Brewers best kölsh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy13

Reaction score
I am brewing the brewers best kölsh rite now.
Has anybody brewed this kit before?
Just wondering what to expect out of it as far as taste. Never brewed a kölsh before.
Is a secondary recommended?
It's been in primary for 3 days so far and is Rockin!
Temps between 64*-69*.

I justed kegged this last night. So I can't comment on taste yet. but no i didn't secondary it. 2 weeks in the primary 3 days cold crashing and now kegged. my OG was 1.044 my FG was 1.010. I'll repost once i taste

Taste wise I think the yeast used will play huge part. I used wlp029 but if you used the dry wheat yeast ( I think) that comes with it you might get some wheaty banana or clove flavors. You don't have to secondary it but to stay true to style and really clear it out you might want to. But style wise it also calls for a "very pale" color which is difficult to achieve using extract in my opinion. Either way it's a nice spring & summer style that appeals to most.

This was the first kit I ever brewed back in February, didn't use the liquid yeast. I did 1 wk primary, 2 wks secondary, then kegged under 10 psi for two weeks. I am not very picky when it comes to beer, but I thought this was delicious, and would definitely brew this kit again.
After I brew a Hefweizen, I will brew this Kolsch again.:mug:

Latest posts

Back