Brew Stand Critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbooth

Reaction score
I'm by no means a woodworker, but I am planning on giving brew stand plans to a friend who can build one for me. Hoping to get some feedback on here from people with experience in building a brew stand. Does this look like a sound structure? Posts are 4x4, nearly everything else is 2x4. Plan to put the whole stand on casters.

ScreenHunter_01%20Mar.%2015%2021.42.gif.jpg

Larger image is here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yAwebeT0X0HfF0a5nzHEQA?feat=directlink

Structurally, I think it is overkill. 8 4x4's? That thing is going to weigh a ton. 2x4's for shelves? It's not a deck, and that would be overkill for a deck. I'd swap the 4x4s with 2x4s, and replace the 2x4s with either 1x4s or MDF or plywood.

Those are my initial thoughts. I'm all about overkill though... but it seems like way too much wood, for me :)

:mug:

Structurally, I think it is overkill. 8 4x4's? That thing is going to weigh a ton. 2x4's for shelves? It's not a deck, and that would be overkill for a deck. I'd swap the 4x4s with 2x4s, and replace the 2x4s with either 1x4s or MDF or plywood.

Those are my initial thoughts. I'm all about overkill though... but it seems like way too much wood, for me :)

:mug:

I guess I did get carried away on the wood :)

I'm going for a "deck" look, though...

I shrunk all 4x4 to 2x4 and all 2x4 to 1x4, so i guess that should cut the weight of the stand in about half! I added a couple 1x4s on a few levels just for aesthetic purposes too.

Bigger picture here

ScreenHunter_04%20Mar.%2016%2000.05.gif.jpg

Don't let the height get away from you. Carefully consider how high your HLT will be and if you will be able to handle the weight of it when setting up and dismantling. No doubt you will have some water left over in the HLT after your brew session and will you be able to safely bring it off the sculpture?

Make certain you figure the height of your castors or wheels into the system. The more weight you have, the bigger those items may need to be.

You will make some awesome beer with this rig. GL

Don't let the height get away from you. Carefully consider how high your HLT will be and if you will be able to handle the weight of it when setting up and dismantling. No doubt you will have some water left over in the HLT after your brew session and will you be able to safely bring it off the sculpture?

Make certain you figure the height of your castors or wheels into the system. The more weight you have, the bigger those items may need to be.

You will make some awesome beer with this rig. GL

Good call. I dropped the 2nd and 3rd tiers down a foot each and still should have 2 - 3" clearance from the HLT ball valve to the top of the MLT and from the MLT ball valve to the top of the keggle.

23855_382420914390_657949390_3634113_1455304_n.jpg

Just about done! (Used redwood with a fast drying spray coat of lacquer)

Still need to:

1. add 4 casters to make it mobile and raise it up 4 or 5 inches so the ball valve on my keggle clears the lip of a 6.5 carboy/bucket
2. purchase & convert a second keg for my HLT
3. purchase another burner for the aforementioned HLT
4. thinking of burning "Booth's Brewhouse" along the diagonal boards in shack-ish writing (think backards r's and e's) with a soldering iron or something
5. dress it up with some hooks to hang equipment from

I'll be on my way soon enough! Suggestions anyone? Preferably for adding stuff. Not removing. Thats sort of out of the question at this point and I'd rather not wish in one hand :)

23855_382420914390_657949390_3634113_1455304_n.jpg

Just about done! (Used redwood with a fast drying spray coat of lacquer)

Still need to:

1. add 4 casters to make it mobile and raise it up 4 or 5 inches so the ball valve on my keggle clears the lip of a 6.5 carboy/bucket
2. purchase & convert a second keg for my HLT
3. purchase another burner for the aforementioned HLT
4. thinking of burning "Booth's Brewhouse" along the diagonal boards in shack-ish writing (think backards r's and e's) with a soldering iron or something
5. dress it up with some hooks to hang equipment from

I'll be on my way soon enough! Suggestions anyone? Preferably for adding stuff. Not removing. Thats sort of out of the question at this point and I'd rather not wish in one hand :)

I really like the redwood used in your stand. Looks outstanding! Very nice job!

Awesome work. Looks very nice. I am still in the "drawing board" process on mine. This gives me some ideas on how to build mine!

Looks great!

One modification I would do (if it were me) would somehow make sure the burner can't move around. Tough to tell from the pic but I would be afraid that one leg might get knocked into the gap and create a wobbly kettle of hot liquid.

Looks great!

One modification I would do (if it were me) would somehow make sure the burner can't move around. Tough to tell from the pic but I would be afraid that one leg might get knocked into the gap and create a wobbly kettle of hot liquid.

I'm with you on that one. I'm actually looking at buying two of these. Higher BTU's and looks to be more secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work. Looks very nice. I am still in the "drawing board" process on mine. This gives me some ideas on how to build mine!

Good luck. Only took my buddy and I maybe 4 hours tops? Then again, he is a woodworker with access to an awesome cabinet shop :)

Got the redwood from Lowes. Bought 8 pc. of 2x4x8 (framing/support) and 10 pc. of 1x3x10 (shelving). Bought a ton of gold decking screws a few lag bolts (those were really more for aesthetics than anything, but they seem to have added a bit of strength anyhow) and a few cans of lacquer spray.

Spent just over $200 on all material.

Back