Brewed my first from scratch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you,
I did Biermuncher centennial Blonde last month but it was his recipe and grains crushed by the lhbs hope this turns you into good beer and not just drinkable swill.
One piece of advice to you just starting that will save you a bunch of time is, your fermentation is the most important part of making a good beer. Make sure your pitching the right amount of yeast, that your temps are right, and that you let them finish and clean up before your bottle or keg. I find people are so focused on the ingredients and brew day but fail to put the same importance on their fermentation!

If you used proportions similar to proven recipes and didn't think "outside the box", there should be no reason that you don't get a good beer.

It is when people make their first beer and just start putting ingredients together with no knowledge of what each contributes or doesn't than they get something swill or even undrinkable. Something like using 5 pounds of Black Patent malt and expect a clean crisp flavor - it won't happen.

Good luck and start planning the next one.

I looked at other recipes and while tempting to put in all sorts of grains kept it simple with pilsner, pale, and another few for color and flavor as that seemed appropriate for Kveik.
I have a fermwrap and inkbird wifi controller holding it at 85f along with my 1/2 inch blow off hose. yep i am a geek, gotta try wifi

Last edited:
At 5pm last night things were moving and thought about average but still relatively clear and dark. Woke to this at 1 am with a super fast put put from blow off container yet only 3/4" krausen. Looks like a snow globe on a video I took. Amazing.
IMG_20190625_031535589.jpg

Last edited:
It would fall from 85f to 84f approx an hour later then heater would come on, yesterday it held at 84.6 for approx 7hrs by itself. Measured by sensor taped and covered by bubble wrap. This is with just a heavy towel wrapped around Bmb

Last edited:
Looks kinda warm.... I cringe when mine get over 78ºf Maybe that yeast likes it? I have created my last 27 recipes, which are a basic platform of an IPA, Porter, Stout, I use the same yeast every time and tweak the ingredients, hops or adjuncts. This way I can narrow down my variables and get it where I want and know what is doing it.

Most ales I ferment in the 62-69f range. This yeast is a beast and ferments 72-98f. I went in the middle with 85f. I also used Chinook, Cascade and centennial to hopefully help fill out the fruit flavor while keeping IBU low.

Kveik at 86F. Check.
Snowglobe effect fermentation. Perfectly normal.
Three C-hops with a yeast that can give a citrus perception. Outstanding.

I have a hunch you'll like it if carbed correctly. I'd love to experiment with a summer brew using a Nord strain but the two shops I frequent aren't stocking it.

Took a gravity reading using the refractometer and after using online calculators it is 1.005. the little taste from the sample dropper is good. Now to wait a few days for majority of krausen to finish falling then bottle priming I think for 2.25 volumes. Is that good or should I make this blonde a little higher?

Just turned off the heat to the fermenter since it appears that the majority of the krausen and yeast has fallen and now just bubbles. Will let it cool overnight to room temp 69 degrees and bottle in the morning. Compared to fermentation temp that is almost a cold crash lol

Bottled it up this morning which would be 8 days from pitch. OG 1.051, FG 1.006.
Sample was a bit malty and fruity. Can't wait to see what it is like once carbed. After measuring actual amount bottled it will be about 2.6 volumes co2.
It is slightly darker then photo.
IMG_20190702_131546229_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Been bottled one week and put one in the fridge for 24 hours so I could see what's happening. No head but steady stream of bubbles in glass. Has a slight tart fruit with a touch of the farmhouse funk after taste. Saison like. Man now have to wait two more weeks.
Color is dark honey which is what I was shooting for.
IMG_20190710_184728710_HDR.jpg

Now just over two weeks bottled, spent 36 hours in the fridge. Farmhouse funk is gone, more floral and fruity, light flavor
IMG_20190719_170047496.jpg
like a tangerine or little cutie smells when you peel it. Not strongly and there is a subtle pine flavor in the background. Thinking it is the balsam tips I put in at 15minutes to end of boil.

I am happy with the results and will drink them with a smile.

Back