Brewhouse Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the early posts here, there was talk of links to the Brewhouse site for doing mods to the recipes. I took a look at the original link, but it doesn't work anymore. Anyone know where the new site is?
My first Brewhouse was a by-the-book IPA, which I will be sampling tomorrow (10 days after bottling).
My second is a Prairie Wheat with Wyeast 3068 and a hopsack full of fruit in the primary for 10 days, the racked into a carboy. I'm bottling it next weekend I think.

For you Alberta guys, where do you get your extract kits from? How are the prices?

In Edmonton, Winning Wines Plus has them. I think the regular price is around $39 but every month a different kit is on special for $34

The Winning Wines Plus has a special Brewhouse kit: the Alberta Bock. Just bought one at the Sherwood Park location - $39. Bought a Bavarian Lager Wyeast pack, and just made a starter this morning. It'll be the first time I use my "new" fridge for fermenting. I'll keep it at 10C until the diactyl rest, then down to 4C for a month or so.

Hoping for good results!!

I just emailed Spagnol's. They plan to have a new website up in June.

I've got two kits of the Alberta Bock on the go.

Btw, I'm doing the Bock, as well as a couple of Pilsner kits, at cellar temperature. I'm using Munich lager yeast for most, but I'm also using a Belgian ale+English ale combo for the rest.

Was thinking of doing a bock as well (if I can get it here in ON?)

How much of the lager yeast did you use? I ended up with a smack pack of 2308 but the whole starter yeast thing seemed a bit intimidating for a first timer so I ended up using the included yeast for the Munich Dark ths time. Plus I didnt want to invest in a temp controller
Or chest freezer until I know I'm going to stik with it.

First kit was the red ale and it turned ok. A little cloudy but drinkable. We'll see if it improves with a little ageing.

I don't think you'll be able to get the Maibock in Ontario.

I used a smackpack of the lager yeast without starter. No prob. I do it all the time.

Glockentalk,
I just pitched a Wyeast Belgian Farmhouse Ale yeast into a Brewhouse Pilsner. Seemed like those would be a decent match. I had the yeast from January (oops...) so I'm using part of the brewhouse kit as a starter in the main fermenter, and I'll pitch the rest of the wort and water later. Have you done the Pilsner/Belgian ale yeast before?

^No, but I've used the Belgian yeast to good effect in other kits: pale ale and Munich dark. I blend the Belgian yeast with a British ale yeast because I read that the Belgian alone can get stuck. I figure that the Pilsner/Belgian should come out pretty close to a standard saison. Same goes for the Maibock.

we learned this steeping method from an article found online ages ago and have not had issues with it at all.
Pour grains into water, bring it up to 150 F. take off the heat and let it rest covered and wrapped to keep the heat in, then drain the resulting wort through cheese cloth and add it to the kit instead of water. all our brews using this method to hack kits have come out nicely. looking up my old brew notes ... this comes from : Jovial Monk Brew Manual.

Things we've done with this method:

SUPER BLONDE ALE: Brewhouse honey blonde ale with 500G of pure corn flakes steeped and added to the bagged wort.

Coffee Porter: Brewhouse Dark ale kit with 250-300(?)g of chocolate malt steeped and then cold French pressed coffee added at bottling.

Oaked IPA: 500g of Crystal malt steeped and then added to the IPA kit. Goldings hops added 3 days before bottling to the carboy.

Orange Cerveza: soak orange peel in vodka for 2-4 days and add to secondary about a week before bottling.

we've done a few other but these are the ones worth mentioning:)

Back