Brewers Hardware 15 gal jacketed conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy

I bought one several years ago and have been on a brewing haitus since 2014 really. Got to batches under my belt this year and wanted to ask about cleaning this sucker. Who else has one and can give me some tips? Especially for the three side ports and the upper shoulder area.

TD

I use the same fermenter.
I CIP with hot PBW for 30 minutes with the ports all open (not much gets out on the cement floor), then use a sponge and PBW to wipe down the underside of the shoulder and the ports. Works fine.

Follow with hot water rinse, as usual.

What is you CIP process? I have a few different CIP balls. The large one I use through the lid/port 4" or 3" TC port (I forgot if it is 3 or 4") with an adapter. I haven't figured out if I should use a length of pipe to lower the ball into the conical or let it run right under the port or some combination of that I suppose I could put Elbows onto the side ports with drip buckets to keep from making a mess. I run a sump pump in a bucket under the main dump port to recirculate the hot water and PBW through the CIP ball. Doesn't seem to get things perfectly clean though. I haven't had enough experience using this yet to figure out the best way to clean it so any specifics would be appreciated.

TD

specifically questioning where you run your CIP ball and if you use an extender pipe or not. Need to buy a nice sponge!

Last edited:
I use BH part # CIP12F12TC30 directly in the 3" port with a 1/6hp sump pump in a small (3 gal?) bucket placed under the dump port. I have a 1/2" street elbow and a male camlock adapt the 1/2" hose to the CIP ball.

No extensions. A larger pump might help blast the little bit of krausen that is left behind, but its a simple matter to reach in and wipe it with a sponge.

Something like a dairy brush and a sponge used with long gloves would probably do just fine. CIP isn't really necessary on a fermenter this small, IMO. But I have it, and it does run unattended, so I can do other things while it's running.

thank you! That's a nice looking CIP ball. I had to fashion one out of component parts but the result is about the same. I don't think that one was available or I didn't see it when I purchased mine. I also have a tiny one That'll clear a 1.5 TC port. Maybe I might try that to rinse those side ports now that I think of it.
RH

Latest posts

Back