Brew Room Organization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I'm trying to do is reduce the number of specialty grains and adjuncts I have on hand. I like to brew different recipes all the time, but it's left me with part pounds of about 20-25 different specialty malts.

One reason why I dislike shops that will only sell you pound quantities of grains, and why I'm thankful my local shop has a Wall-O-Grain and lets me measure out exactly what I need for the recipe I'm brewing. (The grain is priced by the ounce.) If I ran a shop I would do it exactly the same way.

Too bad there's no good way to do this for hops!

One reason why I dislike shops that will only sell you pound quantities of grains, and why I'm thankful my local shop has a Wall-O-Grain and lets me measure out exactly what I need for the recipe I'm brewing. (The grain is priced by the ounce.) If I ran a shop I would do it exactly the same way.

Too bad there's no good way to do this for hops!

REALLY like the Wall-O-Grain idea!

I'm lucky enough to have more brew space than most, and I have a lot of great space-efficient goodies (lots of table space, huge peg board, wall-mounted parts boxes, etc. But Moore's Law of Home Brew Space Requirements says there will never be enough! One of the biggest challenges is with what seems to be an endless array of hoses that I want to hang ... somewhere! If I could only have just one more wall...!

My homebrewshop gave me the idea of wire bins. They have a kind of track on their wall that allows them to just hook the bin wherever they want....
I didn't want to spring for anything that fancy, so I took the spare wire bins that came with my chest freezers and secured them to under my shelf I made (out of spare cedar fence stock...an expensive option these days).
I used a few spare lag-eye-screws and bike J-hooks. Essentially the wire bin stores all the glassware I have for serving. I just lift it and pivot the bike hook and the wire bin swings down and I can access a glass. Pretty cool and very secure!

My homebrewshop gave me the idea of wire bins. They have a kind of track on their wall that allows them to just hook the bin wherever they want....
I didn't want to spring for anything that fancy, so I took the spare wire bins that came with my chest freezers and secured them to under my shelf I made (out of spare cedar fence stock...an expensive option these days).
I used a few spare lag-eye-screws and bike J-hooks. Essentially the wire bin stores all the glassware I have for serving. I just lift it and pivot the bike hook and the wire bin swings down and I can access a glass. Pretty cool and very secure!

Care to share a picture of your contraption? I am interested in better utilizing the wall above my keezer which currently holds broom, mop, granny cart, etc.

Sure! It does the job and was basically free...but otherwise I'd usually try to get it a bit more perfect ...
20210726_204000.jpg
20210726_204043.jpg
20210726_204031.jpg

So just lift the rack up about and inch, twist the j-hook maybe 10 degrees and the bin drops down and hits on the wall (so the glasses don't dump out).
Oh yeah, and my keezer and ferm chamber open "suicide doors" so I had to make sure they clear the wire bins when I open them. 😆
You could probably find something better but I was lazy so I just put the lag-eye-screw in my vise and bashed it with a hammer to open up the eye about 1/4".

Besides the things already mentioned, I'm a big fan of tackle boxes to organize small parts. I have one box for kegging parts, one for triclamp stuff, and one for my assortment of connectors, thingies, and John Guest fittings.

I also have a bunch of photography developing trays from B&W Photo that I use for storage, catching drips, and holding with liquid for cleaning and sanitizing parts. Much easier to fish a part from a developing tray than the bottom of a 5 gal bucket of StarSan.

I'd admit to being a bit of a neat freak...

IMG_0859.jpeg
IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0856.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

Sure! It does the job and was basically free...but otherwise I'd usually try to get it a bit more perfect ...
View attachment 736976View attachment 736977View attachment 736978
So just lift the rack up about and inch, twist the j-hook maybe 10 degrees and the bin drops down and hits on the wall (so the glasses don't dump out).
Oh yeah, and my keezer and ferm chamber open "suicide doors" so I had to make sure they clear the wire bins when I open them. 😆
You could probably find something better but I was lazy so I just put the lag-eye-screw in my vise and bashed it with a hammer to open up the eye about 1/4".
We’ll played!

Besides the things already mentioned, I'm a big fan of tackle boxes to organize small parts. I have one box for kegging parts, one for triclamp stuff, and one for my assortment of connectors, thingies, and John Guest fittings.

I also have a bunch of photography developing trays from B&W Photo that I use for storage, catching drips, and holding with liquid for cleaning and sanitizing parts. Much easier to fish a part from a developing tray than the bottom of a 5 gal bucket of StarSan.

I'd admit to being a bit of a neat freak...

View attachment 737256View attachment 737257

View attachment 737258

View attachment 737259
Amazing setup!
What size is that wee little keg???

Do you add wood?

No, most cask-conditioned real ale is stored and served in stainless-steel barrels and exposure to wood isn’t part of the conditioning process.

I add a small dose of hops and some isinglass at kegging, and then open it to that air when I’m serving. The oxygen will change the flavor of the beer (first in the positive direction, then negative). I still brew 5 gals, but I use smaller kegs so i can get though it quickly enough that it doesn’t go bad. If I’m drinking slowly, I’ll use a CO2 cask breather so it keeps longer.

Back