Brewers Edge - Mash and Boil system $300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-MASH-BOIL--P4216.aspx

This thing actually looks pretty sweet.
- $300
- 1600w
- control panel
- can hold 16lb of grain
- no pump... but that just makes it a little more simple and cheaper, which works for me

B27a.JPG

Do you want to get into mashing but want something simple? The patent pending Brewer’s Edge® Mash & Boil makes it easy. No need for an outdoor burner, complicated brewing stand, or a 220 volt special circuit - it plugs into any 110 volt GFI household outlet. The Mash and Boil’s exclusive double wall stainless construction conserves heat to achieve a rolling boil with only 110 volts and 1600 watts, and its precise thermostat and internal sparging basket lets you mash and boil in the same vessel.

A typical brew day with the Mash & Boil begins with formulating your 5 gallon all grain recipe (up to 16 pounds of crushed grain can be mashed), and then heating your strike water to 162° F, the preset heat temperature. After 40 minutes or so, your strike water is 162° F, and you mix your crushed grain into the sparging basket already inside the Mash and Boil. The mash will cool to 152° or so, and then you set your thermostat to 150°, cover, and let mash for 1 hour. During this mash time you will need to separately heat 3 gallons of sparge water to 175° in a separate pot you provide. A thermometer hole is provided in the lid, in case you want to monitor the temperature of the top of the mash with any long probe analog or digital thermometer.

After one hour, lift the sparging bucket and lock on its included legs, and let the malt sugar drip into your Mash & Boil, which has now became a boiling pot. Turn the thermostat up to 218° F. and give it about 40 minutes to heat to a boil. During this time, ladle one gallon of hot sparge water at a time into the top of the sparging basket until you get to 5½ gallons. Now remove the grain basket, and when the boil begins, add your hops as per your recipe. Boil for 1 hour, and then cool with a suitable wort chiller (not included, our item E81 works well as does any immersion chiller that is up to 11" in diameter). Or use the stainless valve with ½” hose barb to run the wort through your external chiller.

The Mash & Boil features an adjustable thermostat, with an adjustable run time preset at 3½ hours for safety. It also features a delayed start timer, so you can program the Mash and Boil to turn on up to 24 hours after setting. For example, load it with strike water, and have it set to be hot when you come home from work to save time. Intended for 5 gallon batches, maximum capacity is 7½ gallons. 28” tall closed, 40” tall with basket, 14” wide. A 5' power cord is included.

Didn't see another thread on this

As an indoor (stovetop) brewer, I find it odd that strike water target would be ten degrees higher than mash target (162 v. 152). I often lose less than 5 degrees when I mash in. I would hope that the strike target is adjustable, but the promo indicates that it is preset.

I brew indoors and have found the same so now I generally add the grain at temp and add heat as necessary. If something like this was available when I went all grain I probably would have been tempted. My first brew pot was $200, induction heater $200, Brew basket $200, finger to push buttons on induction heater for temp adjustment priceless.

I was looking at this unit as well, the 1 year warranty kind of makes me a bit uneasy on it. That bottom of the unit busts in a couple years and your are stuck.

As an indoor (stovetop) brewer, I find it odd that strike water target would be ten degrees higher than mash target (162 v. 152). I often lose less than 5 degrees when I mash in. I would hope that the strike target is adjustable, but the promo indicates that it is preset.

I'm assuming the discrepancy is that you're a full volume brewer and this system is assuming a sparge.

And I see no reason why you couldn't set what mash temp your want. I believe the promo text is simply giving an example brew day to try to sell simplicity, but that's just a guess.

I'm assuming the discrepancy is that you're a full volume brewer and this system is assuming a sparge.

And I see no reason why you couldn't set what mash temp your want. I believe the promo text is simply giving an example brew day to try to sell simplicity, but that's just a guess.

I magnified the control panel section of the picture and there are 4 buttons on it, an on-off, a set, and up and down arrows so it sure looks like the strike temp can be adjusted.

