Brewers best ipa transferred to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbuecker71

Reaction score
So this is my first brew ever...after reading about opinions of a secondary and different ideas and methods I decided to just follow the instructions. Which was to transfer to secondary after 5-7 days when bubbling was almost done. So 7 days later I had 3 bubbles a minute so I sanitized and transfered to a 6 gallon glass carboy. My OG was 1.063 and today's transfer I was at 1.014. I did this at 3:30 a.m. So my taste buds were a little off especially after coffee. It smelled great but tasted a little bitter. I would assume that it's got a long way to go. Should it be this bitter at this point? I'm gonna let it sit for another two weeks before I bottle. I'm sure you guys sampled your beers at some early point and was just curious if I'm on the right track. I gotta keep telling myself that's it's way to early and it's still really cloudy and it was 70F! Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Well, it's an IPA so yes it will be bitter. Later, after conditioning, the bitterness will be affected by carbonation and the lack of "green" taste, so it will be better for sure.

You gonna dry hop? That will add a nice (non-bitter) hop punch in the nose which will add complexity and flavor to the brew.

Cheers!

I hear you, it's fun to taste test, but warm, flat, green beer doesn't always taste great ;). Like he said above, the IPA style is bitter. Relax, give it time.

My first brew was a brewers best amber. LHBS recommended doing a 3 week primary and skip secondary. Took a gravity reading at 2 weeks and it was bitter and had an alcohol bite. After 3 weeks during bottling, it was good.

Well not sure about dry hopping because I don't know what this beer(ipa) will be like as it is. Anybody ever brew it? Brewers best ipa? I love me some hops though! And wow I can't believe how just in a few hours how much has settled in the carboy already! I see a clear layer on top....love the glass!

Back