Brewery build with 50l kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMV

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. I am currently brewing 5g batches (all grain) and my system is as primitive as it gets. 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler for MLT, 7.5 g stock pot (boil done on burner when weather is nice, or stovetop) racking Cain and carboys. Looking to upgrade and build a brewery that could handle 10g batches in the future. I know a guy selling 50L kegs for 25$ a pop. I believe that's around 13.5 gallons....is that big enough for 10 gallon batch(boil wise, I don't know the volume needed for 10 gallon batch)? This is a project I am gonna chip away at, and do as much research as I go. Would ultimately like to do a single tier do to lack of head room in the basement where I brew. And where it's inside I imagine I would have to go electric (herms coils?) Any advise, links to builds and info is appreciated!

Adam

I would think that would be big enough for 10 gallon batch. My boil off rate is about 1.5 gallons. I would think that would be pretty consistent moving up in batch size. So in my head that should work for you perfectly

Thanks for the reply. For 25$ a keg even if I get the 3 for my build, and it's to small of a kettle, not that much of a loss so I think I will pull the trigger on them

He's got 28 of them. Trying to think of any other uses for them. Maybe get 4 in case.

As far as other uses for them not sure. If you're ok with the extra cost for a 4th one id agree, go for it. What General area you in? I wouldn't mind getting one if he's close to me. I'm in Chicago area

Yeah I don't plan on doing 10 g batches for a while. Was planning on a 4500 eliment. If I have to switch stuff over to a 15g keg it should still be good enough

I do mostly ipa's and IIpa's, good call! Give or take 28 lbs or grist might be tight in a 13.5 gallon mash tun. I am looking for 1/2 barrels. Only wanna build it once, even if I am only doing 5 gallon batches for a while

For what, the 13.5 gal (50L) kegs? They are in Everett. A guy out in the Brockton area has a few 15.5 waiting to hear back

Latest posts

Back