 - only on the B+.
Hamboner described how he did it earlier in this thread - basicly he just connects to the Brewie through an ssh terminal, and run a few commands.

Thanks Ajes, I've already gotten in via ssh so that doesn't sound too bad of a process then!

I ran through my first brewday and after calibrating on my B20 and due to the water calibration not working properly (v3.1.2 with v7 firmware) I opted to just brew it manually in dev mode. It turned out great (I assume) but I'd really like an automated brewday next time around.

...so that kind of brings me back to what version of software people are running and what the differences are. I've spent a good deal of time already digging through this thread and the facebook groups but I can't seem to find any kind of "change log" to determine what improvements were made to each version.

My gut is telling me it's safest to go back to v3.1.1 since v7 firmware is compatible but I'm curious if there's anybody here with a good understanding of the software revisions.

Iirc, the B20 version was "behind" the B+ version.
I am running on my B20 3.0 maibock.
Not sure if this helps or answers your questions.

Attachments

• 20191214_110607.jpg
    20191214_110607.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 75
3.1.1 was the latest public version. 3.1.2 was the most recent beta release with way more features.
would anybody know where i could buy the arm board for the brewie+ i love my machine, but mine is kaput. please let me me know if they are out there somewhere. tks in advance.

Screenshot_20200127-082750_Chrome.jpg
If it is the processor board you can pick them up at

https://www.olimex.com/Products/SOM/A13/

The one in the original Brewie B20 was the A13-256. I am not sure which one is in the B20+.

If it is the MCU, as far as I know, you are out of luck. That is a Brewie specific board and I don't think anyone has been able to source it.
What about the website that popped up here a few months back? I will look for this link and edit this post.

Edit: link for site

https://univision-taiwan.wixsite.com/univision

Edit edit:
This the right module?

So I had picked up two Ebay B20 units. Both were not functioning when I received them. One would not boot at all and one would not heat water in either the boil or mash tank.

I have pulled them both apart and did the heater rewire. Upgrade the wire from 14ga to 10ga, since it was the same price as 12ga, and new high temp terminal ends. Ends are wrapped in high temp rubber tape and high temp vinyl tape.

Burned new 16gb SD card for both units with OS 3.1.2.

Flashed firmware for MCU board on both to match OS 3.1.2.

Added fan mod on the inside and not sure if it is just me or not but cooked the fans so they make a horrible sound now. These were normal electronic fans so I would imagine they were not suited for the environment temperature. I am now looking to remove the fans from inside and add two fans to the outside of the unit. Mounting them on the side where the Brewie logo air intake is. Form here I am unsure if I should flip the fans on the bottom to blow in and the side fans to blow out or vice versa. That is an experiment to try later when the new fans are in and the mounting bracket is figured out.

Installed and upgraded a larger 12v power supply to cover the added fans and upgraded CPU board. The stock power supply isa LRS-35-12 35W 12v 3A, I upgraded to LRS-100-12 102W 12v 8.5A supply. This covers the extra draw that is added by the fan mods and the extra draw from the extended memory on the new CPU board.

So to recap both units are now up and running and done several test brews each with no problems. Thanks for all the help to everyone in the thread, I couldn't have done it without everyone's input and information that they have discovered.

I forgot, I also upgraded the processor board behind the touchscreen. The original board is A13-256mb, I have picked up A13-512 board. It is a slight upgrade in ram but I can say that I can tell it runs smoother than the original board. I did run a test on the 2 units that I have. I installed the 512 in one and left the original 256 in the other. When I booted both of them up the one with the 512 board loaded almost a minute faster than the original 256 board. I have since installed a 512 board in both units. Just a thought if anyone else is interested in a slight upgrade.

Last edited:
@macgyuver That's some great information there! Great to know that the ARM board can be upgraded to run faster!

Are you using the auto-inlet or manual water additions?

