Brew process questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsleeke

Reaction score
I just bottled my 2nd brew ever about a week ago, a Brewers Best American Pale Ale. I have a few questions that came up during the process. Thanks in advance for your answers!

1. filtering wort. The kit had specialty grains and hops. After boiling the wort there was significant sediment (trub?) in the pot. I poured carefully but still had a lot of cake in the bottom of the fermenter. Tried to use a strainer but it clogged up too much. What's the best way to avoid this, or is it okay? I've read some people use 5g paint bags to filter - is that a common practice?
2. Starsan leftovers. After sanitizing there was still some starsan bubbles in the bucket and bottles. Is that okay?
3. Starsan bad for SS. Someone mentioned to me that starsan can corrode SS sinks. Is that true?
4. Filtering floaties. There was still some floating particles when I went to bottle, and I'm sure they got sucked in when I racked over. Should I have tried to fish them out first? I've read filtering will aerate and is a no-no. I'm guessing they will settle in the bottle, but I'd like to clear as much as possible.
5. Specialty grains dust. My specialty grains had a good bit of dust in them. Should I try to shake that out before steeping or will I lose some flavor?
6. Carb after cooling. I chilled down a few bottles to let friends try, even though it wasn't fully carbonated. We didn't drink them all - can I pull them back out of the fridge to finish carbonating, or is that bad?

Thanks again!

1. It is OK. Some people will filter out or siphon away from the trub, and some don't. A 5G paint strainer bag can work, as can a metal colander. Again, some people don't do this, and I don't do it on half of my batches or so just because of convenience.
2. OK
3. Star San is not bad. It is OK with SS.
4. Don't worry about filtering when bottling. Usually to avoid floaties like you're seeing, rack from your fermenter to a bottling bucket or something similar where you can carefully avoid picking up sediment and not have to do anything else. Once the clear beer has been racked, you can more easily mix in priming sugar and bottle from there. No matter how you slice it though, when bottle conditioning, you'll end up with some sediment in the bottles anyway. A careful pour will be all you need to have clear beer in a glass when it's all done.
5. The dust is made of up teeny bits of crushed grain. Put it in and off ya go!
6. If you mean that you primed a bunch of bottles, chilled them, drank some, and didn't drink (or open) the others, then yes- just put them somewhere at room temp for another week or two and then re-chill and enjoy.

Back