brew stoopids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Hey bottlebomber what's that?
Its my brand new plastic test vial I bought after breaking my glass one.
Why is it all melted?
Cause I left it too close to the Bayou Burner.
What's that trapped inside the melted test vial bottlebomber?
Why its my hydrometer smart@ss.
Well how are you going to check your gravity now?
Why don't you go slap yourself.

Not my finest moment.

ForumRunner_20110903_142535.jpg

If it makes you feel better broke my first hydrometer taking it out of the package, slipped right out of my hand and boom, had to send someone to get me an new one because I already started brewing.

Revvy said:
Best stooopid brewing mistake EVAH!!!!!

It feels kinda dumb. Luckily I got a reading for my preboil gravity and I know the volume, so I think I can calculate the OG from my post boil volume and have a chance at being smaaaaart!! :tank:

This reminds me of that guy who dropped a stir bar into the boiling flask causing a mini-volcanic eruption... oh wait... :D

Seven said:
This reminds me of that guy who dropped a stir bar into the boiling flask causing a mini-volcanic eruption... oh wait... :D

Suck it dude. I really need this 3 day weekend. At least im not too proud to share my fails. :mug:

i melted the side of my mlt by sitting it to close as well......lucky for me the lid and side both melted so it shuts super tight.....maybe that is Winning!!

Chia said:
i melted the side of my mlt by sitting it to close as well......lucky for me the lid and side both melted so it shuts super tight.....maybe that is Winning!!

Yep! You won!

I have mentioned it on here before...

1) I used to put boiling wort directly into a glass carboy
2) I use my pool as a chiller.
3) One night, after doing both, I lost 5 gallons of wheat beer into my pool; broken carboy. Giant glass/wort/algae mess. Had to wait for the wife to go to bed, then wade around in freezing (january) pool fetching shards. She was none the wiser.

Another time, I lost my boil pot out in the pool. It floated to the middle, and while I was trying to "reel it in" without tipping it, the rain came. I did end up with an infection (the rain came through my pool's screened enclosure, and I'm sure something nasty from the screen got in there). Here's a pic of that insanity:

P4040022.JPG

passedpawn said:
I have mentioned it on here before...

1) I used to put boiling wort directly into a glass carboy
2) I use my pool as a chiller.
3) One night, after doing both, I lost 5 gallons of wheat beer into my pool; broken carboy. Giant glass/wort/algae mess. Had to wait for the wife to go to bed, then wade around in freezing (january) pool fetching shards. She was none the wiser.

Another time, I lost my boil pot out in the pool. It floated to the middle, and while I was trying to "reel it in" without tipping it, the rain came. I did end up with an infection (the rain came through my pool's screened enclosure, and I'm sure something nasty from the screen got in there). Here's a pic of that insanity:

ROFL! You just made my life.... thanks for sharing that :D

Just yesterday I dropped my liquid thermometer and melted my siphon. Poor siphon bent at a 45 degree angle at the last 4 inches. It still would have siphoned too except the one way valve melted too. Way to go *******. Had to get creative in transferring my brew to the fermented.

All hail passedpawn the new king of redneck...

Best I have dont with a hydrometer was using the glass test jar that I picked up when I first started, pulled a sample, droped in the hydrometer with a little spin and walk away for a few to let it settle. When I come back to get the reading, the jar is empty and the counter is sticky:confused: Hydrometer went through the bottom of the glass test jar:mad: that was a fun one to explain. I use plastic now lol

dover157 said:

Best I have dont with a hydrometer was using the glass test jar that I picked up when I first started, pulled a sample, droped in the hydrometer with a little spin and walk away for a few to let it settle. When I come back to get the reading, the jar is empty and the counter is sticky:confused: Hydrometer went through the bottom of the glass test jar:mad: that was a fun one to explain. I use plastic now lol

Uuuhhh..... that was exactly how I broke the glass test vial I replaced with the plastic one.

My stuff's a bit nicer than that now. I even polished my kegs (and I have a plate chiller, etc now). But here's another pic to tickle my humility and your funny bone. BTW, if you look closely you'll see there's a spa in the background that overflows into the pool. Shortly after this pic, I started putting my pot in there, and it chilled very quickly with the water running around it (there were some near disasters there, too, one involving my dog... I have pics / video somewhere... )

P4040021.JPG

I dunno man, that pot of beer bobbing around in the swimming pool it pretty priceless... it almost looks like it need to have arms, and be holding a beer itself FTW

Last year, doing stovetop, not full boil:
Pour wort into fermenter after chilling.
Set pot on stove.
Go into bathroom to start filling a bucket with top-off water.
Smell smoke. Run into kitchen.
Pot is smoking, I'd left the burner on.
Run pot out to apartment balcony and put it on the ground to reduce the amount of smoke filling up the apartment.
Go inside, fire alarm is going off.

Later that night remember the balcony floor is painted tar.
Pot was ruined. Balcony floor has never been the same.

We've all done some stoopid stuff. Some will share, some won't.

Or the guy who poured water into boiling honey when he was making a bochet...oh wait....:eek: (water instantaneously boils violently, boiling honey sticks to you, and it's really f*ck!ng hot...)

Back