Brewers Edge - Mash and Boil system $300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this thing have a pump on board? Does it self recirculate or anything? Or is it more like a big percolator in that it heats water to specified temp and can hold temp, but no recirc? Confused how it actually works on the inside.

Not sure why entire quote didn't come thru: post #31
The printer stand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MS6WMO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

On the blog for this product, they talk about how the unit needs to be reset sometimes, even during a brew session. It had to do with the thermometer. I'm wondering if a stand that's wires, rather than a solid shelf, would make sense, granting access to the reset button, which is under the unit.

Not this, but like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Stackable-Closet-Shelves-Chrome/dp/B0017L6CB2/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1490015651&sr=1-7&keywords=portable+shelf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd configure it differently​ than intended. Maybe one shelf low for pump and plate chiller, one shelf at optimal brew height, and the basket on top for stability but with a hole cut to accommodate the unit lined with something to keep it from scratching like a piece of split tubing.

I'd configure it differently​ than intended. Maybe one shelf low for pump and plate chiller, one shelf at optimal brew height, and the basket on top for stability but with a hole cut to accommodate the unit lined with something to keep it from scratching like a piece of split tubing.

I have a similar shelf in my basement and I'm pretty sure the top shelf has to be at the top. The hole that the posts go into are capped at the top. When I zoom in on the top corners, the metal at the top looks the same as the bracket. Not sure, though.

Hmmm...I assumed it was like the shelves and could be placed anywhere on the uprights. I guess you could mount pump & chiller to the basket and cut a hole in the top shelf if it has to be on top

On the blog for this product, they talk about how the unit needs to be reset sometimes, even during a brew session. It had to do with the thermometer. I'm wondering if a stand that's wires, rather than a solid shelf, would make sense, granting access to the reset button, which is under the unit.

Not this, but like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Stackable-Closet-Shelves-Chrome/dp/B0017L6CB2/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1490015651&sr=1-7&keywords=portable+shelf

Like this?
Alera 3-Tier Wire Rolling Cart, 16 by 26 by 39-Inch, Black Anthracite https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FDX5IG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Make sure you check weight capacity of the unit before purchasing. Fully loaded you're in the 60 pound range.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Q&A on the William's Brewing site for this product, it says the a kettle screen could not be used because the included valve does not have female threads. Any ideas on how a kettle screen could be attached? Maybe a new valve?

On the Q&A on the William's Brewing site for this product, it says the a kettle screen could not be used because the included valve does not have female threads. Any ideas on how a kettle screen could be attached? Maybe a new valve?

There really isn't any room between the mash basket and the existing valve. You would need to extend the feet of the basket to raise it above any modification.

They said any valve will fit as long as it was 7/8 or 22mm. I'm planning to change the valve on mine when I get it to one with a dip tube. As long as a screen will fit under the basket, changing the valve to accommodate one is more than possible.

There really isn't any room between the mash basket and the existing valve. You would need to extend the feet of the basket to raise it above any modification.

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot about the basket and there would be no way to attach one after the mash. I saw your video with the addition of the silicone tubing to decrease the loss at the bottom of the kettle. Maybe a screen could be attached to the end of the tubing?

Thinking about it, I only would need this for the boil, I could care less about using it for mashing, and continue using my cooler mash tun. Are their better options for the price?

Are their better options for the price?

If you already have a kettle, yes! And even if you don't already have one, yes!

A Hot Rod from Brew Hardware is one option.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotrod.htm

Or you can get a Hot Pod (also from Brew Hardware), an element, some extension cord and a plug. Punch a hole in your kettle and you'll have an eKettle for about $50. Buy a 15 gallon kettle and add another $100.

Having just received mine, I can see what you are saying about there being no room between the basket and the valve. how does your silicon tube even fit between that tight space?

Having just received mine, I can see what you are saying about there being no room between the basket and the valve. how does your silicon tube even fit between that tight space?

The hose is 3/8 thin wall silicone so it is very flexible. It does get pinched but not enough to stop the flow but significantly slower with the basket in place. Removing the basket allows the flow to return to normal without pulling the hose out.

Well, thanks to filing my taxes and the IRS for allowing me to give them an interest free loan for the last year, I pulled the trigger on the Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil! :D Can't wait to give it a try. I've been extract brewing only since the late 90s so this will be my first foray into all-grain. Wish me luck!

mine came last week, i havent got round to using it yet as i still have 1 more extract kit, before i move into all grain.
Also i bought the catylist fermentation system, and the brewers edge fits perfectly on the fermentor holder and is a great height for sparging, win win for me.

mine came last week, i havent got round to using it yet as i still have 1 more extract kit, before i move into all grain.
Also i bought the catylist fermentation system, and the brewers edge fits perfectly on the fermentor holder and is a great height for sparging, win win for me.

