Brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layne

Reaction score
Some ideas I'm working on.

brewsetup-1.jpg

lowerHLT.jpg

This one has the HLT on the lower level.

customconcaveHLT.jpg

Custom concave HLT. would hold approx 7.5 gal, but only add about 5" to brewrig length.

Dough in, Mash, and Mash 2 might need some explaining for me, just to make sure I know what you are talking about.

I really like the concave side tank, but I worry that it would be a complete PITA to clean. It is very cool, though.

Strike
Heat Strike water in BK.........................4500W in BK
Pump from BK to MT..............................BK-PUMP1-MT

Mash
Recirq thru RIMS................................MT-PUMP2-RIMS-MT
Heat Sparge water in BK, pump to HLT............BK-PUMP1-HLT

Sparge
Wort from MT to BK..............................MT-PUMP2-RIMS-BK
Sparge from HLT to MT...........................HLT-PUMP1-MT

Boil
Boil Wort,last 15 min recirq thru CFC...........BK-CFC-BK (whirlpool)

Chill
Hose, then ice h20 in HLT thru CFC .............Faucet-CFC-Drain
Then..................................................... HLT-PUMP2-CFC-HLT

To Fermenter
Chilled wort from BK to Fermenter(s).............BK-CFC-Fermenter

In the first image, I think you might have the MT and HLT labels the wrong way round. Mash, as an example, shows up with the RIMS on the HLT.

You're correct. I transfered some of the 'parts' of this image from another drawing.
Doh!

I also like the idea of the concave tank, but you are correct, cleaning it would be a pain.

Thats true. You could even put a bottom drain and slight slant, to have the best bet of removing all the water everytime.

Oh yeah, that too.
I'd have to use QDs and be able to remove everything.

i assume there will be some room between the tanks or they will be insulated? with them nestled together like that you may have some funky heat transfer between them which could screw with your temps. Just a thought.

I really like the idea of the HLT tank shape though...very good use of space!

I've done something similar to the first pic, except I had the MLT on the bottom. The HLT would drain to the MLT via gravity, then the pump would recirc the mash and drain to the BK which is on top. Then, your sparge water is added to the mash via gravity and the process is repeated. You could also fly sparge that way if you wanted to.

This way, you only need one pump.

If you go with the concave HLT, you should be fine. Cleaning is NOT an issue, just make sure you have a bottom drain so it will drain completely. Then you can wipe it out with a paper towel. Also, since it would be custom, make your sight gauge plug into the bottom of the tank so you can measure the whole volume.

The concave tank is actually clever insulation. It should decrease your boil time and keep your mash temps more stable. If you're worried about heat loss to the other vessels, throw some reflectix in between and your HLT will get to temp faster.

Definitely go with the concave! That is awesome and unique.

Heat transfer will not be an issue. You are using electric power and the HLT will always be a buffer between the hotter BK anyways.

I would not worry about cleaning, it is just water in the HLT. Rinse it out at the end of the day and call it good.

What volume kettles are you looking at?

Definitely go with the concave! That is awesome and unique.

Heat transfer will not be an issue. You are using electric power and the HLT will always be a buffer between the hotter BK anyways.

I would not worry about cleaning, it is just water in the HLT. Rinse it out at the end of the day and call it good.

What volume kettles are you looking at?

I have 2 15g blichmann kettles. One with a false bottom. My rough calculations puts that HLT around 8 gallons. Should be enough for most 10 gal batches.

Latest posts

Back