Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I have done a full clean I keep adding in PBW, I'm guessing that should do a good job cleaning the plate chiller. Then towards the end of it all I toss some StarSan in with the water when it is in the rinse phase. I just sort of have guess on the timing but figure that is good enough. I'd be nervous to pull the plate chiller out after seeing the inside of the B-, I've yet to open up my B+ though.
Not sure what Brewie says but PBW and rubber gaskets and plastic pieces are not good bed mates.

Hey they know best. Powder dish soap does not have the same impact as PBW on rubber and plastics. I clean my kegs with PBW and I have to replace the badly deteriorated seals on a routine basis. The PICO people make a big deal out of not using PBW on their units. YMMV

This is the first I have ever heard that PBW affects plastic. Isn't PBW the same as Oxyclean with Sodium Metasilicate? If it does affect plastic it must be the Sodium Metasilicate or Tri-sodium Phosphate. It isn't the Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate Oxyclean.. I have been using that on my plastic for over 7 years. There has been no degradation of my plastics due to cleaning.

PBW should be safe to use. From Máté at Brewie Customer Support:
The short clean is mainly for removing "debris" from the machine.
Run a Full clean with dishwasher tablets after 5 brews to keep the pumps clean.
Sanitizing Clean is for returning back to brewing from a long time.

The ultimate mix for Full Clean is
2 dishwasher tablets (with enzymes)
total 4 teaspoon of Chemipro into the hop tanks (1-1 into each)
total 4 teaspoon of PBW into the hop tanks (1-1 into each)

Last edited:
When I have done a full clean I keep adding in PBW, I'm guessing that should do a good job cleaning the plate chiller. Then towards the end of it all I toss some StarSan in with the water when it is in the rinse phase. I just sort of have guess on the timing but figure that is good enough. I'd be nervous to pull the plate chiller out after seeing the inside of the B-, I've yet to open up my B+ though.
I guess you *could* make an argument that since it is a closed system (i.e. the hoses are always clamped, etc.) there is less of a chance for infection?
And if they pump boiled worth through it first, it is like submerging a coil chiller in the pot.
I am going to steal the star san idea however. Good idea!

Hey they know best. Powder dish soap does not have the same impact as PBW on rubber and plastics. I clean my kegs with PBW and I have to replace the badly deteriorated seals on a routine basis. The PICO people make a big deal out of not using PBW on their units. YMMV
What about pbw on a speidel fermenter? If no, what is a good cleaner?
Thanks

I asked Mate for an update on the mash basket and he let me know they have only done one prototype. He gave me the attached pdf from the facebook owner's page and after reviewing it, that isn't what I had in mind. So I contacted Arbor Fabricating and had a nice conversation with the owner who has fabricated a ton of stuff for homebrewers. I am going to send him the specs and ask him to make me a basket to test on my Brewie. I think we just need to resize the one he makes for the Pico and add a handle.

http://arborfab.com/PicoBrew-Zymatic-Replacement-Box-Filter_p_96.html

Will let you know how it turns out.

Attachments

• Mashing cage (1) (1).pdf
    773.2 KB · Views: 65
What about pbw on a speidel fermenter? If no, what is a good cleaner?
Thanks
My experience is that pbw is great for stainless and some hoses and plastic fermentor buckets etc. Not so for polycarbonates and any rubber parts line gaskets and seals. Powdered dish soap works best on those parts. The manufacture would/should know their product best.

I asked Mate for an update on the mash basket and he let me know they have only done one prototype. He gave me the attached pdf from the facebook owner's page and after reviewing it, that isn't what I had in mind. So I contacted Arbor Fabricating and had a nice conversation with the owner who has fabricated a ton of stuff for homebrewers. I am going to send him the specs and ask him to make me a basket to test on my Brewie. I think we just need to resize the one he makes for the Pico and add a handle.
)

I have also contacted Utah Biodiesel Supplies who make a Pico Brew basket (https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/customwork.php#picobrewer) but they are swamped with pre-Christmas orders and won't work on anything until the new year. Hopefully, between the two we will find a manufacturer for this.

I have also contacted Utah Biodiesel Supplies who make a Pico Brew basket (https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/customwork.php#picobrewer) but they are swamped with pre-Christmas orders and won't work on anything until the new year. Hopefully, between the two we will find a manufacturer for this.

Yup, Arbor makes all of the product for Utah. I found that out today. Arbor said they could probably fit me in if the design was as simple as I was talking about. I think I heard about your call today.

I appreciate the enthusiasm for the product. I just can't see the point where it is less trouble than it's worth.

The issues with cleaning that seem to be an afterthought should have been thought about. What happens when the things that really weren't thought about need to be considered?

I see this trend with modern products. Everyone expects throwaway even if they spend thousands of dollars.

This product is a good example of throwaway culture. Half are probably already in landfills (repair centers).

This is pretty handy. Love the user inspired hacks. What a time to be alive. Brewie is what- hungarian? Somewhere far. Yet plans go back and forth in an instant.