Brewers Edge:
Brew Day
Mash Water temp 102F -162F : 23min
Mash 153F to Boil 47min! Boil setting was set during sparge

I'm liking it! Best Brew Purchase Ever:)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGJ1M5lvGw&sns=em[/ame]

Nice SpottedDogBrewing, thanks for posting! What kind of efficiency did you get? Did you do any manual re-circulation or just leave the mash alone?

Brewers Edge:
Brew Day
Mash Water temp 102F -162F : 23min
Mash 153F to Boil 47min! Boil setting was set during sparge

I'm liking it! Best Brew Purchase Ever:)

Can you confirm that the strike temp and mash temp are fully adjustable? I know there has been some confusion about that based on talk about a pre-set strike temp.

OK you guys convinced me, just ordered one. For those of you already brewing with this unit, how important is it to add the Mark II? Thanks

Can you confirm that the strike temp and mash temp are fully adjustable? I know there has been some confusion about that based on talk about a pre-set strike temp.

The directions clearly indicate that the default strike temp can be adjusted using the up down arrow controls. It appears the mash temp can be set on whatever temperature you choose, the instructions recommend 150 degrees.

Maybe recirculating while the basket is in the kettle you won't lose temp, just like it's done on the grandfather, then spage with your 170 water from another source.

Maybe recirculating while the basket is in the kettle you won't lose temp, just like it's done on the grandfather, then spage with your 170 water from another source.

Exactly! This was a trial run and will need some tweaking. I already have some ideas so stay tuned for some updates. Thanks for the comment!

Thanks for the video, I think this will work well for my needs for weekday indoor brews. I just ordered one. Do you think something like this would work well as a stand? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MS6WMO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 It's 13 1/2"H printer cart with laminate top 19"W x 16"D and they claim it will hold 300 lbs. Looks like it has locking wheels.

71kY0UgSiWL._SL1434_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that! If one were so inclined a pump and plate chiller could be mounted on that wire shelf pretty easily.

1st off I want to thank the person who posted up the video. I am actually seriously considering this.

Or going electric on my kettle, but if this brings it to a boil, can do 5 gallon batches, then why not?

Williams brewing I know for a fact is a fantastic company.

1st off I want to thank the person who posted up the video. I am actually seriously considering this.

Or going electric on my kettle, but if this brings it to a boil, can do 5 gallon batches, then why not?

You're welcome stay tuned for more updates!

This seems like a nice unit for $300, it really does. For me, the extra $500 for the grainfather with integrated automation temp control, pump and chiller is not worth the cost increase.

This unit and an immersion chiller is all you need. Imo

Only downside to this over a 240v, much higher wattage system is time to temperature, and a more vigorous boil.

Upside is that you can plug in almost anywhere once unboxed.

Yeah, that's how I feel, automation is nice but not that valuable to me as I really enjoy the process. I just want an easy system to do 2.5 to 5 gal batches indoors or outdoors. I ordered mine and a hop spider. It shipped yesterday and should be here by the weekend.

scottibones - Williams Brewing says it's only recommended for 5 gallon batches but do you think you could do full volume BIAB style 2.5 gallon batches?

His seems like the route I will eventually go. I am just getting back in to homebrewing and am going to go try out the traditional biab method, but this seems like a nice vertically integrated way to brew in my tiny apartment.

Yeah, that's how I feel, automation is nice but not that valuable to me as I really enjoy the process. I just want an easy system to do 2.5 to 5 gal batches indoors or outdoors. I ordered mine and a hop spider. It shipped yesterday and should be here by the weekend.

scottibones - Williams Brewing says it's only recommended for 5 gallon batches but do you think you could do full volume BIAB style 2.5 gallon batches?

Yes you should have no problem unless you're brewing a big beer with a huge grain Bill. The batch I brewed had a 6 pound grain Bill and 3.8 gallons of water. Of course if you're talking about being to small of a batch that would not be a problem as the basket is close to the bottom of the pot leaving room for fully soaked grain.

This looks great - thanks so much for posting. I've been sticking with extract for many years because I like brewing inside and don't want a bunch more equipment to store. This seems ideal because it's got just about everything and won't take up much more space. My prior thought was a 220v induction hot plate and do BIAB so this is really similar but in one unit.

Back