Last edited:
Yikes, haven't been on in a while and it looks like you boys have gone complete Geek-Ville! 20 trouble free brews on my B20 "stock unit" as it came with software B20 "3.0 maibock"I avoid using the APP when brewing, only for recipe loading and then DOUBLE check the transfer of all data as the APP has the habit of dropping inputs, the only time I have had a problem is when placing a command via the APP, I for one absolutely hate Pads and Cell phones and this APP craze, If ya can't run it from a PC or Mac I don't want anything to do with it!

Yikes, haven't been on in a while and it looks like you boys have gone complete Geek-Ville! 20 trouble free brews on my B20 "stock unit" as it came with software B20 "3.0 maibock"I avoid using the APP when brewing, only for recipe loading and then DOUBLE check the transfer of all data as the APP has the habit of dropping inputs, the only time I have had a problem is when placing a command via the APP, I for one absolutely hate Pads and Cell phones and this APP craze, If ya can't run it from a PC or Mac I don't want anything to do with it!

I agree completely. I prefer working on a pc rather than an app on a phone. It would great if there was a html interface to connected on the back end. Import beer.xml files and such.

I agree completely. I prefer working on a pc rather than an app on a phone. It would great if there was a html interface to connected on the back end. Import beer.xml files and such.

That's actually what I'm working on in my free time now that I've got v3.1.2 and flashed the mcu with plenty of testing done to confirm it worked after calibrating the water.

I logged into my B20 through ssh and when I poked around inside I found that each brewie recipes consist of two files (.json and .brewie). From what I can tell, the .json is a recipe file for the app to display to the user and the .brewie file is an instruction set for controlling the mcu.

I've written a script which converts beer.xml files into the .json format that Brewie uses but I haven't found time to sit down and test whether or not it works...I'm hoping that I can just copy over the .json file and open/save it inside the brewie interface to generate the .brewie file.

The real trick would be figuring out how the .brewie file works since it looks like gibberish (guessing it's hex code)...if I knew how it worked, I could alter some of methods Brewie uses during the mash (I'd prefer to under-let my strike water and sparge using a continuous, cross-circulation like in a brutus 20 system).

...anyway, that's enough rambling for tonight. I'm hoping I can get the recipe stuff squared away (or at least learn that it's beyond my skillset) by mid February.

Accepting offers for a Brewie+.

This is a first gen Brewie+ where the white heater wires have failed. Unit is past warranty and I don’t have the time to deal with it. The reason I’m posting here and not classified/eBay ad is because unit is being sold AS IS. The buyer should have knowledge of Brewie+ heater repair. I’ve read the posts about the heater wire replacements and those that have installed small cooling fans etc. Buyer should be looking for spare parts or have knowledge to repair. Buyer responsible for shipping. I have original packaging and can box back up securely. Buyer responsible for shipping or local pickup London, Ontario, Canada. (Postal N6K0G7)

PM with offer if interested. For those making an offer I can send pictures of the unit and failed white wires.

Thanks.

UPDATE. SOLD!

Last edited:
This may seem to be an odd request... but if someone has a unit that is not working due to broken hardware, or a lone microcontroller board, I’d be interested in buying or borrowing it to see if we can load BruControl firmware on it. I realize that defeats the purpose of the existing interface, but might provide a path for users to have a functional unit.

I don’t think this will be a tough task... the uC on the brewie is the Atmel 2560, which we support.

I haven't use my brewie in months. went to turn it on today to start an update and potentially brew this weekend the power button on the side flashes and turns off yet I can still hear (if I hold the button-down) all the valves clicking?
Obviously it's getting some power or the vales and the button wouldn't Flash but the light for the button turns off immediately.
How do I fix this issue?

I haven't use my brewie in months. went to turn it on today to start an update and potentially brew this weekend the power button on the side flashes and turns off yet I can still hear (if I hold the button-down) all the valves clicking?
Obviously it's getting some power or the vales and the button wouldn't Flash but the light for the button turns off immediately.
How do I fix this issue?

Sounds like a dead SD card or corrupt boot sector on the card. Will need to reflash card or replace it.

That was a very quick response...
So if I search through this thread there will be instructions on how to reflash card?
I'm guessing start there and if it doesn't work then we're looking into replacing The card itself?

