Brewers Edge Mash & Boil with pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennisusa

Reaction score
A few questions on these units before I pull the trigger

(1) Has anyone tried replacing the stock ball valve that comes with the Mash & Boil with pump? Ball valve are not sanitary and I'd prefer installing a model that can be disassembled for cleaning.
(2) Does anyone know of a pickup tube that could push fitted into the drain from the inside?
(3) Will a BIAB bag work in this system?
(4) Can one pump the wort out rather than gravity feed from the ball valve.
(5) Any good / bad stories to share would be appreciated.

Thanks

I’ve brewed with the M&B for a little over a year and a half now, and have had good experiences. I bought the one without a pump, but use my Blichmann Riptide. I have also wanted to replace the ball valve with a butterfly, but haven’t made that change yet. I’d like to hear if anyone has done so.

I did unscrew the barb and replace it with a male quick disconnect, and I use my Riptide to recirculate. To be clear, the barb it comes with will work for recirc, but I like quick disconnects EVERYWHERE!! Haha

It can take awhile to get to boiling, and even then it is just barely boiling, it seems. The reset button is on bottom of the unit, so if it overheats you would have to very carefully tilt the unit and try to reach that button. Only happened to me once, and now for boiling I only heat the unit to 217. The wort reaches about 211 on that setting, but it works.

I have made some very good beer with this unit and using proper methods. It’s definitely become a centerpiece in my garage brewery. I built a brew stand and it has an upper shelf, with a Brewer’s Edge sparge water heater at the edge of that shelf. The nozzle is tapered a bit but flattens out at the tip, so I can put a 1/2” silicone tube on the end of it. (Pictures attached) With the M&B grain basket raised up, that sparge tube hangs perfectly inside it, and I just move it around to sparge evenly. I just bought an Exchilerator Hangover and Sparge Arm, so I’ll be using that from now on.

I realize your question was from January so I don’t know what you decided to do, but I’ve been content with the M&B, with the addition of the Riptide pump and the Brewer’s Edge Sparge heater. I came across this post while looking to see if anyone has replaced the ball valve.

Happy brewing, mate!

77192D09-7288-4BF3-A470-D88C838D2628.jpeg
9B242C40-74D8-4A6A-A820-700F1D3EB66A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back