Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil Detailed Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just did a detailed review of the Mash & Boil electric e-BIAB unit. It performed very well and definitely is worth it's money, performing much better than its $300 price tag would make you think.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2017/09/hands-on-review-brewers-edge-mash-boil-electric-brewery.html

HBT No longer wanted to post hands-on reviews if vendors provided the equipment free of charge, so I had to go elsewhere. But if anyone has any questions about my experience that isn't captured in my review, feel free to drop me a line!

Hi. Sorry to revive a year+ old thread, but I thought I'd ask here so others can see, rather than PM you.

I'm looking to buy one of the Mash and Boil electric e-BIAB systems. It seems like a great bang for your buck. I've been brewing all grain with a cooler Mash Tun, Hot Liquor Tank, propane burner setup, and my brew days are long. Looking to go e-BIAB primarily to shorten the day, but also simplify and to be able to brew inside.

I read your review and it gave a lot of great information, thanks! But I did have a question that you didn't mention... what sort of mash efficiency can you expect from this system? I assume it will be low due to it being BIAB, but I'm also thinking I could buy a wort pump and recirculate during the mash, which I expect would help.

My main concern isn't necessarily low mash efficiency, but the 7.5 gallon size. A low ME can always be fixed by just adding more grain, but not if your max boil volume is something like 6 gallons. Not that I do a lot of high ABV brews, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how limited I would be.

Thanks in advance.

what sort of mash efficiency can you expect from this system?

I got about 72% looking at my profile I created in BeerSmith. I've evaluated a number of e-BIAB units, and for me, they all seem to be around there. The variables I've seen are if I'm brewing with a bag and give it a good squeeze/wrenching to get out all the juices, I usually gain about 2-3% efficiency. And the 72% is with doing some batch sparging, pouring about 0.5 - 1 gallon of 168F water through the malt pipe at a time. If I did full volume mash, I would see around 70%.

And I did exactly as you were thinking, I had a pump so I ran my own recirculating mash. That helped keep my temperatures more accurate as well on the controller. Or should I say, closer to the mash volume average.

I got about 72% looking at my profile I created in BeerSmith. I've evaluated a number of e-BIAB units, and for me, they all seem to be around there. The variables I've seen are if I'm brewing with a bag and give it a good squeeze/wrenching to get out all the juices, I usually gain about 2-3% efficiency. And the 72% is with doing some batch sparging, pouring about 0.5 - 1 gallon of 168F water through the malt pipe at a time. If I did full volume mash, I would see around 70%.

And I did exactly as you were thinking, I had a pump so I ran my own recirculating mash. That helped keep my temperatures more accurate as well on the controller. Or should I say, closer to the mash volume average.

Awesome. Thanks! 72% efficiency doesn't sound too bad. Do you have any issues squeezing the bag? I've always heard never to do that for whatever reason. Off flavors I guess.

Do you have any issues squeezing the bag?
No issues that I've noted. I will add though, that my bag squeezing (pardon the phrase) hah been done on a different system that actually uses a bag. With the M&B malt tube, I suppose you probably could ram something down there to size the grains. The mash bag lends itself much easier to this though.

Hi. Sorry to revive a year+ old thread, but I thought I'd ask here so others can see, rather than PM you.

I'm looking to buy one of the Mash and Boil electric e-BIAB systems. It seems like a great bang for your buck. I've been brewing all grain with a cooler Mash Tun, Hot Liquor Tank, propane burner setup, and my brew days are long. Looking to go e-BIAB primarily to shorten the day, but also simplify and to be able to brew inside.

I read your review and it gave a lot of great information, thanks! But I did have a question that you didn't mention... what sort of mash efficiency can you expect from this system? I assume it will be low due to it being BIAB, but I'm also thinking I could buy a wort pump and recirculate during the mash, which I expect would help.

My main concern isn't necessarily low mash efficiency, but the 7.5 gallon size. A low ME can always be fixed by just adding more grain, but not if your max boil volume is something like 6 gallons. Not that I do a lot of high ABV brews, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how limited I would be.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not OP, but I've had a Mash and Boil for a little over a year.