Great! Good luck to you! Be sure to post after you do to let us know how it went.

just unpacked mine and those still curious whether it is double walled, it is. Mine came with a big crease/dent in it. I tapped it out of the inner cyclinder with a rubber mallet, but the outer cyclinder is still dented.

just unpacked mine and those still curious whether it is double walled, it is. Mine came with a big crease/dent in it. I tapped it out of the inner cyclinder with a rubber mallet, but the outer cyclinder is still dented.

Did you buy a scratch and dent model? If not, give Williams a call. They'll make it right.

Did you buy a scratch and dent model? If not, give Williams a call. They'll make it right.

No, it just came that way. I'm sure they probably would, but it seems to function properly, so I'll probably just hang on to it. I need it next weekend my son is excited about coming home from college to brew a batch with it.

No it just came that way. I need it next weekend so I doubt I'd get a replacement in time. It seems to function properly. A bit disappointing, but wtf it's just cosmetic
img_33521.jpg

img_33501.jpg

Maybe they'd refund some of your money if you're willing to keep it? Match the scratch and dent prices? Or maybe they'll offer up a gift certificate? I would call. They've been good to me in the past, and I will gladly recommend them to anyone shopping online. I do try to shop local first though.

Called Williams they offered either to exchange it or give me some money. It is double walled, but there is no vacuum between them, so it doesn't seem that there will be any functional problems. I told them I'd just use it for a while and call back if there are any problems. It has a 1 year guarantee anyway.

Okay so I think it was in here that someone was asking about a kettle screen or Dip tube etc.
I brewers for the first time this weekend and I definitely won't accept almost a gallon of kettle loss due to the valve system that they chose for this electric brewery.
I mentioned that I had purchased a flush mount bulkhead from northern brewer. Looks just like this.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359482.720928.jpg

Well I knew the dip tube would stick it too far so I cut it as short as I could.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359549.625958.jpg

And ended up with it about a quarter inch shorter.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359577.508515.jpg

Well I installed it into the kettle and just as was predicted, the basket sits on top of it still. I ended up using a carbide but cutter and notching the lower lip of the basket to make a notch that went up to the bottom screen since the metal really doesn't need to extend that far down.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359665.428390.jpg

After the notch, the basket still slightly touches the dip tube, but now sits lower enough to allow the lid to close.

I will call that a success and will try brewing with it this way in the next couple weeks. Also I can now attach my pump directly to the outlet to use it for recirculation and the to transfer my wort to my fermenter after chilling.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359773.993764.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359788.974403.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359803.136435.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359812.490994.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491359821.892712.jpg

I am constantly looking for updates on this brew setup. As a newer brewer who has a need/desire to move beyond the kitchen setup this has some strong appeal over buying a kettle ($200) with a propane burner($40+propane). Biab for simplicity and easy cleaning is a big draw for me as I'm not ingrained with old mash setups being that I am new.

With that said, it seems like too easy of a solution. I get that it's lower power than the grainfather but the 120v outlet is what I have available anyway...

Is anyone using this that doesn't actually recommend it? Top things you wish you'd change?? Can the pot detach from the heating source?

I brewed with it for the second time and still love it. You can not detach it, it's one unit so if I had concern it's that if/when it dies after the 1 year warranty it might just have to be tossed and replaced. I added some insulation this time around and am going to get some tubing so there isn't as much loss in the bottom. Eventually I will add a pump but I am happy with it.

I guess shame on me - I must have read the specs from the international version on their site and assumed the US version operated with the same voltage requirements. "Power" in my post was referring to the voltage of the outlet as opposed to the heating element.

I brewed with it for the second time and still love it. You can not detach it, it's one unit so if I had concern it's that if/when it dies after the 1 year warranty it might just have to be tossed and replaced. I added some insulation this time around and am going to get some tubing so there isn't as much loss in the bottom. Eventually I will add a pump but I am happy with it.

I'm brewing today (mashing right now) for the first time and everything seems to be going well so far. I added insulation which I do think helps quite a lot - it seemed to get up to temperature quite quickly although I can't be more precise than that because I forgot to time it. I agree that the only downside I see right now is that the heating elements cannot be replaced so if they fail after a year you just have a big stainless storage container.

- Update: Just started the boil and compared to BrewSmith's estimated pre-boil gravity I'm only off by .001 so I'd say a good start. Very pleased with the performance of the Mash & Boil and easy to use.

Back