Brew stores in Houston.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
So I live in Houston TX and love brewing. I've been always going to Ray in the woodlands and just stopped by Defalcos. Defalcos has the selection, but no one seemed to want to talk to me.

Where do yall go?

when i was living in houston 2 years ago I just bought from AHS. shipping just takes a day from austin.

I usually go to ray, if there's something I know he doesn't have I'll get it online.
If I need something really fast I'll go to the new one in humble as it's just down the road.

I go to DeFalco's. They're very friendly every time I go in there. My only problem with them is they don't always have the grains I need in stock.

What store in Humble? I don't know of this one. I'm guessing its not amazing because you still go to the woodlands.

Defalco seemed like an awesome place, but I was in there for about 45 mins and no one even said hi. That turns me off from a store.

Any of you guys in a brew club or something? I know of KGB but that's about it. Never checked them out yet. Anybody a member?

http://www.backyardhomebrewers.com/home.html

thats the store in humble. I'm part of the club that meets there but its only just started.

I still go to the woodlands because Ray treats me right and I was going there before the store in humble opened. That and swmbo works down the street, I email ray, he puts everything in a bag, she goes and picks it up on her lunch break. I never have to even go into the store.

The store in humble has everything Ray does and they're also the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I spend more time there, just usually buy my stuff from Ray.

stat said:

thats the store in humble. I'm part of the club that meets there but its only just started.

I still go to the woodlands because Ray treats me right and I was going there before the store in humble opened. That and swmbo works down the street, I email ray, he puts everything in a bag, she goes and picks it up on her lunch break. I never have to even go into the store.

The store in humble has everything Ray does and they're also the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I spend more time there, just usually buy my stuff from Ray.

I need a swmbo like that. Sounds like you got it set.

I'm def interested in joining a club, what all do yall do?

There's only been two meetings so far.
So far we've just sampled each other's brew and shot the **** for three hours. The conversation ranges from brewing to cars to kids.
Each month there's a featured brewer and there's just a few minutes of listening to his bio.
Last time I brought two different ipa's. The more experienced brewers liked one while the new guys liked the other, it was pretty informative.

They're talking about in club competitions and stuff but there's nothing set in stone.

The brew store in humble seems to have events and classes just about every weekend.

I understand regarding going to Ray's, great guy. If I did not have the opportunity to open a business that I enjoy I still would go there.
We started the shop to have a place that like minded people could share their passion and grow as home brewers.
If you get a chance stop on by, we always have great Homebrew on tap...

I usually go to Defalcos, and it really is a great place once you get to know it. The staff can come off as cold sometimes, but they've gotten way better in the new location. I find it really friendly, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't really liked to be bothered when shopping.

Backyard brew is a great place as well. Picked up a couple of ball leg kegs for a great price today.

Brew It Yourself in the Woodland may also be a good place. I'm rather turned off by the huge discrepency in the listed online prices and actual store prices though. Online they have kegs listed at 34.95, but in the store they told me $46 when I went in to check on stock. They also didn't answer the phone the 4 times I tried calling earlier today.

digitalhifi said:
Brew It Yourself in the Woodland may also be a good place. I'm rather turned off by the huge discrepency in the listed online prices and actual store prices though. Online they have kegs listed at 34.95, but in the store they told me $46 when I went in to check on stock. They also didn't answer the phone the 4 times I tried calling earlier today.

I never actually compared the prices online and in store, might want to do that. Did you ask him about it?

I agree with the phone not being answered, at least now they have a listed phone number that is actually connected. Lol

I get my 10% off there, you need spend enough money to get it. The guys are awesome, unique personality.

BackyardHB said:
I understand regarding going to Ray's, great guy. If I did not have the opportunity to open a business that I enjoy I still would go there.
We started the shop to have a place that like minded people could share their passion and grow as home brewers.
If you get a chance stop on by, we always have great Homebrew on tap...

I'll come by some time to check it out. I can always go for some homebrew

Very excited to stumble onto this thread! Wish I had found it sooner as I just went to DeFalco's yesterday to buy ingredients for my first brew session alone. I've done a few batches with a friend, but I don't like the way he does some things, so after a couple of years of putting together equipment, I'm taking the plunge on Tuesday morning. I live in the Atascocita area, so could have saved myself a long trip, and met some local area brewers. I'll definitely be checking out Backyard Homebrewers very soon.

In fact, I'd be going tomorrow if they were open. The Events section doesn't list anything after early November. I'm assuming that's due to the holidays. Anything going on there in January?

Ok I'm a very big proponent of Brew-It-Yourself and Ray is always helpful, in fact he has stated if I can get 4-5 guys together that want to learn how to do an All-Grain brew he would do a demo for us.

He has been really helpful whenever I go in there and he has an assistant that brews as well and always has good advice on the weekends.

That being said, he knows the website is out of date, he doesn't answer the phone because he is always busy, and I'm always seeing him run around helping somebody. This next year is his 10th year anniversary and he is planning on updating the website during that time.

I also noticed a place opening up called Grape and Grain on 24914 Tomball Pkwy. Have not been in there yet, though I plan to. They offer classes for homebrewers.

Well, as much as I would like to patronize my Local HBS, I'm not sure I will be able to make it to Backyard Home Brewers very often. I thought I was going to go last night. I work in the Galleria area and normally don't leave until after 6 PM, but planned to get away a little earlier. One page of their website says they are open until 7 PM on Thursdays, but I thought I would call just to make sure. The guy that answered the phone said Nope, we close at 6.

So it was off to DeFalco's who are open until 8 PM. I guess BYHB is not interested in having home brewers with day jobs as customers. I'm sure I'll check them out some weekend day, but if I'm going to brew, I want to get started early on Saturday morning, which means I need to pick up any last minute supplies on a weeknight.

Plus I've had no problems with the service at DeFalco's where I've now been twice in the last week. In fact, both times the guys helping me were great!

Back