Brewfather PH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supahotfire

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question regarding how Brewfather calculates PH?
I have filled in my water profile with information from my local water source and the ph is 8.5 and everytime I make a new recipe and add my ingredients Brewfather tells me its around 5.8 and does all adjustments based of that number?

Am I missing something?

Hi,

I have a question regarding how Brewfather calculates PH?
I have filled in my water profile with information from my local water source and the ph is 8.5 and everytime I make a new recipe and add my ingredients Brewfather tells me its around 5.8 and does all adjustments based of that number?

Am I missing something?

That sounds fairly expected. The pH of your brewing water has minimal impact on the mash pH. The alkalinity or buffering power of the water is the most important factor. With my tap water, I would expect a pH of around 6.0 for a light colored grain bill, maybe 5.5 for an amber beer, and the pH might drop down to 5.0 for a stout or porter (due to the roasted grains and crystal malts).

Latest posts

Back