I don't see why they can't just use the hop cage design, only bigger. Bigger supports bars of course. The mesh seems fine- but i would want a support bar every 1" or so. Then we could stir it, etc. A little hinged lid- heck maybe even a way to plug an arm into the sparge hole.

This is pretty handy. Love the user inspired hacks. What a time to be alive. Brewie is what- hungarian? Somewhere far. Yet plans go back and forth in an instant.

I don't see why they can't just use the hop cage design, only bigger. Bigger supports bars of course. The mesh seems fine- but i would want a support bar every 1" or so. Then we could stir it, etc. A little hinged lid- heck maybe even a way to plug an arm into the sparge hole.

Arbor makes mesh baskets for the Pico and Braumeister units. In speaking with Chad these are strong enough to hold the grain and allow stirring and would support lifting it out after the brew. I plan to use a 600 micron mesh in my design and include a handle welded into the inside of the basket to maximize the size of the basket. I sent him my false bottom today to use as a template for sizing of the base of the basket. I debated between 400 and 600 micron mesh and think 600 will ensure there is no caking on the bottom of the basket (that could lead to decreased flow of wort and possible dry firing of the element).

I really like the idea of this mesh basket. I would just want to make sure it had a handle or someway to pull it back out without stressing the basket itself. Wet grain gets awfully heavy!

I really like the idea of this mesh basket. I would just want to make sure it had a handle or someway to pull it back out without stressing the basket itself. Wet grain gets awfully heavy!

I agree, after speaking with Chad, I am convinced these guys know what they are doing. He welds all of the seams, not just spots like the Chinese junk. There are a few other threads on HBT that speak to his products.

16 gallon one here with a handle:

http://arborfab.com/64-qt-Brew-in-a-Basket-Combo-Kettle-and-Basket_p_54.html

Ha!! Hey you ever done the Budweiser tour? I was lucky enough to do the St. Louis one... the tanks they beechwood age the beer in are massive. That operation is incredible when you consider the size and amount of time the beer sits for. Then they can sell it for 5.99 a six pack and make a profit. Economies of scale i guess but still impressive. I know it's sh**t beer and always gives me a headache when i drink it but i admire the history and size of it all.

I grew up in St. Louis and take the tour every chance I get when I visit... absolutely amazing. Those aging tanks you mentioned.... each one holds the equivalent of 2100 six packs.... and there is a BUNCH of those tanks.

Again - the beer may not be anything special, but the process, control, consistency, and sheer scale you see on the tour is amazing. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Ugh, my boil tank heating element stopped working AGAIN. It would not turn on at sparge step 1/2 to heat the sparge water to target temp. I finished the brew on my other system but OG was short. At a subsequent test brew, the heating element wouldn't even turn on during the mash preparation steps to heat the mash water. I created another ticket with tech support. Will keep you posted.

Ugh, my boil tank heating element stopped working AGAIN. It would not turn on at sparge step 1/2 to heat the sparge water to target temp. I finished the brew on my other system but OG was short. At a subsequent test brew, the heating element wouldn't even turn on during the mash preparation steps to heat the mash water. I created another ticket with tech support. Will keep you posted.
Fingers crossed. May be time to send it in.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

My heating element is toast. I was given the option to send the machine in for repair under warranty or do a self-repair. I opted for the self-repair, hopefully it is faster and it gives me the opportunity to learn more about the Brewie. The instructions look pretty straightforward. I will update you on progress.

Attachments

• Boil heater element.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
My heating element is toast. I was given the option to send the machine in for repair under warranty or do a self-repair. I opted for the self-repair, hopefully it is faster and it gives me the opportunity to learn more about the Brewie. The instructions look pretty straightforward. I will update you on progress.

Great info, thanks. I assume they are sending you a new heating element? Might want to ask for two in case the other one goes bad.

So, last time I tried to brew, the fuse blew. Contacted Brewie, got a response about 4 days later (it was a weekend) and replaced fuse.
Ran a cleaning cycle- everything was great!
Just tried to brew today- the Brewie powers up, makes it squeaky noises, switch lights up, screen lights up- but stays blank- no graphics, no boot screen, etc.
Anybody know this issue? Can it be user-fixed?

So, last time I tried to brew, the fuse blew. Contacted Brewie, got a response about 4 days later (it was a weekend) and replaced fuse.
Ran a cleaning cycle- everything was great!
Just tried to brew today- the Brewie powers up, makes it squeaky noises, switch lights up, screen lights up- but stays blank- no graphics, no boot screen, etc.
Anybody know this issue? Can it be user-fixed?
I should state- I obviously restarted the machine several times. This has happened in the past, but by try #3 it has always turned back on.

Good idea. I do have the app!
I will try that. Unfortunatly my app only connects about half the time... but good idea. I will try and report back.

My app connects about half the time as well. If I have it do auto search for it, it almost always fails unless I'm at the Brewie and I pull up the Wifi Screen on it. I think what happens is the Brewie either disconnects or drops from Wifi after a while is my guess. If I manually put the IP address of the Brewie in my app it works 90% of the time, when it doesn't I just pull up the Wifi Screen on the Brewie and it works 100%. All in all, I really like having the app so I can just leave the Brewie in my garage and don't feel I need to walk over to check on it... in writing that I realize, boy am I lazy.. cheers!