Not sure what version of brewery I got.

I bought it several years ago from morebeer when they had it on sale around Saint Patrick's day I believe it was the brewie +.

I will start looking at the threads now as I have still would like to brew this weekend using my brewing robot .it supposed to snow here next to Yosemite where I live so most my brewing takes place outside. I figured maybe I could fire up the old brewing robot and bust out a batch.

I'm not a Tech guy by any means I more of a hands on Brewer in fact I'm opening up a brewery and thought that by buying a brewie I was Saving myself some time not to mention That I was going to use brewie as a recipe formulator where I can quickly crank out some experimentation beers while I'm brewing larger batches for the brewery.

I am not familiar with the B+. I have two original Brewie B20 that I picked up on eBay. I know that some people have flashed B+ files tho. If your firmware matches the files it shouldn’t take long to get back up and running. Do you happen to know what version of the OS you were running. My B20s are running the 3.1.2 beta image. If you don’t know then you may want to find the oldest image and let brewie servers update your machine if they are online. They come and go.

Well it is a good idea for a complete grain to glass setup.... BUt could you imagine the price if they were an all in one unit. Brewie 2k and Vessi fully loaded was around 3k, So between 4-5k for the setup.... Not for me... LOL Would be interesting if someone with both was able to combine them for a one button push deal...

This may seem to be an odd request... but if someone has a unit that is not working due to broken hardware, or a lone microcontroller board, I’d be interested in buying or borrowing it to see if we can load BruControl firmware on it. I realize that defeats the purpose of the existing interface, but might provide a path for users to have a functional unit.

I don’t think this will be a tough task... the uC on the brewie is the Atmel 2560, which we support.

BrunDog, if you could load your software on this thing- that would be one hell of an improvement. I am going to seek reimbursement from my credit card and put that money towards a 2V system I want to automate with your software.

Hello Everyone,

I am an original B20 owner and only did the one Rusty Rex brew (first ever, with this or otherwise) that was a definitive fail. I suspected that something when wrong when I lost power but I also couldn't get the hop tanks to drain after the brew and a couple of them barely filled up at all. Based on the taste after fermenting, I am guessing the tanks did not do their job at all. I don't know how to describe the flavor, just a sweetness that I can't put my finger on but not a hop to be found.

I have upgraded my software to the latest 3.1.2 thanks to the help of everyone here and on brewieforum.net, could not have done it without all of the contributions. I went through the full service troubleshooting guide and found that I have no problems with any of the pumps and the only valves I have problems with are the hop tanks. None of them fill at all. I have tried pumping from the boil tank and the mash tank. I can hear them switching when I turn each one on or off so I'm not inclined to think it is electrical.

Based on the pump/valve/tubing schematic (attached) in the troubleshooting guide, they look like they are all on an independent T from the main but I'm suspecting that is not the case since mine all don't work. It seems like it may be a clog that feeds all of them. I will be tearing it apart tomorrow but just wanted to see what other people thought. I have read that the tubing is an odd metric size that might be hard to get my hands on so hopefully there is a standard size that may work.

Thanks for listening and cheers,
Bryce

upload_2020-2-11_23-33-13.png

I dont believe anyone has found a replacement for the tubing yet besides ordering it from the UK or something. As for the hop tubing it is really easy to get to and remove. I have rebuilt 2 B20s and working on a B20+ is on the workbench now. The internals of the unit are really simple, looks complex or even chaotic but simple once you get into it. I would turn on your unit, enter dev mode, open all the valves, pop the T line for the Hop cages off and make sure everything is clear. You should be able to find the issue quickly. It may even be a tube that is sticking closed, I have seen that as well and hot water helped un-stick it without taking machine apart.

Thanks for the quick response mcgyuver, I appreciate the insight. I did take it apart to get at the SD card and found that it shouldn’t be too intimidating with the nice work instructions to base it off of. I did try to run hot water from each tank at it and it was enough to clear the clog or pinched tubing. Hopefully I can get it apart and clean it out without having to replace.

