Brewery Startup Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jprime23

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am an aspiring brewer with a multitude of questions on starting my own line and brewery. I currently have my name, logo, bottle designs and specific beer names all finished and ready to go, but that's it. I am curious on what next steps I should take if I was looking to have another brewer distribute my product. I have 0 idea if this is the right place to go and ask, but if whoever reads this has any idea or knows who I should ask I would be eternally grateful. This is my dream and I'm floundering in the water a bit at the moment. Google answers are far too vague and non-inclusive.

Thank you,

Beer Addict

Not a pro here, but...

Curious that you say you have everything ready...except the actual beers. Have you developed those recipes? Have you focus-grouped them to see if people would actually buy them?

Look for a brewers guild in your state. Pretty sure every state (in the US) has one. I know there's one in my state. They should be able to help you with the distribution side questions. That's on my list for when I plan to get my own brewery going (hope in another couple/few years, other things need to happen first). I already have my recipes developed and have been gathering feedback on them over the past year (or so).

Have you also looked at the differences, in cost and other factors, for canning instead of bottling? FWIK, cans are less prone to breakage either during packaging, or shipping. Handle higher pressure levels too. Less risk of leaking seals as well. I'll be looking at canning lines right off the bat. There are plenty of small systems out there. Also, from what I've found out to date, they're not all that expensive (in the grand scheme of things).

Looking for the best way to find brewers in my area who have the knowledge, passion and drive to open a small brewery/tasting facility. I am the owner of a 3000+ sq ft open single story commercial building that I believe would be a great location for this. Currently developing the adjacent property into residential second story / commercial first floor. Downtown location on major roadway in a growing smaller community 1 hr west of Chicago. Would be interested in equity stake in any venture. Was a home brewer long ago but not intersted in the operations side. Suggestions of where to start?

Back