My app connects about half the time as well. If I have it do auto search for it, it almost always fails unless I'm at the Brewie and I pull up the Wifi Screen on it. I think what happens is the Brewie either disconnects or drops from Wifi after a while is my guess. If I manually put the IP address of the Brewie in my app it works 90% of the time, when it doesn't I just pull up the Wifi Screen on the Brewie and it works 100%. All in all, I really like having the app so I can just leave the Brewie in my garage and don't feel I need to walk over to check on it... in writing that I realize, boy am I lazy.. cheers!

I was having the same experience but the latest version of the app seems better. Have you updated? I randomly went into testflight one day and saw there was an update.

I was having the same experience but the latest version of the app seems better. Have you updated? I randomly went into testflight one day and saw there was an update.

Excellent! I figured it would just auto update by itself. Uninstalling and reinstalling now, thank you!!! :rock:

I should state- I obviously restarted the machine several times. This has happened in the past, but by try #3 it has always turned back on.
So, heard back from Mate.
He wants me to download some updated software on a MicroSD card and install that.
@sniperd- didn't this happen to you? I know someone here had to do that. If so, did you supply your own SD card? Is 80Mbps fast enough card? It's like $8 on Amazon. I am using the same brand/size that Mate recommenced.

So, heard back from Mate.
He wants me to download some updated software on a MicroSD card and install that.
@sniperd- didn't this happen to you? I know someone here had to do that. If so, did you supply your own SD card? Is 80Mbps fast enough card? It's like $8 on Amazon. I am using the same brand/size that Mate recommenced.

They mailed me a card. It was just a regular card, nothing fancy, I think 16gig? It was a hassle getting to the card, I'll tell you that though! I was surprised that it's just not on the outside, had to take the whole front panel off. I wonder if you can just take the card out you have and use that?

Maybe uninstall and reinstall? I have an iphone and the testflight app had an update when I opened it. Not sure about android.

I have Android. I uninstalled it off my phone and had to find my original email with the link to where I could download the app again. That worked though :)

They mailed me a card. It was just a regular card, nothing fancy, I think 16gig? It was a hassle getting to the card, I'll tell you that though! I was surprised that it's just not on the outside, had to take the whole front panel off. I wonder if you can just take the card out you have and use that?
Yeah- gonna have to flip it over, remove bottom... at least it's clean this time- not full of wort. A little clean water falling out is fine. Now just have to find time to do it.

My Brewie is back in business. The connectors to the boil tank heating element were improperly installed and corroded.
I am attaching instructions for the fix that I got from someone from the Brewie Owners Group on Facebook. Original author is Kylie Potter. This is to be used with the instructions on how to get to the boil heating element from post #1220.

Attachments

• Fix for boil tank heating element no longer working.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
My Brewie is back in business. The connectors to the boil tank heating element were improperly installed and corroded.
I am attaching instructions for the fix that I got from someone from the Brewie Owners Group on Facebook. Original author is Kylie Potter. This is to be used with the instructions on how to get to the boil heating element from post #1220.

Good stuff, is yours original or B+?

So... anybody ever remove a Brewie B20 (The Orginal, not B+) Control Panel?
Supposed to just "pop" right off I guess (see directions I was given) but I cannot find "the clip"
Also- my control panel looks a little different than the pic.
Worried the Original is taken off differently than the B+. Or, maybe not supposed to at all?
Any help/advice today is greatly appreciated! Would like to get a brew in today

Attachments

• [E119] Front panel.pdf
    365.8 KB · Views: 71
No idea. Maybe a fuse? (Sorry my smart response- see my previous issues above).
Probably a bad heating unit. Submit a ticket via the website.

App- ask for it via the customer service email. They will send you beta version info.

Good luck!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep us posted- on everything!

Thanks.

Well here is my reply. Mate at brewie support pulled my logs from serial # provided. He offered to repait it I sent it in or he would send me parts to repair myself (with instructions) and guaranteeing warranty would remain valid. I opted for the parts. I received documentd next day in email and parts aprox 2-3 weeks later (wed of this week) and I've done the repair.

When looking at the push on connectors to the heater one was completely disintegrated and the other was melted pretty bad. My parts included new wire set (not just heater) and i replaced every part mate sent.

I'm now doing a sanitize clean and boil heater is working again but I'm very worried this is going to happen again. There is that distinct smell you get when electronics overheat coming from the Brewie. I'm hoping I'm wrong and it's just a new heater smell.

If sanitize finishes properly I will try a brew and will report back.

Thx.

No idea. Maybe a fuse? (Sorry my smart response- see my previous issues above).
Probably a bad heating unit. Submit a ticket via the website.

App- ask for it via the customer service email. They will send you beta version info.

Good luck!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep us posted- on everything!

Thanks.

Also wanted to add they sent me app via my google account but i can't get the brewie to connect. It finds it when I search for it but cantc ever connect???

Back