I can get up to a 7.5% abv beer with about 70-72% brewhouse efficiency with the Mash and Boil. I use a DC powered small solar pump from Amazon ($25). I only picked up a few gravity points by recirculating. That's with a target fermenter volume of 5.25gal. I get about .8gal boil off per hour.

If you want to get a higher abv, while strictly using the Mash and Boil, you can always add some DME or LME.

Another idea: keep your cooler mash tun and use the Mash and Boil to heat up strike water and for a boil kettle. Actually, this is what I do. I only use my Mash and Boil on super cold winter days in the house. My primary system is a DIY 240v RIMS system that I use ~9 months of the year.

My process:
1. Heat strike water in the Mash and Boil
2. Mash into the 10gal cooler
3. Heat sparge water in the Mash and Boil and transfer to a smaller 5gal cooler.
4. Drain the cooler mash tun into the Mash and Boil and batch sparge.
5. Boil in the Mash and Boil.

I'm not OP, but I've had a Mash and Boil for a little over a year.

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. That's a good idea, just using it to heat strike / sparge water separately from a propane burner. It sounds like there are a few different ways the M&B can help my brew days, whether it's a full eBIAB solution or a just another heating element that I can automate.

My wife has been asking me for gift suggestions, and I can't see much better for the price point.

Can I ask where you heard this? I don't see anything on their website about it. I also searched these forums but didn't find anything there either.

I heard it also . My aunt owns a homebrew store . She told me she heard around xmas time .

I heard it also . My aunt owns a homebrew store . She told me she heard around xmas time .
Can I ask where you heard this? I don't see anything on their website about it. I also searched these forums but didn't find anything there either.

i emailed brewers edge and they told me that the distributor would be getting them at the end of the month and to have my lhb reach out to buy.

I wish they would announce what changes they are making.. I want to get one of these to use while I build my system.. (tired of not having homebrew) but would like to know if it is worth holding out for....

Baloo

I wish they would announce what changes they are making.. I want to get one of these to use while I build my system.. (tired of not having homebrew) but would like to know if it is worth holding out for....

Baloo
Rumor I heard was a pump and immersion chiller . Could be more to it then that but that's what I heard

its basically the same thing + a pump. i did not hear anything about a chiller or any changes in size/power. (i could be wrong)

A lot of places are going to have the first version on sale for around $240 for black friday. you can buy that and a Bayite pump for ~$25 on amazon to recirc.

Thats what I am going to do to get me through the winter (and for small batches and recipe development) until I can evaluate the upcoming SS single vessel system..

its basically the same thing + a pump. i did not hear anything about a chiller or any changes in size/power. (i could be wrong)

A lot of places are going to have the first version on sale for around $240 for black friday. you can buy that and a Bayite pump for ~$25 on amazon to recirc.

Thanks for the info. I would rather have a pump separate anyway I think. If it breaks, it's easier to replace. And I can pick the pump I want rather than being locked into whatever comes with the unit. I see lots of complaints about the Robobrew built in pump.

I was hoping they were going to increase the size. I would gladly spend another $100 for the increased capacity. But if I can find any good black Friday deals for the v1 I think I'll take it.

I know this post is super old but I use the mash and boil and have a question. Does anyone else have an issue with the draining taking an extremely long time. I brewed today and let it drip and sparged for almost 90 minutes. I also use a brewbag so as time went on I started messing with the bag to make things faster.

I know this post is super old but I use the mash and boil and have a question. Does anyone else have an issue with the draining taking an extremely long time. I brewed today and let it drip and sparged for almost 90 minutes. I also use a brewbag so as time went on I started messing with the bag to make things faster.
Other posts mention long sparge times though not 90 minutes. I just did my second batch on the M&B with pump — a 4.25 gallon recipe but 14+ lbs of grain (Belgian Strong Dark Ale) with a Wilser BIAB in the malt pipe. The sparge — just guessing — was maybe 45 minutes with 1.75 G and I squeezed the bag as I always have. The flow was better on this brew than it was on the first 9lb, 5G batch — I think a 1/2 lb of rice hulls made a big difference. I haven’t entered my #s in an efficiency calculator yet but I know it is definitely better that the first batch. I know the max on this unit is 15 lbs but that is likely pushing it so rice hulls makes sense, I stirred frequently even with the recirc pump.View attachment 710858

Back