It might be a good idea for one of us to get a long length of the tubing and have it on hand to ship to other Brewie owners on the forums. I’ll look into doing that especially if I have to replace some of mine.

Thanks for the quick response mcgyuver, I appreciate the insight. I did take it apart to get at the SD card and found that it shouldn’t be too intimidating with the nice work instructions to base it off of. I did try to run hot water from each tank at it and it was enough to clear the clog or pinched tubing. Hopefully I can get it apart and clean it out without having to replace.

It might be a good idea for one of us to get a long length of the tubing and have it on hand to ship to other Brewie owners on the forums. I’ll look into doing that especially if I have to replace some of mine.

You may want to try a full clean with a scoop of PBW. If you had a brew running and it failed, chances are really good that the lines are sticky with gunk.
When i used PBW for the first time i was shocked with what came out of the lines!

Well it is a good idea for a complete grain to glass setup.... BUt could you imagine the price if they were an all in one unit. Brewie 2k and Vessi fully loaded was around 3k, So between 4-5k for the setup.... Not for me... LOL Would be interesting if someone with both was able to combine them for a one button push deal...

Hehe, well I have both. They sit next to each other and I do press one button to dump into the vessi. Ferment and then pressure transfer to corny kegs. No lifting, it’s pretty great.

Update on my Brewie adventures, ran PBW through last night and was able to unclog the first hop tank. The other ones wouldn't budge and I ran water at them several times over the course of an 1.5-2 Hours. I was hoping the hot water and PBW would break them down but no luck.

Opened her up and found the silicone tubes and clamps to be an absolute pleasure to work with, absolutely love it. Got the first two taken off now as I write this and the second on is just jammed with wort. Not sure how it happened since I ran a full clean after. I will be taking the other two valves out and then get at the clamps as the hop tank inlet.

While I had it open, I decided to take a valve apart for the edification of myself and potentially the rest of the group if this hasn't been shared. I haven't found it anywhere but essentially the valves are pinch valves which is nice from a sanitary perspective. The good news is that you can get a 4 pack of the servos that drive these off of Amazon for 20 bucks. They are a MG996R, brand is towerpro in the Brewie but the model shouldn't matter (bad picture labelled Brewie Valve Servo). I'm unable to link, but search Amazon.

Installing a new one isn't as simple as just placing a new servo on and haphazardly installing the rotating "gear" portion (don't have a great name for it, see gray piece in Brewie Valve Gear in Correct Orientation Picture). I have not personally replaced any but the procedure I would go through is to remove the old servo and replace the new one. Do not reinstall the "gear" yet. Turn on the machine and close, then reopen the valve. Install the gear, making sure that the "gear" is pointing straight up (see picture reference above). I would then toggle that valve close/open again and see what it does. Based on that you can adjust and try again. You will want to get this part right otherwise your Brewie valve will not work. If not, the servo may work opposite, or only partially close/open which would not be fun.

The rotating part attached the the servo closes the other gray piece in picture labelled "Brewie Pinching Arm" that actually pinches against the silicone tubing. Hopefully this is helpful to someone. I believe all of the valves are the same so this should apply elsewhere in the machine, not just the hop valves. I'm going to continue my breakdown and will provide a final update. If anyone reads this in the meantime and wants more information, let me know and I will provide as best as I can while it is all apart.

Attachments

• Brewie Pinching Arm.jpg
    Brewie Pinching Arm.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • Brewie Valve Servo.jpg
    Brewie Valve Servo.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Brewie Valve Gear in Correct Orientation.jpg
    Brewie Valve Gear in Correct Orientation.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Update on my Brewie adventures, ran PBW through last night and was able to unclog the first hop tank. The other ones wouldn't budge and I ran water at them several times over the course of an 1.5-2 Hours. I was hoping the hot water and PBW would break them down but no luck.

Opened her up and found the silicone tubes and clamps to be an absolute pleasure to work with, absolutely love it. Got the first two taken off now as I write this and the second on is just jammed with wort. Not sure how it happened since I ran a full clean after. I will be taking the other two valves out and then get at the clamps as the hop tank inlet.

