Brewery upgrade help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattco353

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm hoping some seasoned brewers can help with a query regarding a planned upgrade. I started AG brewing around three years ago with some DIY equipment and while it's been working very well I'm considering adding a pump for re-circulation. I have a highly insulated MLT (made from a keg) with copper manifold and the hot liquor tank is a well insulated copper cylinder (calorifier) with electric element and basic thermostat. The MLT is capable of maintaining mash temperature within 1.5 C without adding any additional heat. (i typically mash in with strike water at 72 C which gives me 67 C for mostly ale styles and I tend to end up around 65.5 after an hour for a standard infusion mash). I'm thinking of adding a pump (and some basic controls) to recirculate through a copper coil in the liquor tank) and my question is how worthwhile is it likely to be ? Am I correct that the main benefit should be clearer worts and somewhat higher efficiency? Your thoughts please :)

Latest posts

Back