Brew salts rook here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrfrk182

Reaction score
05257C9A-4FA3-477B-836C-0A2AAC055D2F.png
05257C9A-4FA3-477B-836C-0A2AAC055D2F.png
I have had some great input on water profiles for an all grain Kölsch I’m brewing using RO water for the first time using salts.

I’ve been playing with the calculators built into beersmith, as well as EZWater and John palmers app, however it can be very frustrating trying to reach my targets.

I think I found something I can settle on. Can anyone assist by letting me know if these salt additions look acceptable?

Thanks.

Recipe

8# Pilsner

1# carapils

2ml 85% phosphoric acid

Thanks!

People recommended 110ppm sulfate for a kolsch?

It looks fine I guess. That's more minerals than I would add though.

People recommended 110ppm sulfate for a kolsch?

It looks fine I guess. That's more minerals than I would add though.
No that was higher than people said, but I couldn’t get it lowered without putting all the other numbers in the red zone.

Why don't we start with what numbers you're trying to hit?

Actually I would just eliminate the epsom and then drop the calcium chloride enough to only hit 65ppm calcium. But that's just my personal taste.

Why don't we start with what numbers you're trying to hit?

Actually I would just eliminate the epsom and then drop the calcium chloride enough to only hit 65ppm calcium. But that's just my personal taste.
That would help... posted. Thanks again

This would be the close to your goal without adding baking soda:

Gypsum : 0.2g/gal
CaCl2: 0.3g/gal
Epsom: 0.4g/gal
NaCl: 0.1g/gal

Which yields:
34ppm Ca
10ppm Mg
71ppm sulfate
10ppm Na
54ppm Cl

This would be the close to your goal without adding baking soda:

Gypsum : 0.2g/gal
CaCl2: 0.3g/gal
Epsom: 0.4g/gal
NaCl: 0.1g/gal

Which yields:
34ppm Ca
10ppm Mg
71ppm sulfate
10ppm Na
54ppm Cl
That looks a lot better! Thanks!
Now those additions per gallon, is that for total mash including sparge? Or total boil amount.
I have 3.75 gallon mash and 4.5gallon sparge

I would suggest to add salts to both strike and sparge water based on the volume of each.

There is no need for bicarbonate (HCO3-) in water for a Kolsch. You are going to acidify, and that step gets rid of the bicarbonate.

Don’t adhere to all components of a water profile since it’s almost certain that brewers in those places likely did things to knock down their alkalinity. Ignore the bicarbonate content and focus on mashing pH. The other component to ignore is calcium. Malt provides all the calcium yeast need for their nutrition.

Go Gators!

Don’t adhere to all components of a water profile since it’s almost certain that brewers in those places likely did things to knock down their alkalinity. Ignore the bicarbonate content and focus on mashing pH. The other component to ignore is calcium. Malt provides all the calcium yeast need for their nutrition.

Go Gators!
Thanks! Again learned something new

Back