Brew Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatVermontBeerGuy

Reaction score
Hello Homebrew Talk,
I am entering an upcoming competition on July 17th and wanted to pick your brains about the best recipe to turn around the quickest. I just finished up my son of fermentation chamber so I now have a wide range of brews to pick. I was thinking of going for a Saison, but my temperature in the house only gets to 75-79F. I typically brew ales, but was thinking of mixing up, just not sure I have enough time. I would like to bring the beer into secondary to let things settle out.

Brewing 6/16
Secondary 6/24
Bottling 6/30

All suggestions, questions and comments are welcome.
Thanks,
TVBG

Two weeks from grain to bottle is plenty of time for most styles in my opinion.

Thanks. Yeah I have been leaning on trying out a Cream Ale or just doing a simple American Wheat. I just want something that is going to pop a little.

I personally would let it have more time in the bottle. Sometimes a beer needs three weeks, in my experience, before it's really ready for prime time (though some beers are different). So if I were you, I'd brew it today and bottle it as soon as you reach FG. A little yeast or sediment in the bottle won't kill you as long as you pour carefully, anyway.

As far as fast-fermenting recipes, look for at most moderate gravity--a wheat would probably be good for that. Many English yeasts are very fast fermenters and also flocculate like crazy, which makes for quick turnaround times and pretty clear beer, so that is a good option (and there are many good moderate-gravity English styles). I wouldn't go north of about 1.065. You could also make a hoppy beer and capitalize on the fact that it'll be very fresh.

Back