brewed my first PM, and i think i need to start AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetragichero

Reaction score
for my second brew, i made a partial mash rye ipa roughly based off of http://menuinprogress.com/2009/07/rye-ipa-partial-mash-recipe.html

my problem with this (and the first i made, extract with steeping grains) is that the wort is WAY darker than it should be
from reading the forum (and my own knowledge of the kitchen), this is most likely because the extract carmellized, correct?

i'm not too worried because i'll still be beer, and it's been bubbling furiously since about an hour or so after pitching the yeast (used dry yeast with a starter because i had time to kill)

guess i should make the jump to all grain (saw a propane burner and 30qt pot at walmart for like $40) so i can brew some beers that DON'T look like brown ales?

With that 30 qt pot, a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, and a cheap Corona mill knock off you will be able to do BIAB all grain. You'll get to choose the color of your beer by choosing the proper grains to do so instead of buying malt extract where the maltster made those choices for you.

You have multiple problems. Your beer is darker because the malt extract has some unknown other malts in it, you have darkened it further by boiling it, and it looks way darker in the fermenter than it will in the glass because of the quantity.

Keep it. Next time to reduce carmelization of the extract, just wait until the last 15 minutes of the boil to add it in. You'll end up with slightly more hop utilization from your bittering additions and you'll get less carmelization of the extract while still getting it sanitized in the boil. Plenty of great brews can be made from extract, you just have to research a little more into how best to use it.

wonders never cease!
when i pitched the yeast, it looked as dark as a porter
just took the first hydrometer sample and it's roughly 7-8 SRM!
my guess my paranoia came from all the trub in suspension?
anyway i still wanna try all grain because SMaSH sounds fun, but i'm psyched this is going to be a killer ipa!

somewhere between the picture with and without flash

IMG_20120222_234344.jpg

IMG_20120222_234407.jpg

Back