While I had it open, I decided to take a valve apart for the edification of myself and potentially the rest of the group if this hasn't been shared. I haven't found it anywhere but essentially the valves are pinch valves which is nice from a sanitary perspective. The good news is that you can get a 4 pack of the servos that drive these off of Amazon for 20 bucks. They are a MG996R, brand is towerpro in the Brewie but the model shouldn't matter (bad picture labelled Brewie Valve Servo). I'm unable to link, but search Amazon.

Installing a new one isn't as simple as just placing a new servo on and haphazardly installing the rotating "gear" portion (don't have a great name for it, see gray piece in Brewie Valve Gear in Correct Orientation Picture). I have not personally replaced any but the procedure I would go through is to remove the old servo and replace the new one. Do not reinstall the "gear" yet. Turn on the machine and close, then reopen the valve. Install the gear, making sure that the "gear" is pointing straight up (see picture reference above). I would then toggle that valve close/open again and see what it does. Based on that you can adjust and try again. You will want to get this part right otherwise your Brewie valve will not work. If not, the servo may work opposite, or only partially close/open which would not be fun.

The rotating part attached the the servo closes the other gray piece in picture labelled "Brewie Pinching Arm" that actually pinches against the silicone tubing. Hopefully this is helpful to someone. I believe all of the valves are the same so this should apply elsewhere in the machine, not just the hop valves. I'm going to continue my breakdown and will provide a final update. If anyone reads this in the meantime and wants more information, let me know and I will provide as best as I can while it is all apart.

@Bryce Brewer thanks for this!! Very much appreciated!! Pleaae update if you have any more pics, info, etc.

On the Brewieforum.net site someone posted that the brewie app was removed from his phone without him knowing and that the app is no longer on the app store. I checked and the app isnt showing up in the app store. I have the app installed on my phone and it has not been removed. Of course I have my phone setup so Apple cannot remove apps automatically or update them without my approving the install. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I have not checked the play store yet so cant answer for there.

On the Brewieforum.net site someone posted that the brewie app was removed from his phone without him knowing and that the app is no longer on the app store. I checked and the app isnt showing up in the app store. I have the app installed on my phone and it has not been removed. Of course I have my phone setup so Apple cannot remove apps automatically or update them without my approving the install. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I have not checked the play store yet so cant answer for there.

I still have my app, but i am on android and do not know if that makes a difference.

On a related note, is it possible that Brewie still exists as a European company? I.e. they just decided to cut all ties with North America and focus on 220V "in their own backyard" countries?
I only mention this as i find it hard to belive the website is still up if the company is no more.

@Nate R

Interesting idea but no one from that area has said they are up and running. I am not sure, I read something about an Australian company bought them. Maybe that company is keeping things as they are in hopes of relaunching the company. Keep the user base in tact until new hardware hits the market. Another interesting thought I had that is.

I was that someone in the other forum. It is no longer available in the Apple App Store and I clicked too fast when opening the app and it essentially said that it wasn’t available and I thought it was saying to update.

I did just power on an old Android I had lying around and thankfully it is available on the Play Store. I will use this as a backup but I was hoping to find some hack through some google searching on how to restore old apps and it seems like Apple patched up how to do this back in 2018. Interrogating my phone didn’t help as there wasn’t a trace of it in apps, through the App Store looking at past downloads, nothing.

I hope there is someone out there with more experience that can find it because it would be very helpful for me.

On the question of more pictures from disassembling the hop tanks, I have some more but don’t think it is helpful. I unclogged it, accidentally had a few valve wires come undone and had to do some guess and checking to make sure that I plugged them back in correctly, and then reassembled. I would highly suggest labeling the valve as soon as you pull it off the tube as I had it backwards on one of the sets. Thankfully I did a full test of every valve to ensure no other ones were unplugged. Just open up developer mode and toggle each valve to make sure it opens/closes and is the correct valve otherwise you flavoring hops may become bittering and vice versa.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back